Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Kill. Me. Now.

They are already named and merchandised. Holy shit.

Were you somehow under the impression that they don't name their characters until after the movie is released? I have no idea what your expectations are, and why you're taken aback by this situation.

Reactions: Homerboy

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
A lot of the reviews talking about it being 3rd best SW film. Of the few negative or neutral ones I've seen, they read like the author not really that much into the series.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
A lot of the reviews talking about it being 3rd best SW film. Of the few negative or neutral ones I've seen, they read like the author not really that much into the series.
Dang, probably far behind The Phantom Menace and AotC?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The biggest complaint that I've heard is that there's a story line that they jump to ever so often that feels a bit tacked on. One reviewer mentioned that other reviewers noted that the movie felt too long, and it probably would've been a bit better (not felt as long) if that other story line was just removed. I'm not too worried about it though. I've heard far more good things than I have bad things!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I probably won't be seeing this for another ~2 weeks. I respectfully request that all ATers shut up about it until then. TIA.
:p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The biggest complaint that I've heard is that there's a story line that they jump to ever so often that feels a bit tacked on. One reviewer mentioned that other reviewers noted that the movie felt too long, and it probably would've been a bit better (not felt as long) if that other story line was just removed. I'm not too worried about it though. I've heard far more good things than I have bad things!
Yea I've read the middle part drags but the beginning and end are great. Can't wait to see it on IMAX tomorrow.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
My only complaint about the movie was it seemed like a Gungan snuff film to the point I almost forgave Jar Jar. :(

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Just got back. I liked it. :) Definitely far better than Force Awakens! The whole "From a certain point of view" angle from episode 6 and 3 is carried over in a big way in this one and I found it very interesting. Mark Hamill hit this one out of the fucking park. He did for 8 what Ford couldn't for 7, which is probably the main reason why Last Jedi works.

I was shocked when Kylo killed Snoke. I thought for sure Snoke would be the big baddie of episode 9. I am mildly miffed how we never found out more about who he was before he was unceremoniously killed. The revelation of Rey's parents made sense I guess. But so very grim and saddening. I really hope they do a fan edit when this comes out on bluray though. The whole film hanged so much in the middle trying to find a code breaker and it was all for nothing anyway. Finn was basically useless the whole movie for all practical purposes. So was Poe after the dreadnought.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Just got back. I liked it. :) Definitely far better than Force Awakens! The whole "From a certain point of view" angle from episode 6 and 3 is carried over in a big way in this one and I found it very interesting. Mark Hamill hit this one out of the fucking park. He did for 8 what Ford couldn't for 7, which is probably the main reason why Last Jedi works.

I was shocked when Kylo killed Snoke. I thought for sure Snoke would be the big baddie of episode 9. I am mildly miffed how we never found out more about who he was before he was unceremoniously killed. The revelation of Rey's parents made sense I guess. But so very grim and saddening. I really hope they do a fan edit when this comes out on bluray though. The whole film hanged so much in the middle trying to find a code breaker and it was all for nothing anyway. Finn was basically useless the whole movie for all practical purposes. So was Poe after the dreadnought.
I was so upset it wasn't Lando they were looking for.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As a note, there's no point in staying once the credits start rolling. End-credit scenes aren't really a thing in Star Wars, and they didn't start with this one either.

Just saw it. Left feeling unsatisfied. Good action, a few fun moments, but overall meh.

I kind of felt the same way. Throughout the movie, I just kept getting this feeling like the movie was sort of... aimless? Something just felt really lost.

Probably one of the worst parts is how the movie ends with no actual tie-in to Episode IX. Episode IV lacked a tie-in to its sequel due to there being no plans for a trilogy, but Episode V left you wondering what would happen based upon how they left things. Heck, even Episode VII did the same with introducing Luke back into the story. At the end of this one, it's just this sort of, "Well, looks like we gotta rebuild the Rebellion!" It's also odd, because they said Leia won't be in Episode IX (due to Carrie Fisher's death), but she didn't die in Episode VIII. Are they planning on just not using her at all in the next movie?

The Finn and Rose sub-plot was probably one of the things that hurt the movie for me. I also didn't care much for Benicio Del Toro's character... especially his voice, which was unintelligible half the time. The reveal of Rey's parents being part sellers (just like she was in Episode VII) felt like a huge "got'cha!" to fans as they set up the whole brother and sister arc the whole time. (Especially with the two being force linked, which is what you see with Luke and Leia.)

Sep 29, 2004
I kind of felt the same way. Throughout the movie, I just kept getting this feeling like the movie was sort of... aimless? Something just felt really lost.

Oh, so it is just more typical Hollywood cookie cutter crap? I'll probably see it but I pretty much expect a formulaic plot with nothing that makes me smile in it.

Now is my chance to let everyone know that Byzantium is on Netflix. It is the best vampire movie ever. It is a unique story with a good love interest and it is told via flashback. So you constantly have questions throughout the movie and they ended up answering everything for me. Not sure why RT has it at like 60% .... it should be WAY HIGHER!

So once Star Wars proves to be some cookie cutter formula, try out Byzantium. I just watched it a week ago for the first time in years and it is still epic.

EDIT: Sorry, thought I was in the movie review thread for a second.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh, so it is just more typical Hollywood cookie cutter crap? I'll probably see it but I pretty much expect a formulaic plot with nothing that makes me smile in it.

Here's the thing... there's actually nothing wrong with being cookie cutter or using tropes. You can still entertain the viewer in other ways even if it follows a beat similar to things that they've already seen.

Reactions: purbeast0

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I didn’t really care for the movie and thought TFA was better; except for thankfully TLJ didn’t feature the whole tired repeat of “oh look it’s a big dumb spherical object we need to destroy before it kills us all and hey we can use the very convenient weakness left for us by the scriptwriter.” The pointless McGuffin in the middle and scenes that strain credulity more than “and now R2-D2 can fly” make this one not much better than the prequels IMHO.

Sep 29, 2004
Here's the thing... there's actually nothing wrong with being cookie cutter or using tropes. You can still entertain the viewer in other ways even if it follows a beat similar to things that they've already seen.

At my age (41), it's hard to appreciate a movie that is cookie cutter. Tropes can repeat but if it's not truly new to me in some way I don't appreciate a movie much. I've moved towards foreign movies and smaller releases because of this. I like finding gems. Even Troll Hunter was good for me since it was a not often explored genre in terms of mythology.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I saw it last night as well. While it felt like something new unlike Ep 7, it also felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be. I left unsatisfied and the more I've thought about it today, the less I like it. The whole thing is a mess actually. No compelling story or plot to speak of. The entire side plot was unnecessary. Something just feels off about these new movies.

Last edited:

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I liked it. If I had to rank the movies:

Tier 1:
ESB, ANH

Tier 2:
Last Jedi, Rogue One, ROTJ, TFA

Tier 3:
Prequels

I really only had two major problems.

Luke milking whatever the heck that thing was. Is that where the blue milk comes from in A New Hope? Eww.

"I'm Leia Poppins, y'all!"