Star wars, star trek, which one do you like more?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

So??

• Star Wars

• Star Trek

• Like both equally

• Dislike both

• I like to vote

• I am from the raging moron collective

Results are only viewable after voting.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That's all so broad that it can and does encompass entire genres, and there's also some other stuff that I could waste my time on, but I won't because we're never going to agree and I'm not enough of an ultranerd to argue this until the end of time. If anything, you're caught up on plot points at the expense of theme or essence.

Fair enough. You are probably right about that.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Star Trek for sure. There are some amazing episodes that really make you think. Star Wars is just sci-fi fodder aimed at man-kids. Not that I mind, I like Star Wars also but let's not pretend it makes you ponder anything.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Star Trek has provided more intellectual "what if?" stimulation for me (especially TNG). Star Wars is just a western-style action movie that takes place in a galaxy far away.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Star Trek is the best by far. Star Wars is just the same politics and warmongering bullshit we deal with now but on a galactic and technological scale way beyond ours. Star Trek actually has a vision about what society could/should be like in the future. Personally, I'd rather live in the Star Trek world.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
8rij8oc.jpg

APGbIcO.jpg

H6B9GxK.jpg

Last edited:

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
That is OK!! I bet when you are at bat you strike out a lot,,,,

Inner voice 1: Hmm, how should I end this sentence?

Inner voice 2: How about a shitload of commas?

Inner voice 1: Okay! *types*

Star Trek is the best by far. Star Wars is just the same politics and warmongering bullshit we deal with now but on a galactic and technological scale way beyond ours. Star Trek actually has a vision about what society could/should be like in the future. Personally, I'd rather live in the Star Trek world.

Of course, but it'll never happen. There is no Star Trek future. Star Wars is far more realistic.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Star Trek is boardroom bickering in space and drinking tea. Arguing with robots.

Star Wars is fun and fantastical, filled with emotion at spots. Amazing how much better it is with only 3 movies total. Hopefully this fourth movie coming out--wow! more than 3 decades since the last SW film!--isn't too little too late. Or worse: cheapen all that came before. That would be sad.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Star Trek is a very different beast from Wars. Episodes like "The Inner Light" and "The Measure of A Man" highlight that this is a show about ideas where as Star Wars was a about all the action and futuristic serials all rolled into one mega adventure. It isn't at all plausible. The "Hope" trailer from Old Republic hammers this home pretty hard, what with outnumbered Republic troops with the high ground and armed with incendiary rocket launchers ludicrously charging downwards and giving up their perch to face sword wielding maniacs in melee on even footing. :rolleyes: Lightsabers are equally impractical.

Star Trek TNG > Voyager > Enterprise > Original Star Wars Films. fullstop. The other movies and shows are all bad.

Star wars is entertaining though terribly ignorant writing such as "it's the ship that made the kessel run in under 12 parsecs" really ruin the immersion. I do look forward to seeing what is possible with a non-Lucas star wars film. I can't say I have a clue as I've successfully avoided all previews and discussions of the upcoming Star Wars film. Movies are so much better when you see it as it was intended... previews really destroy everything.

Being able to do the kessel run in under 12 parsecs could be a feat if the Falcon's maneuverability afforded it the option of taking shorter, abit much more dangerous paths than any typical ship would even dream of taking. The Falcon could navigate an asteroid field for example; A feat C-3PO defined as being basically suicide.

Feb 4, 2009
Star Trek is boardroom bickering in space and drinking tea. Arguing with robots.

Star Wars is fun and fantastical, filled with emotion at spots. Amazing how much better it is with only 3 movies total. Hopefully this fourth movie coming out--wow! more than 3 decades since the last SW film!--isn't too little too late. Or worse: cheapen all that came before. That would be sad.

I see what you did here. Completely ignoring the prequels. Good work.

Fun fact ask around at work tomorrow I bet the majority of under 30's will say episode 3 (final prequel) is best of all star wars films. The original will look dated for many under 30.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006

Fun fact ask around at work tomorrow I bet the majority of under 30's will say episode 3 (final prequel) is best of all star wars films. The original will look dated for many under 30.

Anybody who truly believes that Revenge of the Sith is better than The Empire Strikes Back is a drooling, barking, shit-gnawing psychopath.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The star trek reboot background music/orchestra is just pure awesome. Let's see what star wars reboot can do in that category.
Star Wars has had some of the best Orchestral Music for any movie which is why the music is so iconic. The newer "Star Trek" movies don't have anything on any Star Wars movies, not even the prequels.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Star Wars has had some of the best Orchestral Music for any movie which is why the music is so iconic. The newer "Star Trek" movies don't have anything on any Star Wars movies, not even the prequels.

yeah, seriously--how could new star wars flicks get better in terms of score? Also, it isn't a reboot by any stretch. Is that dude paying attention?
Can anyone even hum parts of new Star Trek scores? Would more than 25% of people be able to recognize it? lolno.

