Star Wars: Squadrons (successor to X-Wing/TIE Fighter?)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

it looks pretty damned amazing. Still frames of the cockpits resemble a strong influences from the classic Lucas Arts games too. I'm VERY much looking forward to this one.
It will be a hard decision between PS5 and PC though I have to admit. My PC is not entirely up to modern spec...

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Evil Awful is involved so I check my hype at the door.....but this looks great and fun. Hopefully single player is more than a tutorial for the MP game.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yeah, we can only hope. It does look nice.

On the plus side, I didn't see Carry Poppins flying through space in any of the footage. :p

:D :D :D :D

i did get nerd chills. i <removed> loved tie fighter. i also hated it very very much - i think i'm stuck on the last mission (i've been the game before but this go round i kept losing and i legit raged)

WE have a PG13 Rule in effect in PC and Gaming which says no profanity. Lets keep the threads clean please.
PC Gaming Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, we've been asking for it for years.
Lets wait and see if it sucks ass before criticizing it.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
One can only hope this is what the actual game is like:

qbxjzr-P7BUVxAOc.jpg

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
:D :D :D :D

i did get nerd chills. i <removed> loved tie fighter. i also hated it very very much - i think i'm stuck on the last mission (i've been the game before but this go round i kept losing and i legit raged)
XWing was my first "real" PC video game - and TIE Fighter right behind it. I had my Amiga 500 before that, but this was the first time I had a 25Mhz PC to play something like this. I actually had to go to Best Buy to buy a SoundBlaster to play it. Had to figure out all the IRQs, create a boot-disk etc etc. We go way back. I (and many others) have said for decades now that all they had to do was modernize that series and they'd print money. Hopefully they don't disappoint,

You know what would be a nice little cherry on top? Voice commands to your R2 unit. "R2, switch all power to the front deflector shields!"

Reactions: BudAshes

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
XWing was my first "real" PC video game - and TIE Fighter right behind it. I had my Amiga 500 before that, but this was the first time I had a 25Mhz PC to play something like this. I actually had to go to Best Buy to buy a SoundBlaster to play it. Had to figure out all the IRQs, create a boot-disk etc etc. We go way back. I (and many others) have said for decades now that all they had to do was modernize that series and they'd print money. Hopefully they don't disappoint,

You know what would be a nice little cherry on top? Voice commands to your R2 unit. "R2, switch all power to the front deflector shields!"

One of my friends noted that this might be the "killer app" for them to get a VR setup.

Not gonna lie, that would be a mind-blowing experience. I think my friend might have a slight leg up since he's actually flown military fighter jets!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
One of my friends noted that this might be the "killer app" for them to get a VR setup.

Not gonna lie, that would be a mind-blowing experience. I think my friend might have a slight leg up since he's actually flown military fighter jets!

I agree. I have never even contemplated VR for anything... up until now. I would have to get setup in the basement though. I don't want anyone seeing me play this in VR :)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Evil Awful is involved so I check my hype at the door.....but this looks great and fun. Hopefully single player is more than a tutorial for the MP game.

EA's most recent Star Wars game is Fallen Order, and its quite good.

Reactions: Red Hawk
Feb 4, 2009

Yup, I have had zero interest in VR since it adds so much complexity and drag to playing a game with little result that adds fun but I have to ag
I agree. I have never even contemplated VR for anything... up until now. I would have to get setup in the basement though. I don't want anyone seeing me play this in VR :)

and this too

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The 5v5 bit at the end is giving me pause. Are they trying to make this into an e-sport game? Also it is $40? either this is a small game or they have monetized it like mad.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The 5v5 bit at the end is giving me pause. Are they trying to make this into an e-sport game? Also it is $40? either this is a small game or they have monetized it like mad.

These are two things that gave me pause as well.I have virtually zero interest in any sort of multiplier. And I refuse to pay-to-play in video games. All I hope is that there's even some basic stand alone - randomly generated would be great.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
These are two things that gave me pause as well.I have virtually zero interest in any sort of multiplier. And I refuse to pay-to-play in video games. All I hope is that there's even some basic stand alone - randomly generated would be great.
The outlook isn't so good on that aspect. It's a shame, as a robust single-player option would be fun, and sometimes you just don't want to play multiplayer.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-squadrons-will-support-full-hotas-setups/
was a little bit disappointed (but not surprised) when Electronic Arts revealed that Star Wars: Squadrons will be focused primarily on multiplayer: There will be a "singleplayer story," but the trailer and game description on Origin both emphasize 5v5 battles almost exclusively.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm 46 years old with 2 teenage kids. I have zero friends that play video games. Ah well. We'll see how this pans out.

Yeah I went thru that period too, I don’t have kids but friends do it will change.
Shit message me and we’ll play together provided the game doesn’t suck.

Reactions: Homerboy
Feb 4, 2009
I'm in the same situation + 4 years.

You are invited to message me too.
In my experience once kids get to teens it becomes easier again. Basically when kids no longer have soccer, baseball, field hockey, football or any other games to attend.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You are invited to message me too.
In my experience once kids get to teens it becomes easier again. Basically when kids no longer have soccer, baseball, field hockey, football or any other games to attend.

Oh, I have time (more or less), I was stating they were in their teens implying they don't/won't play video games with me at all anymore.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I hope to be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me it's going to be focused on multiplayer, with maybe a very short "campaign" that might take something like 2 hours to finish. We'll see. I hope it's much better than that though. A nice single player space combat-focused Star Wars game would be awesome.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I hope to be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me it's going to be focused on multiplayer, with maybe a very short "campaign" that might take something like 2 hours to finish. We'll see. I hope it's much better than that though. A nice single player space combat-focused Star Wars game would be awesome.

-Yeah, this is going to be in the mold of Battlefront 2. Short story campaign that ties into the greater universe as a small bit of dribbled out lore or backstory, then just a metric ton of MTX/DLC fed multiplayer on top of that.

It reminds me of the tragedy of Darth Interplay the wise, despite having dozens of talented studios with numerous interesting franchises, its attempts to cash in on the very things that gave it value destroyed the very thing that made it great and lead to its death. Not a tale you would hear from a Jedi...