Starcraft 2 GPU / CPU Scaling Graphs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just so you don't think I'm a scammer here is your refund:

Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
Feb 20, 2010 Payment From tp4tissue Refunded Details $95.00 USD -$3.06 USD $91.94 USD

Related Transaction
Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
Feb 21, 2010 Refund Completed ... -$95.00 USD $3.06 USD -$91.94 USD

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Dude, are you serious? You're already thinking the worse that I'm a scammer? You sent me paypal yesterday at 6:43 pm and then you ask for a tracking number when it's a Sunday and no post office, fedex, or UPS is even open? I feel somewhat insulted and I think I'm just going to refund you your money. No person should ever sell you anything again when you turn around and insinuate that the person may be a scammer. You paid $95 for the opteron 165 and the epox motherboard I have for sale and I was going to throw in the heatsink and fan as well. You can expect a refund from me.

Lmao.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Blizzard has a good track record of producing scalable games. I'd expect SC2 to eventually run well on baseline hardware and (if SC was any indication) look just a bit better with all the candy turned on. I'm still pissed they artificially limited rendering resolution. Limiting FOV, I can understand, but screen resolution simply screams "we can't be bothered to add better textures."
However, the graphics style is not surprising. SC fans wanted an improved version of SC and the game has an art style that is tailored to it. It's the same reason WoW doesn't have significantly better graphics than WC3. To put it crudely, there's no point in trying to make everything pretty when nothing was pretty in the first place.
Dual core requirement is a bit surprising, but reasonable. Very few gamers have a CPU without two cores. I would expect some scaling with a quad core as an indication of Blizzard looking at hardware evolution and testing in-house tools, but nothing extreme for competitive reasons.

Oh, and strangely enough, I never really got into the RTS aspect of SC. Too much flavor of the month reading, prepubescent arrogance, and static maps. Eventually ended up logging more hours playing custom maps.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
About the Out growing starcraft part,, If you have not played in years,, then you say you installed the game and played a FEW games,, then stopped.. THAT is still outgrew.. If you stop playing, that generally means outgrew.. Go ahead buy this game, and u'll put it down like you did the first.

You don't understand how big starcraft is to many gamers. The game came out 12 years ago, I started playing when I was about 10 years old. I've still been playing every so often and still enjoying the gameplay. The only thing stopping me from playing more often is everything else that is outdated. For example, playing at a super low res on an lcd doesn't look pretty and most recently I stopped playing because I was backstabbed by allies several times in a row after winning the match because there is no way to lock teams(something I would bet will be fixed in starcraft 2).

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
dude, are you serious? You're already thinking the worse that i'm a scammer? You sent me paypal yesterday at 6:43 pm and then you ask for a tracking number when it's a sunday and no post office, fedex, or ups is even open? I feel somewhat insulted and i think i'm just going to refund you your money. No person should ever sell you anything again when you turn around and insinuate that the person may be a scammer. You paid $95 for the opteron 165 and the epox motherboard i have for sale and i was going to throw in the heatsink and fan as well. You can expect a refund from me.

HAHAHA. Well done, sir.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/starcraft_ii_wings_of_liberty_beta_performance,1.html

reviewer says that AA/AF doesn't work with ATI cards yet but does with Nvidia's latest drivers, so benchmarks were done with no AA/AF to keep things even.

the 5770 has a decent showing surpassing the 4890 albeit with no AA/AF applied. GTX 260 is ahead of the 5770 and 4890. SC2 appears to be liking Nvidia hardware more atm.

Honestly, the game has graphics from 2004. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, but any semi-decent card should be able to run this game easily enough.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Honestly, the game has graphics from 2004. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, but any semi-decent card should be able to run this game easily enough.

(THIS IS YOU w/ your quad core + 5850)
Hot chick w/ high cheek bones + natural C-cup + Tall says:

Why would you need to cover up your natural prettyness :sneaky:

(Some of us)
The Rest' of the ugly chix are pouring makeup.D:

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Dude, are you serious? You're already thinking the worse that I'm a scammer? You sent me paypal yesterday at 6:43 pm and then you ask for a tracking number when it's a Sunday and no post office, fedex, or UPS is even open? I feel somewhat insulted and I think I'm just going to refund you your money. No person should ever sell you anything again when you turn around and insinuate that the person may be a scammer. You paid $95 for the opteron 165 and the epox motherboard I have for sale and I was going to throw in the heatsink and fan as well. You can expect a refund from me.