One glaring issue with Star Trek and why it fails in the world of cinema is that enough people deemed that it actually needed a reboot. ...Let's think about that, folks.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
Star Trek TNG > Voyager > Enterprise > Original Star Wars Films. fullstop. The other movies and shows are all bad.

Star wars is entertaining though terribly ignorant writing such as "it's the ship that made the kessel run in under 12 parsecs" really ruin the immersion. I do look forward to seeing what is possible with a non-Lucas star wars film. I can't say I have a clue as I've successfully avoided all previews and discussions of the upcoming Star Wars film. Movies are so much better when you see it as it was intended... previews really destroy everything.

The other Star Trek Movies and series are ok in moderation except the animated crap.

I watched each of the first 6 Star Wars and the Ewok movies once and enjoyed them; I'll watch the seventh and the planned future spin-offs

BUT

I can watch the various star trek series once about once about every five years and enjoy them again; is it because there is so much more in a running television series, I don't know:

They will show all the original Star Wars movies as a prelude to Star Wars 7 so it can't be because I'm too cheap to watch in a movie theater that won't let me bring my own popcorn and want $10 for a small box of their stale popcorn. I would rather watch some Enterprise or Voyager or Deep space ( - I've watched Star Trek TNG and Original Star Trek in the last two years so it will be awhile till I want to watch them again; the same with the movies; bout every 5 years I'll watch them when they are on TV. I only watched Enterprise once so I'm primed for that again.

Maybe I'm getting too old.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
yeah, seriously--how could new star wars flicks get better in terms of score? Also, it isn't a reboot by any stretch. Is that dude paying attention?
Can anyone even hum parts of new Star Trek scores? Would more than 25% of people be able to recognize it? lolno.

One glaring issue with Star Trek and why it fails in the world of cinema is that enough people deemed that it actually needed a reboot. ...Let's think about that, folks.

Yes, John Williams >>> Michael Giaccino (or however you spell it).

Still, Star Trek was rebooted because the original cast couldn't keep playing the same roles they did in the '60s and many of them are dead.

If they made another Star Trek TV series, it probably wouldn't be a reboot.

Going back to watch TOS, I actually don't like it at all. TNG and even Voyager are way better.

Last edited:

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Try it out. You can't do it in big groups because the older guys will take over.

I actually believe you. I haven't heard anyone say that new SW > old SW, but given how many people think Abrams' ST movies were fine, I believe it.

It's obviously too late for either series, but I wish the suits would let both franchises just rest in peace for a while longer. Trek needs a total clean restart like they did going from TOS to TNG, and no I don't mean a fucking reboot, that is not the same thing at all. Star Wars is in pretty much the same place after the Jar Jar trilogy, hopefully the new movies are exactly the restart that they need. I'm not holding my breath though, not after past disappointments and how Abrams leaves no goat unblown. They're just going to keep at it until either they get lucky and actually make something good or we all get sick of it.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

I don't know, the prequels were so awful I doubt that would be the case.

It's interesting I just recently got into watching Doctor Who, and I have several friends who say the old episodes are the only ones worth watching. But, as BBCA has been airing some of the one from the 70's frequently, I just can't watch them, can't do it. So, I definitely know what you're getting at. But the Star Wars prequels are too shitty, I think, for that to ever be true in this situation. Maybe if the great Darth Vader wasn't a whinny little cry-baby wuss... maybe... but he is. And the movies blow. I've never seen the 2nd or 3rd again after seeing then once in theaters.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Star Wars isn't really Sci Fi. None of the plots revolve around science fiction, they are just a pile of action movies. Indiana Jones in space basically. In fact most of the plot revolves around a made up religion which is the opposite of science fiction (Phantom Menace's poor attempt to reconcile the two with midichlorians notwithstanding).

Meanwhile everything done under the Star Trek banner except for the new JJ movies (which are basically Trek in name only) has been real Sci Fi. Some of it is crappy Sci Fi, but it's Sci Fi. I prefer Sci Fi to action so Trek is my pick.

I mean, Star Trek created the entire Sci Fi universe that so many shows take for granted. Warp/FTL drives, transporters, tractor beams, etc. are all commonplace in Sci Fis that have nothing to do with Trek. And often these Sci Fis don't bother explaining what the warp or FTL drive does, we all just kinda know thanks to decades of Star Trek in our culture. Without Trek every new Sci Fi would waste half the first season trying to explain its little world to us instead of getting into the main plot. That is Trek's legacy.

The few times space opera Sci Fis have tried to make it work without the Trek elements have all been failures. Either you have BSGs that are obviously meant to be contrary to what Trek did (and is therefore influenced by Trek) or you get something like Stargate SG1 when they start the series hopping around space through gates (not Trek) but they end the series with battles of spacecraft that have transporters and warp drives (very Trek). Trek is the language in which all modern Sci Fi is written.

Actually a lot of that stuff was in books before star trek was even an idea. there was a post about it on here awhile back.