Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Wrong part, about Luke and the academy.

Although them no longer being clones was covered in other now non-canon material.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Imagine if Episode 7 had been a character in the same vein as Luke, only he actually gets his wish and trains at the academy, a good personal brought down into a dark downward spiral. His awakening to the corruption and defection to the republic could have been a good story.

Rebellion is filled with people that did go to the academies.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I don't believe the original trilogy ever stated that they were or were not cloned soldiers... mostly because there was no need. The problem was that Attack of the Clones revealed that the Republic's army (and then the Empire's army in episode III after Palpatine kills democracy with thunderous applause) was cloned from Jango Fett, but there was never any note that the Clonetroopers used in the prequel trilogy weren't the same as the Stormtroopers in the original trilogy.

I think the clones were just used as a way for palpatine to have an army at the ready and was phased out for real recruitment (or conscription, who knows) when the Empire formed. Even Finn claims he was taken as a child to be a storm trooper, a practice likely left over from when the empire ruled. Jedi did the same thing, just on a much more selective scale.

The maybe canon suggest as such. (Expanded Universe and all)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think it was J.J. Abrams said that all of the Stormtroopers were normal people and not clones. Supposedly, they haven't used clones since the era of the prequels, or at least that's the excuse they gave for the stormtroopers in the original trilogy all having a different voice. :p Supposedly, a bit of "back-canon" is that Luke was training to get into the academy that trains Imperial pilots.
Different height too:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Watched FA again last weekend, noticed in the opening crawl it actually uses Last Jedi:

until Skywalker, the last Jedi,

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Meh, if they had done the prequels right, Darth Vader would have been the hero who stays around too long and becomes the villain.

The series always had a psychological aspect. Kenobi in the first film is a crazy old burn out who was past his heroic days.

The Yuuzhan Vong invasion was when I stopped reading those books. Such a bad plot device which also fundamentally changed the character of the series. It was basically Space Mongols. Not a good editorial turn.

See I mostly enjoyed the Yuuzhan Vong because it fundamentally changed the character of the series. It was nice to move towards new characters with different moral decisions to make. But some of the books were written terribly and some of them kind of lost their place as the series progressed. I'll go back and read them here soon again. I don't think it would have been a good choice to make movies of these though. There was too much here to show in a trilogy and it would really confuse a lot of viewers.

Thrawn was the way to go. But something completely different would have been fine if they hadn't just copied the main plot of a New Hope...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
See I mostly enjoyed the Yuuzhan Vong because it fundamentally changed the character of the series. It was nice to move towards new characters with different moral decisions to make. But some of the books were written terribly and some of them kind of lost their place as the series progressed. I'll go back and read them here soon again. I don't think it would have been a good choice to make movies of these though. There was too much here to show in a trilogy and it would really confuse a lot of viewers.

Thrawn was the way to go. But something completely different would have been fine if they hadn't just copied the main plot of a New Hope...

I was actually really bored by the Yuuzhan Vong arc. Maybe if it had been shorter, but it felt really long & drawn out and just kind of all over the map. The core idea was interesting, but maybe I just read too many of the bad books instead of teh good ones.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013

Weren't the Vong also borderline racist?

I think what Star Wars needs is a deep appreciation of Henry Kissinger. Lucas apparently was able to skirt around the edges of what nationalism is, but never truly understood it.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I was actually really bored by the Yuuzhan Vong arc. Maybe if it had been shorter, but it felt really long & drawn out and just kind of all over the map. The core idea was interesting, but maybe I just read too many of the bad books instead of teh good ones.

You're completely correct. It definitely went too long and some of the books were worthless. I thought they developed some really good characters and had some great moments even if the ending was a bit disjointed. Vergere was fantastic, and the fact that they were willing to kill off a few fairly large characters was a plus.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If you want to stay away from spoilers, go into hiding starting 9/1 as that's when toys and other items from the movie go on sale.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Isn't "The Last Jedi" the original title George Lucas was going to go with in "The Return of the Jedi"...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah "Return of the Jedi" was originally going to be "Revenge of the Jedi" but he decided that was the wrong tone for Jedi so he used it for "Revenge of the Sith" instead.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
s-l1000.jpg

Reactions: jman19

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
You'll change your tone once you see rogue one. They are going to give the fans something they've wanted to see for a VERY long time. I wont spoil the surprise.

I saw Rogue one and am wondering what that big surprise was.

Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You're completely correct. It definitely went too long and some of the books were worthless. I thought they developed some really good characters and had some great moments even if the ending was a bit disjointed. Vergere was fantastic, and the fact that they were willing to kill off a few fairly large characters was a plus.

Yeah I agree. Some of the books were definitely worthless to the story but I liked the series overall.

I really liked the Fate of the Jedi books. Some of the base plot lines were over used but I really liked Abeloth story line that tied in Centerpoint station, the Maw, Jacen Solo and the Beyond Shadows together

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I saw Rogue one and am wondering what that big surprise was.

Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it.
Best guess is that the weakness in the Death Star was not a super ridiculous unintended blunder by the Empire but its designer, Erso's ultimate form of revenge against them for what they did to his family.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I saw episode 7.. but I'm done. The whole deletion of the original story line has me jaded. It isn't exciting to "find out what happens" because stuff has already been explained, and then deleted.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I saw episode 7.. but I'm done. The whole deletion of the original story line has me jaded. It isn't exciting to "find out what happens" because stuff has already been explained, and then deleted.
They had to not use the EU because everything is a book or comic already. If they wanted these movies fresh of what takes place with Skywalker after the original trilogy, there was no other way around it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
They had to not use the EU because everything is a book or comic already. If they wanted these movies fresh of what takes place with Skywalker after the original trilogy, there was no other way around it.

They could have put plenty into movies. The hard core nerds would be excited to see stuff play out and the noobs wouldn't know any difference.

Either way I'm out. I simply can't be excited to discover stuff when it really didn't happen like that.

Reactions: Sonikku