Starting to think this i7-970 is the problem...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I have an i7 930 running at 4.0Ghz (1.24V vcore) using 1600 Mhz memory running at 1589 Mhz (as close to rated speed as I could get it), so it is most certainly doable. In fact, if you have a truly stable OC, the memory controller will be stable too and have no issues running RAM at normal speeds. Otherwise, you can't really say it is a stable overclock, now can you? ;)

So you couldn't manage a stable overclock at the memories' rated speed? :confused:
Kindly explain your understanding of the word 'doable'?

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
So you couldn't manage a stable overclock at the memories' rated speed? :confused:
Kindly explain your understanding of the word 'doable'?

I had to wait until I got home to verify this. It's actually running at 1528 (or 8x BCLK of 191). My next option is 10x or 1910 Mhz. I didn't really see a value in risking it, especially since I have the memory undervolted slightly and would like to keep it that way. However, yes, if you wish to be pedantic, I'm only running at 95.5% of rated speed, but we're talking about claims that he needs to run memory at the next bin lower. Mine is just because that's the closest I can get to 1600Mhz without going all the way to 1910Mhz.

You recognize that I have no way of getting an exactly 1600Mhz clock for my memory with a BCLK of 191, yes?

supaidaaman

Nov 17, 2005
why not run with the 25x mult? That should get you to 1600 just fine. I tried running 4ghz with a higher bclk/lower multiplier and it was the same performance on all benches. I was under the impression that higher multiplier will put less stress on the parts.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I had to wait until I got home to verify this. It's actually running at 1528 (or 8x BCLK of 191). My next option is 10x or 1910 Mhz. I didn't really see a value in risking it, especially since I have the memory undervolted slightly and would like to keep it that way. However, yes, if you wish to be pedantic, I'm only running at 95.5% of rated speed, but we're talking about claims that he needs to run memory at the next bin lower. Mine is just because that's the closest I can get to 1600Mhz without going all the way to 1910Mhz.

You recognize that I have no way of getting an exactly 1600Mhz clock for my memory with a BCLK of 191, yes?

I recognize absolutely all of what you said. Well 95.5% of it anyway!:whiste:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
why not run with the 25x mult? That should get you to 1600 just fine. I tried running 4ghz with a higher bclk/lower multiplier and it was the same performance on all benches. I was under the impression that higher multiplier will put less stress on the parts.

i7-930 is multiplier locked.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

well dur.. lets think about this.. you have a bclk of 191.
Now a bclk of 191 over a bclk of 133 as stock, is a significant overclock on the QPI.

Now your complaining because you cant get an exact number though overclocking because the multi's wont scale in the decimal points?

Why do you think people pay a lot of money for pure unlocked cpus?
So we can leave bclk at 133, play with the multi only, so we can get perfect memory clocks like you wanted.

You cant have what you dont pay for bro.

i7-930 is multiplier locked.

Yeah.. and your bclk is 191... u have no room to complain period.
Its a known FACT in basic overclocking... if u need to RAMP FSB, or QPI, you also need to get the FASTEST ram possible, if u want the best overclock.

1600mhz ram is not the fastest, and with a Bclk that high, you should be actually thankful, its not 1333mhz ram and its 1600mhz, and u can still keep below stock speeds with your bclk.

Lastly, this is JPS's thread... can we not hijack his thread.
His Gulftown issues and your Bloomfield issues are completely different.

If you want to have people help you with bloomfield, make a new thread.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Please read what I was replying to.

I said he didn't need to underclock his ram even if he's using 12Gb if it is stable and used mine as an example. Another poster jumped on me because 1528 was not 1600. I was answering the questions asked of me. I'm not trying to hijack, and by no means am I asking for help.

I stated a position. Someone started nit picking what I said because the ram technically is slightly underclocked. I said why it was had nothing to do with stability and everything to do with multipliers.

I was addressing the spurious claim that he would never be able to run his memory at the rated speed.

If you want to fuss at someone, feel free to fuss at Jacky60 who just had to have details.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Please read what I was replying to.

I said he didn't need to underclock his ram even if he's using 12Gb if it is stable and used mine as an example. Another poster jumped on me because 1528 was not 1600. I was answering the questions asked of me. I'm not trying to hijack, and by no means am I asking for help.

I stated a position. Someone started nit picking what I said because the ram technically is slightly underclocked. I said why it was had nothing to do with stability and everything to do with multipliers.

I was addressing the spurious claim that he would never be able to run his memory at the rated speed.

If you want to fuss at someone, feel free to fuss at Jacky60 who just had to have details.

Yeah Stop hijacking the thread!

Kaleidoscoper

Apr 6, 2011
I have a custom built PC back in the shop and the client is complaining of instability - lockups, BSODs, etc. The system is built around an Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-970 CPU, 24 GB of G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL, MSI 460 GTX, 750W PSU, and 6 HDDs.

Anyways, when it first came in, I ran memtest86 v4.0 with all 24GB in and as soon as it hit Test #7 [Block Move], it errored out hard and continually. I removed one set of 12GB and ran Memtest again - same deal. Pulled two of 3 remaining sticks and ran memtest again - ditto.

