Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The trailer looks pretty good, but I need to see actual game play.

Wait just a second while I pull my eyeballs back from the center of my cerebral cortex. I have just seen the best game trailer of all time. ?Star Wars: The Old Republic? is an upcoming massively multi-player game from the great Bioware. This game will be a replacement for the disasterous Galaxies, a game I played for completely unreasonable periods of time, especially considering how bad it was. I was a Wookiee though and I grew greatly attached to the big furry fella.

The Old Republic is supposed to be a different kind of massively. It?ll have all the big content of WoW plus a much more story driven experience. These will be stories with lightsabers and attached to a level of epicness no other creative universe can duplicate. I might as well plan my post divorce life now. Star Wars: The Old Republic is deep in production and I assure you that Bioware will not release it until it is fully cooked. It?s not actual gameplay shown below but I think you will agree that Bioware gets Star Wars. Thanks MTV.

Better than WoW eh? Well, a lot of MMOs have claimed to do that, but all have failed thus far. We will see.

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
Cool trailer - shame none of its in-game.

The main bad guy looks like a mix of Darth Malak and Darth Vader.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
cool looking trailer, I'm going to keep an eye on this game

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
anyways, I still don't see how this can be as good KOTOR when its in MMO form. I mean unless they can actually tell a story and go somewhere with it, and that story doesn't take forever to tell...but even then, in KOTOR you got to be one of the most badass Jedi ever, an MMO makes sure that won't happen.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Sweet trailer,unfortunately an MMO can never deliver a roleplaying experience equivalent to an RPG, especially the successor of Kotor. But really, if anyone can de-throne Blizzard, Bioware are perhaps the only studio that can do it- they are quite similar to Blizzard, best sellers left right and center all high quality titles.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The trailer is a pure spectacle, I wish the movies of the new trilogy were just as good. And I do hope that the game ends up much better than Star Wars Galaxies. If there's a Steam version I will certainly consider buying it, it would be my second MMORPG (I tried Star Wars Galaxies for eight months, then quit).

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Bioware has proven that they can make a good RPG but who knows if they can even make a decent MMO. I'll play the trial when it comes out but just don't have the time nor patience to play MMO's any more.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
look forward to in-game footage

CG footage only makes me go look at the pretty CG sequences

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked

Wait just a second while I pull my eyeballs back from the center of my cerebral cortex. I have just seen the best game trailer of all time. ?Star Wars: The Old Republic? is an upcoming massively multi-player game from the great Bioware. This game will be a replacement for the disasterous Galaxies, a game I played for completely unreasonable periods of time, especially considering how bad it was. I was a Wookiee though and I grew greatly attached to the big furry fella.

The Old Republic is supposed to be a different kind of massively. It?ll have all the big content of WoW plus a much more story driven experience. These will be stories with lightsabers and attached to a level of epicness no other creative universe can duplicate. I might as well plan my post divorce life now. Star Wars: The Old Republic is deep in production and I assure you that Bioware will not release it until it is fully cooked. It?s not actual gameplay shown below but I think you will agree that Bioware gets Star Wars. Thanks MTV.

Better than WoW eh? Well, a lot of MMOs have claimed to do that, but all have failed thus far. We will see.

Better than WoW? Guild Wars, EVE Online, Warhammer, are all better. Hopefully, we'll see another MMO better than WoW that actually sells well.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Too bad it isn't single-player. This trailer just makes me think of a missed opportunity. A next gen single-player (or co-op) game could be much closer to this quality than the MMO gameplay clips they've shown.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
I guess the only thing we can hope for is that Bioware can pull off a MMO that has all the same qualities as their single player RPG's...

I do have to admit, however, that the trailer was badass and makes me want to fire up KOTOR again.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I totally just came. THAT is the best game trailer I've ever seen. I might actually get a job and pay a subscription if the game is that good.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm pretty excited for TOR, but I'm really skeptical. The game doesn't seem like it will have raids or really any "group pve," since grouping with a Jedi would seem trivial... What's the end game content going to be? Because I can't think of anything aside from pvp. More content than WoW? *guffaw*

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: Baked

Better than WoW? Guild Wars, EVE Online, Warhammer, are all better. Hopefully, we'll see another MMO better than WoW that actually sells well.

isn't this all subjective? Personally, I haven't found a better mmo than wow and i haven't played it in years. i've played pretty much every major mmo release since it came out and haven't stuck with them for more than the free trial.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's the end game content going to be? Because I can't think of anything aside from pvp.

