'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
12,755
3
0
153281-star_wars_341.jpg
"Star Wars"


Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set on rereleasing the "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Although 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas purportedly was waiting until there were enough screens available to make the release a sizable event.

Fox, which released all six original "Star Wars" films, also would release the 3D versions.

Episode I, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock during early 2012. After that, each film would be released in order at the same time in consecutive years, depending on how well the first rerelease does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas overseeing the process to make sure each is as perfect as possible. He has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" is ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Starting with "Phantom Menace," Lucasfilm would use several higher-end conversion houses to work on the project. By late winter or early spring in 2012, the exhibition industry should have all the 3D screens anyone could want for such a release.

At present, pics are limited to 2,000-2,500 3D locations owing to an insufficient installed base of projectors and screens. Movie theaters are adding 3D screens at a clip of 500 a month in the U.S. Foreign exhibitors also are pushing into 3D as quickly as possible now that financing for the installations is flowing.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D TV technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped sets and Sony recently sending its version to market, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the films by the time the new 3D theatrical releases have run their course.

Lucas purportedly is lining up the theatrical rereleases as a lead-in to the ultimate home-viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to other 3D media.

In the meantime, Lucas plans a comprehensive Blu-ray Disc set of the six films next year, which would include upgraded picture and sound quality, new deleted scenes and special features.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2c7592835d50e86a3a
 

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
7,559
0
0
I'm fuckin declaring Jihad on George Lucas.

BTW, this comes out in 2012... the Mayan calendar ends in 2012... coincidence?
 

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
12,363
475
126
hahah that motherfucker ain't gettin' any more of my money.

...unless it's a game like KOTOR.
 

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
32,539
260
126
interesting, if this all goes through i believe some of these films will be theater released now for their fourth time...making good money each time at that. Wonder if any other film can even approach that level of theater traffic.
 

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
7,740
11
81
I love star wars as much as the next guy/girl but I'm still not buying into this 3D BS.
 
Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,712
427
126
tbqhwy.com
so we wont be getting the original theatrical releases on blu ray because "it will cost too much to convert them"

but hes gonna convert them to shitty pseudo 3D, id wager a guess that its not going to be cheap to do that as well
 

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
33,655
688
126
I have lost all respect for George Lucas. I am one of the biggest Star Wars fans around and thought the man was a creative genius, but with the release of "The Phantom Menace," his constant back-tracking and re-releasing of the film in different boxed set versions, and him contradicting many aspects of the story that he previously said were true, I realize he is nothing but a money-grubbing hasbeen and doesn't care how much he tarnishes the Star Wars name.
 

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
33,655
688
126
so we wont be getting the original theatrical releases on blu ray because "it will cost too much to convert them"

IIRC, he also used a similar lame excuse for the DVDs but then he must have "magically" converted them because the last set had the original releases. I was so pissed that I didn't buy the set.

but hes gonna convert them to shitty pseudo 3D, id wager a guess that its not going to be cheap to do that as well

It won't be cheap, but he is counting on people flocking to the theater to see them AND the inevitable release of yet another boxed set (BR-3D) to sell. It is ridiculous.
 

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
25,696
1
81
How the hell do you turn a movie that was shot on a regular film camera into "3d"?
 

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
16,367
4
81
This is horrible, this idea. 3D isn't even that great when it is filmed in 3D (Avatar). It's downright awful when added after the fact (Clash of the Titans, Star Wars).
 

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
2,567
2
81
Instead of putting all of this effort into re-re-releasing these movies, put the time and effort into EXPANDING THE UNIVERSE A BIT! Perhaps go back to the original Sith/Jedi wars. Give some back story to this universe.

Also, George. Don't bother writing the screenplay. Please.
 

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
17,501
12
0
Instead of putting all of this effort into re-re-releasing these movies, put the time and effort into EXPANDING THE UNIVERSE A BIT! Perhaps go back to the original Sith/Jedi wars. Give some back story to this universe.

Also, George. Don't bother writing the screenplay. Please.

George shouldn't direct either. I don't think its a fluke that Empire Strikes Back was the best.

What ever happened to the live action show they were going to do? It was supposed to come out two years ago.
 

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
68,143
10
81
ugh. no thank you. im done buying Star wars movies. i don't care if they have some super lost footage of luke fucking leia while chewbacka jerks off.

don't care.

fuck him.