I swapped in a 12 GB set from Mushkin - same deal again. Tried 12GB of Corsair Dominator and the same deal again.

Starting to think this might actually be a CPU issue since the controller on the i7-970 is on-die. I have scoured Intel's website to try and find a bootable utility that would analyze the CPU and let me know if it is damaged/defective, but I cannot find anything.

Does anyone know what might be happening with this system or have any ideas to try to and get the system stable? I have pretty much pulled my hair out and have torn the system down and rebuilt it twice only to find the same result.

Hi

Today I installed prime 95 on my little i7 980x, 12GB (6x2GB) Patriot 1600 XMP enabled, Sabertooth, C300 air cooled system. It boaked up a prime95 hardware error after about 5 minutes. The arse fell out of my little world. GOOGLE HELP!!!! I downloaded memtest 86 and got the same test #7 error big screen of blood. I too got the hours of errors no matter what I tried stripping it down, one stick, two stick, rebuilding, stabbing it...

I cried after I read in the ASUS mobo manual that more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. I think I've killed my heavy in the hand £750 on die controller.

No, I had not. I installed memtest 86+ version 4.20 which ran a treat with my cut down to 6GB all singing and dancing Patriot gadgers. Error free. Free of errors. i7 980x error free...

Enhancements in v4.10 :
  • Added support for Core i7 Extreme CPU (32nm)

*** Enhancements in v4.20 : ***
  • New Features
    • Added failsafe mode (press F1 at startup)
    • Added support for Intel "Sandy Bridge" CPU
    • Added support for AMD "fusion" CPU
    • Added Coreboot "table forward" support
  • Bug Fixes
    • Corrected some memory brands not detected properly. Like Patriot.
    • Various bug fixes for you so you don't have to worry anymore
I could not see my caches in memtest 86 v4.0. Can you see yours?

I wish I had read the ASUS manual. I read it today, though! More than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised ill advised. My system was unstable...anstable...clean installs...more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. It doesn't say that at all. It says intel spec doesn't support it.

Anyways, dig out of that what you like cause I'm torturing the balls off the cant with prime 95. Yer gettin it tighterated all week, Doll!!! Fkin making me look stupid, eh? That'll be yer last ya bas...

Core #1 is at 53C but core #4 is at only 47C. WTF? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut and release.

agapenet

Jun 26, 2012
I have a custom built PC back in the shop and the client is complaining of instability - lockups, BSODs, etc. The system is built around an Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-970 CPU, 24 GB of G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL, MSI 460 GTX, 750W PSU, and 6 HDDs.

Anyways, when it first came in, I ran memtest86 v4.0 with all 24GB in and as soon as it hit Test #7 [Block Move], it errored out hard and continually. I removed one set of 12GB and ran Memtest again - same deal. Pulled two of 3 remaining sticks and ran memtest again - ditto.

I swapped in a 12 GB set from Mushkin - same deal again. Tried 12GB of Corsair Dominator and the same deal again.

Starting to think this might actually be a CPU issue since the controller on the i7-970 is on-die. I have scoured Intel's website to try and find a bootable utility that would analyze the CPU and let me know if it is damaged/defective, but I cannot find anything.

Does anyone know what might be happening with this system or have any ideas to try to and get the system stable? I have pretty much pulled my hair out and have torn the system down and rebuilt it twice only to find the same result.

I also have an i7 970, and have been chasing spontaneous re-boot and BSOD problems for a year and a half. Have now replaced everything, except the CPU. I also now believe this problem is CPU related, and am contacting Intel for a warranty replacement. Have not had this problem with our i7 990X builds.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Just hung up with Intel - they are RMAing the CPU and strongly suggested I used only PC3 10666 sticks, not PC3-12800 downclocked to 10666. I will order some Mushkin Silverline replacements right now....

Im no expert, and Im sure I dont know as much as intel reguarding thei rproducts. but that seems like a waste of time, theer is no difference between a 1333 stick and a 1600 stick clocked at 1333, except that the 1600 stick will have an easier time running at those speeds. Intel is just unable to guarentee stability of sticks greater than 1333/1066.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Hi

Today I installed prime 95 on my little i7 980x, 12GB (6x2GB) Patriot 1600 XMP enabled, Sabertooth, C300 air cooled system. It boaked up a prime95 hardware error after about 5 minutes. The arse fell out of my little world. GOOGLE HELP!!!! I downloaded memtest 86 and got the same test #7 error big screen of blood. I too got the hours of errors no matter what I tried stripping it down, one stick, two stick, rebuilding, stabbing it...

I cried after I read in the ASUS mobo manual that more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. I think I've killed my heavy in the hand £750 on die controller.

No, I had not. I installed memtest 86+ version 4.20 which ran a treat with my cut down to 6GB all singing and dancing Patriot gadgers. Error free. Free of errors. i7 980x error free...