I am sorry.
I can see how you'd be upset.
I had some to drink, because
I was upset over SCII.
I am a first time buyer in the FS/FT, so
I was paranoid from the alcohol.
I have only ever Used Amazon,Egg,zzf, the instant receipt.
I hope we can work this out
I was unaware that it was Sunday, although
I only pmed along the lines of "will there be Tracking available?" That was my intention
I did get the refund

IBUYUFO is Not a Scammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I suppose you're right, But this is THE RTS, not just "an" RTS. D:D:

Gameplay "so far" :(:(
Graphics "prob close to final product" :(:(:(
Innovative: ":(:(:(" Not their fault really since the orginal was the beginning and the end for RTS innovation.

Feels like a rehash of starcraft, well done hash, but dame it, like I said, we expected too much, and It's my own fault yes,, but it hurrrtss... hurrrruuughhhh

sucks
they could really work on the unit grouping and waypoint system. Starcraft was pretty limited in long term tactical planning. Hell you couldn't even queue more than one building at a time. And 5 unit building limit is retarded.
Only being able to select up to 12 units max was retarded too.

An ultimate RTS would be Supreme Commander combined with StarCraft
SC + SC = ULTIMATE SC

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
sucks
they could really work on the unit grouping and waypoint system. Starcraft was pretty limited in long term tactical planning. Hell you couldn't even queue more than one building at a time. And 5 unit building limit is retarded.

SC + SC = ULTIMATE SC

Well they fixed THOSE things, it just doesn't blow me away. I'd rather expected a more immersive SC universe, that part is usually dependent on graphical presentation and maybe music.

An analogy I can draw is, the Dragon Ball Movie. It was a well polished movie selling on the prowess of it's predecessor, with few unique merits of it's own. THEY"ve merely avoid being TERRIBLE,

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I am sorry.
I was upset over SCII.
I only pmed along the lines of "will there be Tracking available?" That was my intention
I did get the refund

Don't be sorry, it's not your fault he freaked out over one comment.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010

Oh man, Why did you go and say that... Your sentiments aside,

Now the social situation dictates he CAN'T sell it to me without losing face.

And you know how computer geeks are with the face thing, especially on the internet. :hmm:

UGH.. Thanks though :eek:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
sucks

SC + SC = ULTIMATE SC

you can select an unlimited amount of units so far, and the waypoint system is significantly improved....

tons of FUD coming from this tp4tissue fellow.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I refuse to spend 1000 dollars for a new setup for SUP COM 2 for only 40fps.
You dont have to. A 500 dollar gaming system will run it just fine. You may not be able to run it at 2560x1600 with max details, but it will run more than well enough to be playable. In fact most RTS's are easier at minimum detail cuz you can see what the fuck is going on.

And I dont buy a whole new system at a time. I just upgrade over the course of the year and more often than not I can play everything very nicely. The most expensive component is your video card, and it also has the biggest effect on gaming. You can choose to spend 100 dollars every year, or 200 dollars every two years and be able to play all video games that come out.
You can also get by with a 50 dollar CPU, 50 dollar motherboard, 50 dollars worth of RAM, and a 50 dollar power supply.
Case, monitor, mouse and keyboard should not have to be upgraded frequently and when you do they wont cost much (except for the monitor, but that gets upgraded even less frequently).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I am sorry.
I was upset over SCII.
I did get the refund

So your a paranoid alcoholic who dosent like starcraft, well....

gtfo.jpeg

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
and most recently I stopped playing because I was backstabbed by allies several times in a row after winning the match because there is no way to lock teams(something I would bet will be fixed in starcraft 2).

Hmm - can anyone in beta comment on this, regarding locking team/allies?

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I suppose you're right, But this is THE RTS, not just "an" RTS.

Gameplay "so far" :(:(
Graphics "prob close to final product" :(:(:(
Innovative: ":(:(:(" Not their fault really since the orginal was the beginning and the end for RTS innovation.

Feels like a rehash of starcraft, well done hash, but dame it, like I said, we expected too much, and It's my own fault yes,, but it hurrrtss... hurrrruuughhhh

Do Blizzard titles ever sport good graphics? They simply do not bother trying to make eye-popping graphics. Partly because they focus on gameplay and polish and probably moreso because they want a wider audience of potential consumers, keeping the computer req's down is a good way to get that.

DID i mention how much it pains me to look at this thing right now.. It's like you waited for a coooookie for 10 years,, then they finally hand you one in a box.

The box says fresh baked.. That's not a lie,, buttt they used the DOUGH from 10 years ago. fresh backed 10 year old Dough.

My heart can't take this lamenting. .... I need a hug...... sigh.... Maybe I'll just quit gaming and start doing drugs....

Took a shot of vodka, Yes i keep vodka next to my computer. Maybe I can drink till dis gmae iz awesome.

Could you move all the ranting/whining to the OT forum?

