Question Starting my PC upgrade - case first!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Hi guys!

I have a pretty old (7 year old) pc which is....misbehaving.
So, I'm thinking about upgrading the cabinet first as the prices of rest of the components are at a crazy level. I currently have a low end CM Elite case which I don't like. So, a new, flashy transparent case with the features mentioned below would be awesome.

1. Transparent side panel.
2. Fan management option built-in or a 5.25" expansion slot for a fan controller.
3. For ATX/m-ATX motherboards.
4. My psu (Seasonic G550) has short cables. So, need to extend the cables somehow or need a top psu mounted case.
5. Going to overclock the cpu and gpu. So, need good airflow and atleast a 280mm radiator mounting option.
6. Budget: 100 usd (I'm from India btw).

Feb 4, 2009
Yes, I can wait. But, considering the low stocks of computer parts, I don't think they would discount it.
Let's see.

Btw, I'm still baffled by the Antec P120 Crystal performance in the Gamernexus review. I expected a big drop on gpu temps but it was not to be.

Per my research googling about cases they all are pretty similar now. Basically every case is a compromise between cost and noise/heat. Quiet cases are hotter, noisy cases are cooler. More expensive cases typically are better at both.
I came to the conclusion that cases are so over engineered now it really doesn't matter much provided you remember cheaper equals worse at everything but I think when you get into the $100 range all the cases are pretty much the same.
Personally I think getting a case you like the look of is the most important thing to do.

Reactions: x_marX

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
2. CPU:
I'm certain to use an AIO.
Placing the radiator outside the case is the best but can be impractical. I do not know if there is any case which has that option.
My idea was to get fresh air from outside and discharge the hot exhaust to the outside of the case so that it does not cause any issue with the other components. It may not be that practical.
I have a few cases that have holes for running tubing outside the case, but they're for custom loops. Most AIO are closed loop where the block and radiator are permanently connected to the tubes.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
So, after a lot of deliberation, I came to the conclusion to make a PC case myself!

After completing the design, I'm gonna laser-cut and bend it at our supplier premises and get it delivered to me. Or I would do it myself (going to be a lot of nut and bolt action as I don't have any bending machines).
Then I'll powder coat it black!

My current idea is to have three bottom mounted fans blowing air directly at the GPU and HDDs. So there would be a big cutout with perforated sheet at the bottom. Front would also have perforated sheet. Side would be acrylic glass.
The motherboard tray portion would have a cut-out to rout the AIO pipes and would put the radiator in the side chamber (its going to be a double chamber case like the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic). I would be putting the power supply in that compartment too.
Like most cases, it would also have a single exhaust fan in the back.
I'll have two 5.25" drive slots for my DVD drive as well as the fan controller.
And yeah, there would be three 3.5"/2.5" drives cages too.
I'm yet to decide on how to do front panel IO and stuff.

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Hmm..doing a design+building a prototype could be very expensive as per my mental estimate.
Need to make a preliminary drawing and do a rough sheet metal development and a more thorough cost estimation.

May be mass producing it could be the answer?

Btw, I work in a machinery manufacturing company and we have a lot of suppliers/OEMs interested in this sort of work.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Hmm..doing a design+building a prototype could be very expensive as per my mental estimate.
Need to make a preliminary drawing and do a rough sheet metal development and a more thorough cost estimation.

May be mass producing it could be the answer?

Btw, I work in a machinery manufacturing company and we have a lot of suppliers/OEMs interested in this sort of work.
Maybe you can find some ideas at bit-tech .

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Maybe you can find some ideas at bit-tech .
Yeah, lots of case mods there !

Btw, I have changed my mind again. I'm thinking of buying a case instead of building one.
I just don't have the time to design a case now that I have to spend a lot of time with my family.

Also, the supply situation is improving.
Shipments from China is starting to arrive.
So, I contacted my pc dealer friend and he offered around 80 USD for the Cooler Master NR600 case.

A decent offer IMO considering it's not in stock in all of the anywhere.

What do you guys think?

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, lots of case mods there !

Btw, I have changed my mind again. I'm thinking of buying a case instead of building one.
I just don't have the time to design a case now that I have to spend a lot of time with my family.

Also, the supply situation is improving.
Shipments from China is starting to arrive.
So, I contacted my pc dealer friend and he offered around 80 USD for the Cooler Master NR600 case.

A decent offer IMO considering it's not in stock in all of the anywhere.

What do you guys think?
Looks like it was $70 last year. Some scalper is selling it for $178 on Newegg ($200 with shipping). Review on Gamers Nexus .

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Howdy folks!

So, the cases I wanted are way overpriced at the moment. Power supplies are also overpriced. But, with the issues reg. the Seasonic G550 RM that I have, I bought the XPG Core Reactor 650.

I'm waiting for the supply and the pricing to improve.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Prices of most of the existing models still very high. But, some of 'em are starting to arrive at a lower price.

1. Antec DF600 Flux

2. Corsair Icue 220T

3. XPG Invader

4.Deepcool CL500

5. Cooler Master NR600 with ODD

6. Corsair 275R

7. Deepcool Matrexx 55 ARGB Mesh

8. Coolermaster Masterbox MB511 RBG

9. Coolermaster TD500 Mesh

10. Ant E-sports ICE 511 MT

So, among these, which do you think is the best one in terms of cooling performance?

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Love the Antec DF600. I really like their approach regarding the airflow for the graphics card.

I would also be getting 5 fans along with it.

Feb 4, 2009
Love the Antec DF600. I really like their approach regarding the airflow for the graphics card.

I would also be getting 5 fans along with it.

Then that’s you rcase. As I said earlier I have come to the conclusion that when you hit the premium case range they are all really similar other than one may be a little better at cooling but produce more noise and the other may produce less noise but run a little warmer.
Being able to look at the case and smile a little bit every day has more value than cooling 2c better or producing marginally less noise that your ear won’t be able to perceive.