Starcraft 2 GPU / CPU Scaling Graphs

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Looks like my 4870 will be passable on ultra high, but I think I might have to spring for a 5850 soon anyways.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Wow...I have to say that I really am SHOCKED that the 5770 beat the 4890...like, to the point that it doesnt even make sense hardware wise considering the lack of DX11 in SC2...could it be driver optimization? I mean, the 5770 just doesnt have the hardware OMPH in my opinion to surpass the 4890, especially at 2560x1600...I would think that the 128-bit RAM bus would for sure put the 4890's over the 5770...

Time to upgrade I guess! Anyone want a pair of 4890's for $300 :-D

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I just ran the game on my 4870 512mb, and it runs below 60 for sure.

NOTE you will need dual core.

I'm running an opteron 144 and it stutters here/there. I lowered the graphic settings all the way down, and it still stutters, which means, the cpu is a big issue here.

HOPEFULLY that IBUYUFO guy in FS/FT isn't a scammer and sends me the Opteron dual core soon.

I am however very disappointed with the game's visuals. YEA it's chewing through my gpu and cpu,, but it really looks like a game from 2-3 years ago.

The Command and Conquer engine looks WAY better than this game.

I was Prepared for a let down, AND NOW I HAVE IT.

I know the rest of you are crossing fingers for the gameplay, as am I but, nothing is radically different. It would seem if ANyone outgrew starcraft, the same would hold for SCII.

FUCK.. now I'm really depressed......

Last edited by a moderator:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
not really sure why people care so much about the graphics of an RTS, it was never gonna look like crysis FFS. Graphics are the least important aspect of any game especially an RTS. More people should be concerned about the CPU sucking it up and being the bottleneck

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Graphics are not as important as how smooth everything runs. I can say this: while, SC2 doesn't look like Crysis, it looks amazing and is one of the smoothest RTS I've played.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, I wont be playing it at 2560x1600. The max my CRT will do is 2048x1536. And frankly, since image quality on a quality CRT is so much better than the average LCD I think 1600x1200 will be more than good enough.

Also, this game is in beta and was tested on Windows 7 with an i7 Intel chip. Since I'll be using a quad core AMD processor with Windows XP, the results really dont mean much to me right now.
I am sure it will be more than good enough when it actually comes out.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
not really sure why people care so much about the graphics of an RTS, it was never gonna look like crysis FFS. Graphics are the least important aspect of any game especially an RTS. More people should be concerned about the CPU sucking it up and being the bottleneck

I suppose you're right, But this is THE RTS, not just "an" RTS. D:D:

Gameplay "so far" :(:(
Graphics "prob close to final product" :(:(:(
Innovative: ":(:(:(" Not their fault really since the orginal was the beginning and the end for RTS innovation.

Feels like a rehash of starcraft, well done hash, but dame it, like I said, we expected too much, and It's my own fault yes,, but it hurrrtss... hurrrruuughhhh

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
DID i mention how much it pains me to look at this thing right now.. It's like you waited for a coooookie for 10 years,, then they finally hand you one in a box.

The box says fresh baked.. That's not a lie,, buttt they used the DOUGH from 10 years ago. fresh backed 10 year old Dough.

My heart can't take this lamenting. .... I need a hug...... sigh.... Maybe I'll just quit gaming and start doing drugs....

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
It would seem if ANyone outgrew starcraft, the same would hold for SCII.
It's been over 10 years and I can say for sure I never outgrew starcraft. Just a few weeks ago I reinstalled it and played a few rounds on battle.net. The game play still holds up great after all this time and frankly i would be disappointed if they changed it too dramatically. What I and most other fans of the game want is not a radically new game but a modernized version of the original. And that is exactly what we are getting.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Good to see my 8800gt is holding up ok at 1920x1200. I wonder how it'll perform with some AA (maybe the same as 2560x1600?).

Does this game offer any DX10 or DX11 enhancements (both performance and visually)?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
DID i mention how much it pains me to look at this thing right now.. It's like you waited for a coooookie for 10 years,, then they finally hand you one in a box.

The box says fresh baked.. That's not a lie,, buttt they used the DOUGH from 10 years ago. fresh backed 10 year old Dough.

