Started a CS:Source server

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
Hi all,

I got a great discount on a 50/20mb FIOS line from Verizon and since I have a decently powered server laying around I decided I wanted to run my own CS:Source server.

I want to get people in on it, I just finished installing Mani-Mod but before that I want to poll favorite maps and then I'll post the address of the server and invite everyone to stress test to make sure it runs smoothly.

Hardware specs:
Q6600
Gigabye P35C-DS3R
8GB DDR2 800MHz
Raid 5 160GBx5
Gigabit connectivity up to the ONT (I know, stuck at 100mb there)

I'll go off the top of my head for most popular, I'll put in Other and just reply with any I missed (including custom maps)

The ultimate goal is to just do a 24/7 server with the most popular maps. I'll stick to 18 players till I get the tweaks sorted out and I'll either open it up to 32 or 24 and also start a DOD: Source

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Do NOT put assault in. Its just a massive camp fest and attempted team stacks. If you must have an assault, make is assault_upc. It's much more balanced. I also think you should throw dust_2 in on the rotation. Otherwise all those maps are good. Inferno rocks. De_torn is pretty badass as well.

I haven't really played much at all since starting college a couple years ago, but if you decide that you want some admins I could try to help out. I was an admin at a once semi-large gaming community called insanejustice for around 3 years. Unfortunately the owner got into WoW and so his passion for 1.6 died.

Eh, enough rambling on.

--edit--

Oh, I dont think you should throw ice world on there either. Just personal preference there.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Dust2 will get the most people to play, but I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to fill your server.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
ah christ, your post gave me flashbacks of cs_assualt. I'll leave that out for now :)

I'd love to have good admins on the server, I have mani-mod installed, I'll have to config it some more but if there are any other mods I need to install I'd love to know.

iceworld is a personal fav of mine, there are plenty of other iceworld servers for me to get my rocks off on so I will leave that out as well.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Canai
Dust2 will get the most people to play, but I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to fill your server.

What will? :)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Owls

Well, you'll need ~10 dedicated players. The CS:S team in the clan I'm in can ususally fill the server nightly, but they start with 6-10 people, not one or two, and that server has been running for about four months now, so there are a good number of regulars.

Basically you're looking for pubbers to join, have a good time, favorite the server, and hopefully come back, and you really need people who will always be in there (or at least during peak hours) so that people will join. The server will also need to always be up, and never change IPs.

Hypernia (I think, might have been Nuclear Fallout) fucked us over about six months ago when they gave our IP to someone else for some reason. We got a free month of hosting, but we lost all the regular players and were back to square one.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006

Well, you'll need ~10 dedicated players. The CS:S team in the clan I'm in can ususally fill the server nightly, but they start with 6-10 people, not one or two, and that server has been running for about four months now, so there are a good number of regulars.

Basically you're looking for pubbers to join, have a good time, favorite the server, and hopefully come back, and you really need people who will always be in there (or at least during peak hours) so that people will join. The server will also need to always be up, and never change IPs.

Hypernia (I think, might have been Nuclear Fallout) fucked us over about six months ago when they gave our IP to someone else for some reason. We got a free month of hosting, but we lost all the regular players and were back to square one.

I guess I have a bit to go as I'm currently a one man operation, I know I'll need to setup forums for the server but I'm coming up with this stuff as I go.

I am worried about the IP bit, I have no-ip.com tied to my domain name so even if my IP changes as long as people use the hostname they will be able to find me. Will this be a problem or no?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

I guess I have a bit to go as I'm currently a one man operation, I know I'll need to setup forums for the server but I'm coming up with this stuff as I go.

I am worried about the IP bit, I have no-ip.com tied to my domain name so even if my IP changes as long as people use the hostname they will be able to find me. Will this be a problem or no?

I'm not sure how the favorites in Steam work, but I think they are tied to IPs

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
You need to make a 24/7 office and call it a Noob friendly server. Check out Noob Refuge or the others like it ( webkillers iirc ) and maybe talk to an admin about getting their settings. They are full every night that I stroll by.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

Yeah, same thing happened to my old favorite server Ghetto Gums (although this fuckup was due to Steam favorites dying for about a month). The server would usually get at least 18 people, max 24, and after that whole episode when Steam decided to erase everyone's favorites, the server wouldn't have anyone except bots. I lost contact with all the people who frequented the server, too.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I hate office. I usually avoid office, assault and and most custom maps especially iceworld. I'd stick with dust2, aztec, prodigy, nuke, inferno, and train. I like the CPL maps too but most people don't have them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I hate office. I usually avoid office, assault and and most custom maps especially iceworld. I'd stick with dust2, aztec, prodigy, nuke, inferno, and train. I like the CPL maps too but most people don't have them.

Office can be absolutely great to play or it could suck like nothing else. Same goes for Assault.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Heh, Office is the only map I play, and then only if it is a no AWP server. :D

KT

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
I won't have to worry about dynamic IPs, I'll be adding a static ip service. Hating using no-ip.com :)

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
ou may be able to run 2 or 3 servers on that box if you wanted AFAIK. def. get office if you want a rush of ppl in there.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
I've considered "selling" admin spots for a month in exchange for a donation, what do you guys think about that? potential for abuse? if not any other potential cons?

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
My static IP setup will be completed on Tuesday, which is when I will go live with the server. Unfortunately, I'll have to take a hit on speed so I'm getting dropped down to 20/5MB. Which is still plenty to host 2 CS:S servers at least and support the rest of the house.

they were going to charge me $200 a month for 20/20 with a static IP. So I said forget it :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've considered "selling" admin spots for a month in exchange for a donation, what do you guys think about that? potential for abuse? if not any other potential cons?

Abuse and a huge Headache if Abuse occurs.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Heh, Office is the only map I play, and then only if it is a no AWP server. :D

KT

I'm a bit of a CS snob. I prefer the organized competitive type play. Pubbing tends to bores me unless I'm playing with friends or on a server with good players.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

You're going to need a large player base before you even think of making any other admins. I think you don't realize that it will take many months for the server to become populated to any great degree. There are literally thousands of better, faster, more used servers out there.

It's not worth cutting your internet speed just for the static IP and a chance that every once in a while, some lost pubber will join.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006

Potential for abuse is high. If you really like the idea though, you could always have a handful of "Senior admins" and let people donate for limited access. (ie. changemap, kick, slap, etc..) It's really not a wise idea to give out banning powers and such to someone you don't know or can't trust. Plus, this way if a donating admin is dicking around and kicking/slaying/slapping people for no reason someone can record a demo, show it to a senior admin, and get them banned.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD
As long as you run a pure server with none of the stupidass mods (read: NO mods) I'll hop on.

Or limited mods for admin only.