Hrm, a guy who joined this month with less than 50 posts calls a decade long member a scammer with nothing to base it on...yeah, I'd probably be a little upset as well. I'd probably do the same thing UFO.

When you're brand new to a forum and have no reputation it's your duty to build a good reputation for yourself, trading and otherwise. If on your first transaction you're calling people potential scammers for no reason (alcohol-induced claims or otherwise) you're off to a bad start...

The trading forums are all trust/reputation based tp, you won't find the security that your retail stores/sites offer. If you can get into the system though and use heatware to your advantage you'll find some stellar deals and great people to work with.

I am sorry.
I was upset over SCII.
I did get the refund

I think you're a little too late...

You dont have to. A 500 dollar gaming system will run it just fine. You may not be able to run it at 2560x1600 with max details, but it will run more than well enough to be playable. In fact most RTS's are easier at minimum detail cuz you can see what the fuck is going on.

And I dont buy a whole new system at a time. I just upgrade over the course of the year and more often than not I can play everything very nicely. The most expensive component is your video card, and it also has the biggest effect on gaming. You can choose to spend 100 dollars every year, or 200 dollars every two years and be able to play all video games that come out.
You can also get by with a 50 dollar CPU, 50 dollar motherboard, 50 dollars worth of RAM, and a 50 dollar power supply.
Case, monitor, mouse and keyboard should not have to be upgraded frequently and when you do they wont cost much (except for the monitor, but that gets upgraded even less frequently).

Or you can do what I did and put off all upgrades for 5 1/2 years and have to do a major overhaul...:awe:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Saying "as long as xxx isn't a scammer" is not the same thing as calling somebody a scammer.

I would probably be annoyed too, but the refund was over the top.

I don't agree with tp's starcraft comments, but he's entitled to his opinion.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
What's with all the unrelated discussion going on this thread? There are already another 4-5 threads relating to SC2 graphics etc.

I picked up a 9600gt back in June when they were just under $30AR at Dell. It looks like a used 8800/9800gt is the only bang for my buck upgrade option. Any other card will cost me at least 3x as much and not offer a comparable performance increase.

This is a decent start to SC2 benchmarks but I hope to see a lot more before the game is released. For example what are the differences between Ultra and High settings? Does post processing effect anything other than HDR (I've hated HDR since it's introduction and always turn it off when given the option)? How much of an impact do 3D unit portraits have vs 2D? Will 1GB of video ram make a difference compared to 512mb (guess we'll have to wait till AA/AF benches to see)? Is the game optimized for more than 2 cores?

It seems to be mostly CPU intensive so far, I'll probably upgrade my E5200 to an i3 530. I'm gonna hold off on that closer to the games release though, just in case Intel releases a 32nm chip without their shitty integrated graphics. Does it even disable itself when discrete graphics are installed, or does it just sit there like a retard sucking up power and generating more heat?

Also, does anyone else find it weird that there never seems to be more than a 4-7fps gap between minimum and average frames? Like there might be some sort of auto framelock built into the engine until the 75fps barrier is broken? That seems to be the point where the difference finally starts to grow. I just can't believe that any game could ever be that well optimized on such a wide range of cards, let alone in the beta stage. Something just seems to be off there.

And can someone with the beta confirm how resolution scaling is handled? Does playing at 2560x1600 actually allow you to see more of the map than at a lower resolution? Because that would be incredibly imbalanced, so how does that work?

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
And can someone with the beta confirm how resolution scaling is handled? Does playing at 2560x1600 actually allow you to see more of the map than at a lower resolution? Because that would be incredibly imbalanced, so how does that work?

the only thing that makes a difference in view size is the aspect ratio of the resolution being used

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
Hmm - can anyone in beta comment on this, regarding locking team/allies?

There's a toggle for it so you can choose whether you want locked teams or not before the battle begins. I have only played 1v1 so far though, so I don't know whether is toggled on or off by default.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
There's a toggle for it so you can choose whether you want locked teams or not before the battle begins. I have only played 1v1 so far though, so I don't know whether is toggled on or off by default.

Thank god for that! When i host my own games i can backstab my allies then :)

Dec 10, 2005
You don't understand how big starcraft is to many gamers. The game came out 12 years ago, I started playing when I was about 10 years old. I've still been playing every so often and still enjoying the gameplay. The only thing stopping me from playing more often is everything else that is outdated. For example, playing at a super low res on an lcd doesn't look pretty and most recently I stopped playing because I was backstabbed by allies several times in a row after winning the match because there is no way to lock teams(something I would bet will be fixed in starcraft 2).

I thought you could lock allies in the original by just using the game type "Top vs. Bottom"