My heart can't take this lamenting. .... I need a hug...... sigh.... Maybe I'll just quit gaming and start doing drugs....

WTF? Get a life dude.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
wonder how closely they monitored performance or if they just messed up the order somewhere

just noticed that the min and average framerates are higher for the 4870 1GB at 19*12 than 16*10

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I suppose you're right, But this is THE RTS, not just "an" RTS. D:D:

Gameplay "so far" :(:(
Graphics "prob close to final product" :(:(:(
Innovative: ":(:(:(" Not their fault really since the orginal was the beginning and the end for RTS innovation.

Feels like a rehash of starcraft, well done hash, but dame it, like I said, we expected too much, and It's my own fault yes,, but it hurrrtss... hurrrruuughhhh

Have you played any RTS's since starcraft? Starcraft was good, but company of heroes is better.

Supreme Commander II also looks exciting, albeit nothing new.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's a Beta so of course things aren't going to be optimized at all so I'm sure they'll fix things like no AA for ATI cards.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
What made SC fun and great was balance... not eye candy. I would hope they focused more on that for SC2 in the same way because I'm quite satisfied with the graphics from what I've seen so far.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
You know I was just thinking - if you're so dissatisfied with the beta, maybe another AT member can play in your stead? :p

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
So, I'm havin myself a party here, by me-selfff. I think it's been 6 shots total, I spaced them out so I don't fall over, I'm a light weight. 135lbs, 6%body fat. So bout right now, I'm starting to feel a little better about this game. The game play IS very much improved, everything moves quicker. I have not gotten the handle on what to build yet.

It's been over 10 years and I can say for sure I never outgrew starcraft. Just a few weeks ago I reinstalled it and played a few rounds on battle.net. The game play still holds up great after all this time and frankly i would be disappointed if they changed it too dramatically. What I and most other fans of the game want is not a radically new game but a modernized version of the original. And that is exactly what we are getting.

About the Out growing starcraft part,, If you have not played in years,, then you say you installed the game and played a FEW games,, then stopped.. THAT is still outgrew.. If you stop playing, that generally means outgrew.. Go ahead buy this game, and u'll put it down like you did the first

WTF? Get a life dude.

I admit to not having a life, but that isn't the problem here, it's the longing to live in gaming heaven after the 2009 purgatory lineup. THAT is why depresses me so much.

Geek stuff:
I'm very casual when it comes to games, so it takes quite a bit to disappoint me. THIS WAS the super game that just didn't cut the cake. SuperSmash Brawl was a disappointment. Blazblue made up for it slightly, but then they go nerfing my alter ego...

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
I played SC from middle, to high school, and THRU college. The only other game/universe even remotely close in playing time was CS1.3-1.6/CSS. I outgrew the CS universe around 2006, but that's still a good 4 years. Starcraft I was playing a ton over an 8 year period. Therein lies the difference between a good game and a great game.

How long did you play the first one, if you don't mind me asking?

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I played SC from middle, to high school, and THRU college. The only other game/universe even remotely close in playing time was CS1.3-1.6/CSS. I outgrew the CS universe around 2006, but that's still a good 4 years. Starcraft I was playing a ton over an 8 year period. Therein lies the difference between a good game and a great game.

How long did you play the first one, if you don't mind me asking?

It's definately not the worst now that I've given it some more time. but, it does not CAPTURE me like I wanted it to, so so badly. :hmm:

I played the first one from 98 to 2000 pause (didn't know english at the time).. then from 2004-2008.

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
HOPEFULLY that IBUYUFO guy in FS/FT isn't a scammer and sends me the Opteron dual core soon.

Dude, are you serious? You're already thinking the worse that I'm a scammer? You sent me paypal yesterday at 6:43 pm and then you ask for a tracking number when it's a Sunday and no post office, fedex, or UPS is even open? I feel somewhat insulted and I think I'm just going to refund you your money. No person should ever sell you anything again when you turn around and insinuate that the person may be a scammer. You paid $95 for the opteron 165 and the epox motherboard I have for sale and I was going to throw in the heatsink and fan as well. You can expect a refund from me.