Starcraft 2 - Is it worth the time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I play a shedload of co-op SC2 games. It's handy that they have a time limit of sorts, and there's enough variety especially with the weekly 'mutation' maps.

I thought clocking 500-600 hours on 'XCOM Enemy Unknown' was high but I bet I have way more than that over the years with SC2.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I mostly just play Direct Strike in the Arcade these days. I don't have the energy or time to keep up in ranked matches. The campaigns are awesome. I still gotta check out the Nova missions...

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well the Zerg campaign was a little lacking and the story felt like it was either rushed, or rewritten by someone else halfway through. It just didn't flow properly and took a weird turn with the primals but I think my biggest complaint was that it didn't give us any real reason to use half of the new units outside of their evolution/specific missions. Though I am extremely disappointed that hydralisks were nerfed into the ground. They were my favorite unit and now they just feel completely useless unless they're evolved into Impalers (and lurkers were nerfed pretty hard too).

So far, the Protoss prologue campaign has been pretty difficult on hard which is a nice change of pace.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
One little gripe though is that I can't seem to find the offline skirmish button. It's always a private online lobby filled with AI without the ability to save. I looked around online for a solution and the official response from Blizzard linked through an old Reddit post said to right click on the map name and click on Offline Skirmish, but that option does not come up when I right click on the map name. Small complaint and I'm fairly certain I'm just doing something wrong, but if someone has the answer to this, please let me know.

To play skirmish, pick Custom on the very top ribbon. Under that pick melee, then pick a map from the list. Then you create a lobby. There you can add AI or wait for people to join (unlikely unless you have friends).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
To play skirmish, pick Custom on the very top ribbon. Under that pick melee, then pick a map from the list. Then you create a lobby. There you can add AI or wait for people to join (unlikely unless you have friends).
I'm aware of this and this method doesn't let you save the game midway. It's just an online skirmish with bots. I want a proper single player skirmish.

thrushconclude

Oct 25, 2020
If you consider an RTS to start on, sc2 is still pretty solid, in terms of meta and player base, but you should also consider w3 reforged.

There is plenty of guidance for both of them, recently Vibe did his late2019 early 2020 series “ Bronze to Grand Master” (his twitch account and YouTube is VibeLol), it’s a good start.
You can also find more specific build even for beginners on other channels, I only have PiG in mind.

You can also find resources on Spawning Pool, and if you want to improve Sc2ReplayStats is a well designed platform (even the free version).

Considering the “factions” in standard multiplayer you only have Terran, Protoss, Zerg without variation, but if you want to try the coop you can find lots of different gameplays.
If you have more specific questions just ask. :)