Startle Response Linked to Political Views

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
^^ We already have a pretty vast divide in how each state operates. Why do you think we have Governors and State Legislature? JHC man, think! State autonomy is NOT a bad thing, and it's a great way of showing the strength/weaknesses of varying political policies, and of having gov't that is more accountable/accessible by citizens. Politicians sitting in DC cannot (and should not) be responsible for making 100% of the government decisions at every level that affect every citizen's life.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Xavier434
What is the point of even having states if we do what you want?

:confused:

I should be asking you that question. If the federal government gets to decide everything, why even have states?

Why not just have every state secede and become their own country? All you would have to do is have each state open a up a division for foreign affairs and trade and you would be all set.

The federal government is necessary, it has many roles, including protecting our rights and liberties recognized by the DoI and the Constitution. And what we have today is the opposite, a federal government that is trampling on individual and state rights as well. Perhaps re-read the constitution? ;)

History will just repeat itself. You will run into the same kinds of problems. They will just be "modernized" forms of the problems.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
What is the point of even having states if we do what you want?

:confused:

I should be asking you that question. If the federal government gets to decide everything, why even have states?

Why not just have every state secede and become their own country? All you would have to do is have each state open a up a division for foreign affairs and trade and you would be all set.

The federal government is necessary, it has many roles, including protecting our rights and liberties recognized by the DoI and the Constitution. And what we have today is the opposite, a federal government that is trampling on individual and state rights as well. Perhaps re-read the constitution? ;)

History will just repeat itself. You will run into the same kinds of problems. They will just be "modernized" forms of the problems.

Great, then we can just keep the drug war as is. It is working really well after all, and not causing any problems. God forbid freedom be the answer and we have problems. I'd hate for it to disrupt the utopia of today.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. You may grow up in larger cities with more people, and are there for more susceptible to "mob/hive mentality" way of thinking, than people that live in wide open spaces, and are actually responsible for taking care of themselves and their families.

Hive mentality only works if emotions are cut out of the equation, and that simply isn't possible with humans.

See, we can all be crazy just like Moonbeam if we try.

People living in open spaces taking care of themselves? Please. Unless you're talking about the Amish that's a fairy tale.

IMO Moonbeam isn't crazy, he's deep. Butterbean is crazy. :p

Yeah, those city folk could get along fine without all those damn farmers screwing up the country.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. You may grow up in larger cities with more people, and are there for more susceptible to "mob/hive mentality" way of thinking, than people that live in wide open spaces, and are actually responsible for taking care of themselves and their families.

Hive mentality only works if emotions are cut out of the equation, and that simply isn't possible with humans.

People living in open spaces taking care of themselves? Please. Unless you're talking about the Amish that's a fairy tale.

Yeah, those city folk could get along fine without all those damn farmers screwing up the country.

:laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Woman Does Not Live By Hormones Alone
If you caught my post titled "Making a Mountain Out of a Molehill" (2/24/04), you read about a recent study from Belgium that shows that women are much more affected emotionally by ordinary language than men.

What is it in the female brain that would cause this super-sensitive reaction to emotional components? Believe it or not, Woman does not live by hormones alone...

There are approximately one billion nerve cells in the human brain. Not only do women have significantly more connections between these cells than men, they also have an advantage in the region known as the corpus callosum.

The corpus callosum is the main tissue ?bridge? that links the two hemispheres of the brain, running from the front to the back of the head. Some 200 million fibers facilitate the exchange of information between the left and right hemispheres. Remember when I told you that women have four times as many connections between the two sides of the brain? This is where it happens.. and it gets even more fascinating. The female corpus callosum not only has four times as many connections, it is much thicker as well ? as much as 15%! Researchers believe that this combination of size and connectivity makes women more perceptive, articulate, and verbally fluent. We are simply better equipped to move data from one side of the brain to the other. We also attune ourselves to a wider perspective in thought processing, by responding to nuances in body language, tone of voice, and other non-verbal clues. Our brains are virtual superhighways of whole-thought processing!

But what good would this gift of ?turbo? processing be if we didn?t have the ability to store a thought and pull it up for comparison when a similar thought enters the brain? Our right brain is a vast, deep vault of emotions, memories, and experiences. The key to the vault is a wonderful little trigger called emotional memory.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Despite the fact that guns kill less than .0001% of the population each year, many "liberals" are scared of them.

So let's try again, which party is ruled by fear?

Edit: Not to say that you're wrong about Republicans. They are heavily motivated by the fear of people wearing turbans. But why limit the discussion to one party?

Nonsense. Liberals are the product of greater development of neuron connections in the brain due to the fact that they grow up in cities where the amount of brain stimulation and impact from contact with other people of differing ideas, complexions, cultures, religious beliefs, etc foster a need for a much more complex thought process integration. And cities are where guns are used against other citizens. Your attitude toward guns is formed solely by whether you are pointing one or whether they are being pointed at you. In rural areas guns are sensible protection and even a source of protein. In the cities, people's children are being killed by drive by shooters.

Right, and if you lock children in a closet they will grow up to be Einsteins. You can't be crazy like me because you don't know anything.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Wrong, there is nothing wrong with farmers. They are adjusted to their culture. But today the advanced culture of Homo Sapiens Californiacus has penetrated into every living room in the world. Farmers are being dragged into a momentum of change that confounds them.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
Repubs have been campaigning on fear for 8 years. No surprise here.

Both parties campaign on fear, and they've both been doing it for much more than 8 years.

