Starbucks reduces price of coffee to $1, and free refills

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its a short.
8oz, its a cup you don't see on display unless you ask for it...it is that small.
if you stick around to refill such a coffee you are a serious loser. its less than 8oz if you leave room for non spillage/cream/sugar. its a nothing cup.
for ~1.40-150 at mcdonalds you get a 20oz...
and yea the specialness of starbucks for regular coffees a bit gone now. even mcdonalds has nice cups with lids that don't suck these days. back when starbucks first was getting popular mcdonalds and 7/11 had sh*tty lids that weren't worth squat..peel back opening that was just asking for a spill etc

plus, waiting for coffee in a mcdonalds drive through line is more convenient than going into a starbucks.

May 31, 2001
I actually like Starbucks, though I really only have experience with the ones up here where I live. I have tried McDonald's coffee and it was little more than hot, colored water. We also have many, many coffee wagons up here. Sunrise Bagel & Espresso is good, and they make some damned good breakfast sandwiches. Mocha Moose is decent, but the Starbucks I go to does a really good job with their mixed coffee drinks, and I will continue to go there.

If I want plain coffee, I will buy a coffee pot.

Damn it, now I want a latte and none of the coffee places are open yet. :(

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Who goes for to starbucks for regular coffee? They over roast their beans & it tastes terrible. You go to starbucks for their espresso drinks and their milk shake espresso drinks. That's what they're good at, but it's expensive.

Jan 22, 2008
Hi,
Originally being from brazil I`ve had the 2nd best coffee in the world, damn Columbians passed us.
And I think that starbucks should do that. If you are to compare with other
coffee's around the world with starbucks you would feel offended.
Yes, its a week coffee so it should be $1.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: mugs
"i think this cheapens the starbucks brand."

I don't think anyone buys Starbucks coffee because it's fashionable to walk around with a cup with the Starbucks logo on it, so I really don't think that's a big deal.

it's the 3x amount of caffeine in their regular coffee that brings people back.

That's basically when I get SB - when I need a giant caffeine rush and the swill in the office just won't do.

Ninety 200mg caffeine pills for $3 for the mother fucking win.
Fixed. (Jet Alert)

I don't understand how so many people around school buy energy drinks. I hate those things. Well some of them are pretty tasty but I can't justify the cost of them when I can have over 2x the caffeine with a 3 cent pill, then drink whatever I want.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: duragezic
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: mugs
"i think this cheapens the starbucks brand."

I don't think anyone buys Starbucks coffee because it's fashionable to walk around with a cup with the Starbucks logo on it, so I really don't think that's a big deal.

it's the 3x amount of caffeine in their regular coffee that brings people back.

That's basically when I get SB - when I need a giant caffeine rush and the swill in the office just won't do.

Ninety 200mg caffeine pills for $3 for the mother fucking win.
Fixed. (Jet Alert)

I don't understand how so many people around school buy energy drinks. I hate those things. Well some of them are pretty tasty but I can't justify the cost of them when I can have over 2x the caffeine with a 3 cent pill, then drink whatever I want.

Full Throttle tastes goooood to me, plus I got like a dozen cans for free :p

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003
SBUX SUX... their regular blend is gross and burnt. I wouldnt drink it even if it were 10c.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
$1 for coffee is irrelevant to them. Go in there sometime and look at who orders what -- very few are getting plain coffee, so they'll still sell plenty of $5 coffee-tinged drinks.

Besides, if I'm interpreting this correctly, they're selling a short for $1. That's 8oz folks. Sure, free refills, but I'm not hanging out there slamming coffees before work. I want a 20oz out the door so I can drink it at my desk.

Of course, I prefer Dunkin Donuts anyway :)

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
In a recesson, I would think $5 coffee is going to be a tough sell ;)

Even the $1 they charge is too much for the quality you get. It's much nicer just to make it at home.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
McD's, DD and *$ are all crap when it comes to regular coffee. McD's is the worst as far as I'm concerned, and I can only assume that people say it's good because they're anti-*$ or just looking for coffee in a package that is less pretentious.

It's really hard to drink coffee from these places if you'd have truly good coffee, and it's almost impossible to get a good espresso drink except for specific areas in the US. Even upscale Italian restaurants can't get it right 99% of the time. The only constant an espresso lover has is to accept *$, because they are everywhere.

So, I don't see how they'll be really improve with this reduction in cost. People that don't care about coffee will order it from anywhere. People that care about coffee don't have much choice.

Also, *$ used to be about quality. They used to product a quality product, but expansionism and the requisite need for consistency drove them to processes that rip the uniqueness right out of the product. It's a sacrifice, and now they're paying the price.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Descartes
McD's, DD and *$ are all crap when it comes to regular coffee. McD's is the worst as far as I'm concerned, and I can only assume that people say it's good because they're anti-*$ or just looking for coffee in a package that is less pretentious.

It's really hard to drink coffee from these places if you'd have truly good coffee, and it's almost impossible to get a good espresso drink except for specific areas in the US. Even upscale Italian restaurants can't get it right 99% of the time. The only constant an espresso lover has is to accept *$, because they are everywhere.

So, I don't see how they'll be really improve with this reduction in cost. People that don't care about coffee will order it from anywhere. People that care about coffee don't have much choice.

Also, *$ used to be about quality. They used to product a quality product, but expansionism and the requisite need for consistency drove them to processes that rip the uniqueness right out of the product. It's a sacrifice, and now they're paying the price.

=/