Enhancements in v4.10 :
  • Added support for Core i7 Extreme CPU (32nm)

*** Enhancements in v4.20 : ***
  • New Features
    • Added failsafe mode (press F1 at startup)
    • Added support for Intel "Sandy Bridge" CPU
    • Added support for AMD "fusion" CPU
    • Added Coreboot "table forward" support
  • Bug Fixes
    • Corrected some memory brands not detected properly. Like Patriot.
    • Various bug fixes for you so you don't have to worry anymore
I could not see my caches in memtest 86 v4.0. Can you see yours?

I wish I had read the ASUS manual. I read it today, though! More than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised ill advised. My system was unstable...anstable...clean installs...more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. It doesn't say that at all. It says intel spec doesn't support it.

Anyways, dig out of that what you like cause I'm torturing the balls off the cant with prime 95. Yer gettin it tighterated all week, Doll!!! Fkin making me look stupid, eh? That'll be yer last ya bas...

Core #1 is at 53C but core #4 is at only 47C. WTF? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut and release.

Looks like someone needs a different kind of 4.20...............

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
When I added 3xF3-12800CL9D-8GBSR to my 930@200x21 at 1.5v it bsod till I raised mem volts to 1.567

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
First thing I would do as suggested drop the memory speed to 1066 and test with 3 sticks at a time.

I did a drop in replacement for my 920 to 970 and left everything in my bios the same.

so 200x20 and memory running at 1600. I am however using 2GB's sticks and have a different model board.

Also what brand PSU and how much volts on the memory?

Last edited:

AsusGuy

Dec 9, 2004
Hi Today I installed prime 95 on my little i7 980x, 12GB (6x2GB) Patriot 1600 XMP enabled, Sabertooth, C300 air cooled system. It boaked up a prime95 hardware error after about 5 minutes. The arse fell out of my little world. GOOGLE HELP!!!! I downloaded memtest 86 and got the same test #7 error big screen of blood. I too got the hours of errors no matter what I tried stripping it down, one stick, two stick, rebuilding, stabbing it... I cried after I read in the ASUS mobo manual that more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. I think I've killed my heavy in the hand £750 on die controller. No, I had not. I installed memtest 86+ version 4.20 which ran a treat with my cut down to 6GB all singing and dancing Patriot gadgers. Error free. Free of errors. i7 980x error free... Enhancements in v4.10 : Added support for Core i7 Extreme CPU (32nm) *** Enhancements in v4.20 : *** New Features Added failsafe mode (press F1 at startup) Added support for Intel "Sandy Bridge" CPU Added support for AMD "fusion" CPU Added Coreboot "table forward" support Bug Fixes Corrected some memory brands not detected properly. Like Patriot. Various bug fixes for you so you don't have to worry anymore I could not see my caches in memtest 86 v4.0. Can you see yours? I wish I had read the ASUS manual. I read it today, though! More than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised ill advised. My system was unstable...anstable...clean installs...more than 3 sticks of XMP are ill advised. It doesn't say that at all. It says intel spec doesn't support it. Anyways, dig out of that what you like cause I'm torturing the balls off the cant with prime 95. Yer gettin it tighterated all week, Doll!!! Fkin making me look stupid, eh? That'll be yer last ya bas... Core #1 is at 53C but core #4 is at only 47C. WTF? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut and release.

I just love reading this and trying to make sense of it. I never thought about stabbing a motherboard.

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
weirdest thing on one my Ivy builds, i get mem errors with Team Elite 1.5v 1333 RAM. It would fail test. I also had Crucial 1.35V ram and did some back and forth tests. In the end i accidentally had the Team Elite ram set at 1333 @ 1.35V and had it completely stable. How about that!?!

Nanerwolf

Jan 27, 2015
I have the same problem, i just bought a i7 970 to upgrade my i7 930 and it won't post.

I can swap out my 970 back to the 930 and it boots up like nothing happened.

I reinstalled the bios to 1501 (model ASUS P6X58D premium) and reset the CMOS/Memok!. The system turns on but does nothing. The fans are spinning the rest of the power is flowing but no post.

I have OCZ approved 12gb @ 1600mhz, the only thing I do not have is another set of RAM. (Memok is constantly on). I've done the rearranging to one set of triple channel and swapped them, no results.

However it works with the 930 dropped in, I checked the contacts and the pins to the board everything looks great. I am at a loss If I cannot figure out what is wrong I paid $300 for this chip even though its used I doubt trying to RMA it would work after so long from the chips release date.
I still have a feeling it is something with the settings of the motherboard.

Any suggestions?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Welcome to the forums, but you should have started your own thread and not dredge up an old one.
As far as your CPU, I'd send it back if it's bad..
I had the exact same board (my sons now) & there's no reason that chip shouldn't work.
$300 is WAY too much, considering many of us are using & overclocking similar hexcore Xeons that are under $100.
Get your money back.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm going to make an interesting suggestion - don't use Memtest86, use Memtest86+. The "Plus" is important. I've had nothing but problems on otherwise stable systems with original Memtest86. Memtest86+ has updated support for chipsets, etc.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I'll second Burpo's suggestion, get a refund on that i7 and instead buy an x5650/x5660/x5670 off eBay for <$100 and enjoy 6 cores of goodness.