The article gives these examples of what the fearful focus on: immigration, gun control, defense spending and patriotism

Now please tell me which party makes these the issues we need to fear about?

It's not fear so much but the degree of irrational fear we are focused on. Of course your whole world view will crumble the day you realize that Democrats aren't Republicans so I can understand your irrational need to equate them.

But it's sad you don't take a deep look and instead go straight for the mantra.

The two parties agree on much more than they disagree. They don't argue about the issues they agree with, so it isn't obvious to those like yourself.

If you could escape your fear of Republicans and take a deep look at your own party, you could see it is just as evil and just as stupid. But, "limit your scope, limit your findings" seems to be the advice you only think you've taken.
Ah shit! You agree with the two parties more than you disagree. You are blind to the fact that your whole world view hinges on the two parties being the same. It's total bull shit.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Wrong, there is nothing wrong with farmers. They are adjusted to their culture. But today the advanced culture of Homo Sapiens Californiacus has penetrated into every living room in the world. Farmers are being dragged into a momentum of change that confounds them.

California in the living room? You mean television? Yeah, that's culture to be admired. :roll:

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Despite the fact that guns kill less than .0001% of the population each year, many "liberals" are scared of them.

So let's try again, which party is ruled by fear?

Edit: Not to say that you're wrong about Republicans. They are heavily motivated by the fear of people wearing turbans. But why limit the discussion to one party?

Nonsense. Liberals are the product of greater development of neuron connections in the brain due to the fact that they grow up in cities where the amount of brain stimulation and impact from contact with other people of differing ideas, complexions, cultures, religious beliefs, etc foster a need for a much more complex thought process integration. And cities are where guns are used against other citizens. Your attitude toward guns is formed solely by whether you are pointing one or whether they are being pointed at you. In rural areas guns are sensible protection and even a source of protein. In the cities, people's children are being killed by drive by shooters.

If that were true, people living in ghettos would be the smartest people in the world. Multiculturalism abounds!

Not mention, if he wants to help prevent those "drive by shooters," he'd support ending this ridiculous drug war which only empowers the criminals he is complaining about. Of course, he's not going to get that with the Democrats, who seem to be focused on the guns rather than the true roots of the problems.

Haven't we covered this? No matter what a politician believes, he/she can't campaign on the decriminalization or legalization of drugs such as marijuana (or others). That is political suicide. I know you understand this...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If that were true, people living in ghettos would be the smartest people in the world. Multiculturalism abounds!

I think a ghetto be definition is one social group and social class living in one place. If you live in NYC you are subjected to seeing poverty and seeing that these are humans as well. You are also subjected to seeing many cultures, art, music and other thing you wouldn't see in smaller areas of the country. Your mind is small and it shows in your responses.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

You have no idea what it takes to live in a city do you? I probably need to make twice as much as you to eat and live in a city. What makes you think you are better at survival? Ohh thats right, you just say that to feel good about living the peasant life.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Sigh.

Okay. Conservatives are more subject to being startled. Liberals 1, Conservatives 0

Now.

An overwhelming majority of women vote democrat. Republicans act more manly but are more likely to be in-the-closet homos.

PWNED.

Fixed and :laugh:

Fixed again.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

I think a ghetto be definition is one social group and social class living in one place. If you live in NYC you are subjected to seeing poverty and seeing that these are humans as well. You are also subjected to seeing many cultures, art, music and other thing you wouldn't see in smaller areas of the country. Your mind is small and it shows in your responses.

I live in a relatively low income area, fool. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about while your candy ass is posting comfortably from the suburbs.

Right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

I live in a relatively low income area, fool. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about while your candy ass is posting comfortably from the suburbs.

Right?

No, actually he's completely correct. The definition of a ghetto is a densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group. Ghetto's aren't multicultural at all, in fact that's a large part of the problem.

So apparently you don't know what you're talking about.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Sigh.

Okay. Conservatives are more subject to being startled. Liberals 1, Conservatives 0

Now.

An overwhelming majority of women vote democrat. Republicans are more manly.

BURNED.

You're comparing women to men. You should be comparing more and less easily-startled women against one another. Same for men.

EXTINGUISHED.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
^^ Those people will likely be addicted just as easily whether it's legal or not. How many people do you know who have done / do drugs?

Enough to realize that your opinion is based on a lack of experience and understanding of how much these kinds of drugs can effect someone's life and the lives around them. You think they are only different from alcohol and weed because they are illegal? You got another thing coming if they remove those laws. Thankfully, that will never happen because those in power are smarter than that.

There's no doubt that drug addiction causes great suffering. But in determining the correct drug policy, that cost must be weighed against the far greater cost of keeping drugs illegal.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Excelsior

Haven't we covered this? No matter what a politician believes, he/she can't campaign on the decriminalization or legalization of drugs such as marijuana (or others). That is political suicide. I know you understand this...
It's amazing to me that many of the same states that in the name of "personal freedom" don't require that adults wear helmets when riding motorcycles will NOT allow adults to smoke pot.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Right?

Well I live in LA and while it could be argued that it is just one big suburb it is also a large center for culture, art and music. In fact i live walking distance from the LACMA. I think you should go to a museum and look at some art. I have also lived in NYC (brooklyn) and metro DC (both NE and NW) and i moved from a small city in Ohio. I've seen all sides of this issue. I'm not going to say I know more then you about everything but I'm 90% sure on this topic that you don't know what your talking about.