You are just way too in to the WoW mindset. End game PvE raid content in this game would actually seem to be the whole point- raiding the oppositions bases/defending your own. With the story based structure of the game and strong indications that this will be a 'phased' game all around(like Blizz has toyed with slightly in Icecrown). Instead of 'boss' fights where you go against one big dumb mob that does the same thing over and over, you fight a comparable 'raid group' of NPCs from the opposing faction.

While my WoW account is still active, the game has really tanked. While I have been under the impression that ToR would give WoW a good run for its' money for some time now, lately I think Galaxies could handle that ;)

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
What's the end game content going to be? Because I can't think of anything aside from pvp.

You are just way too in to the WoW mindset. End game PvE raid content in this game would actually seem to be the whole point- raiding the oppositions bases/defending your own. With the story based structure of the game and strong indications that this will be a 'phased' game all around(like Blizz has toyed with slightly in Icecrown). Instead of 'boss' fights where you go against one big dumb mob that does the same thing over and over, you fight a comparable 'raid group' of NPCs from the opposing faction.

While my WoW account is still active, the game has really tanked. While I have been under the impression that ToR would give WoW a good run for its' money for some time now, lately I think Galaxies could handle that ;)

Same shit different game. What makes you think a raid group of NPC's is going to be any less dumb than a raid boss? That's just a biased statement on your part.

Like I said, I'm excited for TOR. I just don't know how they're going to keep people playing in the endgame. I'm sure there will be an endgame of some kind, *I* just don't know what it will be.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Zenoth
The trailer is a pure spectacle, I wish the movies of the new trilogy were just as good. And I do hope that the game ends up much better than Star Wars Galaxies. If there's a Steam version I will certainly consider buying it, it would be my second MMORPG (I tried Star Wars Galaxies for eight months, then quit).

Why on earth would you bring Steam into it.

As others have said, if anyone could do it, it would be Bioware if they can translate their single player experience to an MMO.
Star Wars is also (in theory) a good setting for an MMO developed by the right team.
There are the makings of osmething good if it all works well together, but obviously whether they will manage it or not is another matter, but you would expect there won't be too much pressure to rush things out of the door since Bioware have a track record of delivering.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
Why does there have to be an endgame? Why can't we just play through the MMOs "Story" and then be "Done"? This is how it should work.

mesthead21

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2004
Originally posted by: GaryJohnson
Why does there have to be an endgame? Why can't we just play through the MMOs "Story" and then be "Done"? This is how it should work.

This sounds like a KOTOR... I've never ever heard of an MMO ending (unless for financial reasons)

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yeah I don't think I would pay monthly for a game that had an ending in the traditional sense.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What makes you think a raid group of NPC's is going to be any less dumb than a raid boss?

Bioware's AI is light years beyond anything Blizzard has ever done is a big part of that, they know how to make challenging one on one battles without their side being significantly more powerful.

That's just a biased statement on your part.

Bioware's talent is an issue of bias?

I'm sure there will be an endgame of some kind, *I* just don't know what it will be.

If you stepped outside of your shrine to all things Blizzard and read up on it I'm not speculating :)

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GaryJohnson

Because it's an MMO - people need something to do at the end of the day.

The devs did state that each class will have it's own unique storyline [think of Blizzards phasing technology] - so this in effect is what you're asking for.

What I'm hoping for an end game is exactly what SWG had - there is no specific "end game" - the end game is what YOU make of it. That was the beauty of SWG -

You want to dance/whore yourself in a cantina - go for it.
You want to be a bounty hunter that does nothing but hunt jedi - kudos to you!
You want to fly around in space mining up precious materials or vaporizing your enemies into space dust - rawr!
You want to sit in Coronet selling drugs and slicing armor/weapons - "arrrgh matey"
You want to just build droids and modify spaceships - go anakin go!
Or you just want to stand in the middle of the trade district and act like a kiddie jacked up on illegal smuggler drugs - /ignore you will be.

I really can't see an end game raid in this MMO other than what SWG had... and I do hope that's what it will be.