Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic! [update] NEW SP gameplay footage!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I might be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think it was the Xel'Naga coming to rip shit back up? Wasn't it a zerg/protoss hybrid that was ripping shit up? SC2 completely ignored the story setup from Samir Duran (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Samir_Duran). I figure his group is somehow responsible for the zerg/toss hybrid.

As I recall Zeretul mentioned something about "the fallen one" who "didn't ascend with the other gods" (Xel'Naga) So the assumption is Duran is the last Xel Naga left and he's hell bent on conquering the galaxy (and made the hybrids to do that).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I might be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think it was the Xel'Naga coming to rip shit back up? Wasn't it a zerg/protoss hybrid that was ripping shit up? SC2 completely ignored the story setup from Samir Duran (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Samir_Duran). I figure his group is somehow responsible for the zerg/toss hybrid.

You are right. The Dark Void was indeed protoss/zerg hybrid. I forgot about fighting those hybrid protoss dudes with zerg tentacles.

SC2's story still pisses me off to no end. SC1 had so much exciting plot, drive, and great side characters.

SC2 pissed on all of them, even changed Raynor to a pretty boy from a bald guy.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You are right. The Dark Void was indeed protoss/zerg hybrid. I forgot about fighting those hybrid protoss dudes with zerg tentacles.

SC2's story still pisses me off to no end. SC1 had so much exciting plot, drive, and great side characters.

SC2 pissed on all of them, even changed Raynor to a pretty boy from a bald guy.

I didn't think SC2's story was that bad. It wasn't as good as SC1, but still wasn't awful. That and we don't know the whole story yet due to it being a 3 part series.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
@ Zeze

Thank you very much, kind sir, for taking the time to write a reminder of the events I really appreciate, pretty much allows me not to have to re-play SC1, SC1:BW and SC2:WoL to get it clear again. And, well, I agree... the story of StarCraft from the original up to WoL isn't exactly... hmmm... well, let's say it's not exactly deep or very detailed, to say the least (it's enjoyable enough I guess, entertaining would be the proper word, but certainly not deep or complex).

And, of course, Xel'Naga, completely forgot about that part. It's indeed a rehashed formula, in the veins of people hating each others ending up fighting together against a "common enemy" because it came out of the blue and yeah... reminds me a bit of the Dark Spawn in DAO (I.E. people hating each others and oh, suddenly them undead raping stuff around so hey let's appreciate each others long enough so we can fight those things). To be honest though story-telling has never been Blizzard's best capabilities, even many years ago... I mean SC1's story might be more cohesive but still it's no Planescape: Torment nor Baldur's Gate 2 (nor was it the goal to be similar to those either in terms of story-telling). As long as the game-play is there I guess it'll suffice. In fact Diablo 3's "story" is probably the worst Blizzard came up with so far for any of their games (didn't have to be complex but it didn't have to suck either).

So, Zerg, Protoss and Terran might end up together in the third and finale against Xel'Naga... I see. Hopefully all three of them will be able to look at each others on the battlefield without too much tension... can't wait to see that happen (and it's going to feel strange on-screen even if the story demands it).

And about the trailer again, yeah, Tarsonis, might be it and good obversation about the statue, didn't realize it was that of Mengsk. So indeed it fits with Kerrigan's so called "vengeance" in the trailer, I was wondering what vengeance she was referring to, but now I just recalled the CGI scene from WoL (or it was a teaser? can't remember) in which she's surrounded by Zerg (before being "abducted" by them) and just "let it happen" in the end, realizing that she's been left there to die. So in Heart of the Swarm she's probably going to want to retake control of some Zerg to specifically go against Mengsk but... why taking control of Zergs for that... that's the part that bugs me a bit, she could stay with Raynor and go in with squads of Terran marines. But I guess that her taking control of Zerg again will help in the third game when it's time to fight Xel'Naga trolls.

Also, Xel'Naga should play Mass Effect 3, learning the hard way how the created always rebel against the creator.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
To be honest though story-telling has never been Blizzard's best capabilities, even many years ago... I mean SC1's story might be more cohesive but still it's no Planescape: Torment nor Baldur's Gate 2 (nor was it the goal to be similar to those either in terms of story-telling). As long as the game-play is there I guess it'll suffice. In fact Diablo 3's "story" is probably the worst Blizzard came up with so far for any of their games (didn't have to be complex but it didn't have to suck either)

i liked D1, SC1 and WC3 stories :colbert:

sure, WC3 had this "common enemy" cheese...but the characters were pure awesome....

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
After watching the video, it looks like they are adding units? Will it be like that for every expansion?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
wait, since when did kerrigan become black? I always thought she was a white chic.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
She was a white chick, and still is. The magic macguffin in Wings of Liberty didn't manage to fix her hair though.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
She was a white chick, and still is. The magic macguffin in Wings of Liberty didn't manage to fix her hair though.

i dunno.... she looks at least Caribbean or mixed. Maybe they're trying to appeal to more hispanics? They're a growing demographic.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Last edited:

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I think that's mostly differences between the lighting conditions and rendering engines though. She's certainly a couple of shades lighter then Raynor in the WoL ending cutscene.

That said, a decade or two on Char would reasonably give even an Irish chick a bit of a tan.

I didn't think the things they did with her were any weirder then what they did with the rest of the cast. The only real damsel in distress aspect was her telepathically calling for help - but she did exactly that in Starcraft 1. It's not really new.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I can see what you mean. They made her...tanner? Darker? And her cockroach hair now looks more like dreds.

Did anyone else feel it was kind of weird to make Kerrigan a damsel in distress in WoL? I hope HotS helps change that.
WoL made her stupider, adjusted her appearance from a tough and scrappy looking character to a generic hot babe, and inexplicably even tried to sexualize her infested form with "high heel" extrusions that she just happened to evolve, etc. I think the performance of the new voice actor also reflected these changes.

Some dread tentacle hair is not a big deal compared to that.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Newegg offering $10 off on pre-orders for this if anyone is looking to get in on a small deal.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Newegg offering $10 off on pre-orders for this if anyone is looking to get in on a small deal.

Thanks for the heads up. Even if it doesn't end up being the absolute cheapest I've made it my policiy to support newegg whenever practical.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...shopping-cart-patent-and-saved-online-retail/

For Newegg's Chief Legal Officer Lee Cheng, it's a huge validation of the strategy the company decided to pursue back in 2007: not to settle with patent trolls. Ever.

"We basically took a look at this situation and said, 'This is bullshit,'" said Cheng

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
don't see it. is it a lightning deal?

No it is good until 2/3/13. Just an e-mail they sent out yesterday.

Code is BTEXWVM22

EDIT: Good for standard or CE.

EDIT EDIT: Also good for all of the following:

02 / 05 / 2013 - Dead Space 3
02 / 12 / 2013 - Aliens: Colonial Marines
02 / 19 / 2013 - Crysis 3
03 / 12 / 2013 - Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm Standard / Collector's Edition
03 / 26 / 2013 - Bioshock Infinite

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I haven't played Starcraft since the original and even then I only played through like the first... "act" of the campaign or something? But even so I thought Kerrigan was "ethnic".

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I haven't played Starcraft since the original and even then I only played through like the first... "act" of the campaign or something? But even so I thought Kerrigan was "ethnic".

Seriously? I got that she was Caucasian in the first one, and during the first couple of missions in SCII you see Raynor looking at a photo over her and she's clearly white.

Hell later on you get this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wbhE1vBX0