Star Wars: Squadrons (successor to X-Wing/TIE Fighter?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
gameplay trailer with rundown of modes and single/multiplayer grind tree.

unlock upgrade modules for performance change/personalization.
unlock character customization options.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I think I'm sold.
I saw it supports gamepads. I'm wondering about flight sticks though.. And what are some good ones these days?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think I'm sold.
I saw it supports gamepads. I'm wondering about flight sticks though.. And what are some good ones these days?
The PC gamer link I linked to on the 1st page says it supports full HOTAS setups (hands on throttle and stick). However, it's been years and years since I've used a stick, so I have no idea what is good or bad.

That said, I think also think I'm sold on getting the game. The fleet game mode looks insane.

Reactions: maevinj

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
A rather uninspired title, but it could be fun. EA is capable of publishing Star Wars games with a solid single player experience and no predatory microtransactions- Jedi Fallen Order proved that. So here's hoping thay Squadrons is another solid, enjoyable game. Also, flying an X-wing in VR? That's a killer app for VR if there ever was one.

Feb 4, 2009
I have a suspicion this will be similar to Conan Exiles as in there will be a ton of non game altering trivial DLC like ship skins or pilot voice packs or Capital ships and so on.
Not saying that is a bad thing.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
The PC gamer link I linked to on the 1st page says it supports full HOTAS setups (hands on throttle and stick). However, it's been years and years since I've used a stick, so I have no idea what is good or bad.

That said, I think also think I'm sold on getting the game. The fleet game mode looks insane.

The Thrustmaster Warthog is still a top HOTAS so is the Saitek X56. Some more budget options would be things like Saitek X52, Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS or the basic Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS.

I use the Warthog myself but I have a T16000M stick (no throttle) for a dual stick HOTAS setup.

Reactions: maevinj

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I will hope that this kicks off a space combat sim genre revival. That will likely be the best thing that comes from this.

One possible reason the game is launching for $40 might be the fact that space sims technically cost next to nothing to make (relative to many other genres) since the entire level design and all the assets associated with it go right out the window and your art and assets guys are just working on ship models and your level design guys are just working on scripting.

No complicated animation rigging, environments, or anything else. Take some ship/space stations/asteroids, throw them over a pretty skybox, and baby you got a stew going.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
A rather uninspired title, but it could be fun. EA is capable of publishing Star Wars games with a solid single player experience and no predatory microtransactions- Jedi Fallen Order proved that. So here's hoping thay Squadrons is another solid, enjoyable game. Also, flying an X-wing in VR? That's a killer app for VR if there ever was one.
I wonder if Disney had a hand in that. I'm sure they rather just get poeple excited about Star Wars instead of making a few extra bucks with MTX, especially since EA probably sees the bulk of it.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Will be waiting for reviews, the single player sounds fun, but the multiplayer just sounds dumb. 5v5? Boring, give me the epic space battles from the movies!

Reactions: Midwayman

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Will be waiting for reviews, the single player sounds fun, but the multiplayer just sounds dumb. 5v5? Boring, give me the epic space battles from the movies!

Either that or a little variety, like 5v1 where the 1 is the Millenium Falcon in a time limited evasion where 5 have to find and destroy the Falcon before they can jump. The whole game does kinda feel like a stopgap to meet the exclusive license requirements. They could have been more ambitious with the game but then maybe they plan to mentise the game by selling 1v1 for $10 or 2v2 for $20... I really shouldn't give EA ideas.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Makes you wonder how we've gone so backwards in MP gaming where in days of old you'd have 128 player matches (or larger, some Tribes MP was absolutely nuts) or even 64 player matches but here in whats supposed to be a fleet battle game we're down to 5v5?

What the hell happened, did net code regress or something?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Makes you wonder how we've gone so backwards in MP gaming where in days of old you'd have 128 player matches (or larger, some Tribes MP was absolutely nuts) or even 64 player matches but here in whats supposed to be a fleet battle game we're down to 5v5?

What the hell happened, did net code regress or something?
{Insert obligatory PlanetSide reference here!}

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Heck I'd be interested if they just remade the original X-wing and TIE Fighter inside this game as classic single-player game modes. Of course they probably can't do that because some stuff from TIE Fighter and the X-wing expansion probably wouldn't gel with post-Disney Star Wars canon.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
PC Gamer had a new article about the game today. Looks pretty cool. :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-squadrons-cockpits-will-look-like-they-were-built-in-the-70s/
....Today EA shared more about what each class can do, how pilots can get the most out of their machines, and how it's going about recreating futuristic technology from a long time ago.

baoSRtAYy8Vrv4No2pkikn-650-80.jpg.webp

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I for one am eagerly awaiting the post exclusive license period for the franchise.

The sequel trilogy might have been a wet plop for me, but the real meat of the SW universe has always been in the expanded universe content.

Reactions: DeathReborn

loki1944

Apr 23, 2020

it looks pretty damned amazing. Still frames of the cockpits resemble a strong influences from the classic Lucas Arts games too. I'm VERY much looking forward to this one.
It will be a hard decision between PS5 and PC though I have to admit. My PC is not entirely up to modern spec...

Based on their Battlefront games I fully expect it to be massively inferior to the original outside of graphics.

Why Battlefront 2 (2005) Is Still Better Than EA's Battlefront 2 In 2019

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Based on their Battlefront games I fully expect it to be massively inferior to the original outside of graphics.

They could just copy Tie Fighter if they really wanted (instead of XvT, which I felt was an inferior title). One wonders how many of the devs have actually played that with the expansions or understand why it was so good?

Reactions: loki1944

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
actual gameplay and short review and breakdown of controls and modes. fleet battles seemingly have more narrative and mechanisms for depth, but with only 4 fighters per side replayability is a concern.
fleet battles is effectively a moba like dota/lol where you are managing the meta to get to the point where you can take on the end target/wincon.

Reactions: Midwayman

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Actually it looks like they've gone back to the Xwing-TIE Fighter paradigm instead of the crap we saw in Jump to Light Speed. And that's pretty cool. If this game has good single-player then it could be a winner.

Reactions: shortylickens

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Depends on how they tune the controls. Warthunder for example has both mouse and hotas support. You are at a severe disadvantage using a hotas vs a mouse user. You really need hotas lobbies (which tend to be empty) or a extend single player game where your control choice isn't over shadowed by the aiming precision of a mouse.

Game lobby speed happened. 128 players needs a server and server browser. You join games in progress. 5v5 you can spin up quickly as soon as you press the "play now" button. You can thank consoles for that game lobby paradigm. I mean they can support more players, but people complain about joining in games in progress, uneven server balance, etc.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
actual gameplay and short review and breakdown of controls and modes. fleet battles seemingly have more narrative and mechanisms for depth, but with only 4 fighters per side replayability is a concern.
fleet battles is effectively a moba like dota/lol where you are managing the meta to get to the point where you can take on the end target/wincon.
That gameplay really reminds me of a free to play game but I can't remember which game it was.