Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - $9.99 from Circuit City!

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
meh

star wars games

how many times can you hear a saber swoosh and phaser shot before it gets old?

Krutoy

Apr 21, 2003
Originally posted by: daveymark
is this multiplayer online capable?

No its single player only.

Originally posted by: alm4rr
meh

star wars games

How can star wars ever get old? Also the game itself is really good, similar in play style to Baldur's gate.

Meatwad

Aug 19, 2004
meh

star wars games

For real dude, Star Wars RPGs are just absolutely flooding the market and I'm getting sick of it. Why can't it be like 90% of all other RPGs and have goblins, the undead, and orcs running around being killed by heroic adventurers wielding magic weapons? Or casting fireballs!? Seriously, skeletons getting killed by fireballs is underutilized in today's RPGs and we shouldn't stand for it anymore!

RaNDoMMAI

Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Meatwad
meh

star wars games

For real dude, Star Wars RPGs are just absolutely flooding the market and I'm getting sick of it. Why can't it be like 90% of all other RPGs and have goblins, the undead, and orcs running around being killed by heroic adventurers wielding magic weapons? Or casting fireballs!? Seriously, skeletons getting killed by fireballs is underutilized in today's RPGs and we shouldn't stand for it anymore!

LoL
Still better then the SIMs. i dunno how people can get sucked into that.

btw is this game online? i am looing for a good computer game to play but i dont want to play online. just a nice rpg to play through once or twice.
i have alrdy played chrono trigger like twice recently getting tired of my roms=/

~RaNDoM

CrazyGamer

Sep 19, 2003
I believe it is single player (offline) and from what I've heard its great for a few play throughs.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyGamer
I believe it is single player (offline) and from what I've heard its great for a few play throughs.
Correct. I've played through it 3 times and intend to go through it at least once more. It's an awesome game.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
With 2 different endings and characters responding differently depending upon your gender, then its arguably worth playing through at least 4 times ;)

jdiddy

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2004
Great game at a awsome price. Can't wait for KOTOR 2 to come out in December.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Deadmanh
went to fry's and had it pricematched no prob... thanks for the info

How does the pricematch rules work at Fry's? Do they match online ads? What are the limitations?

CrazyGamer

Sep 19, 2003
Update: Never got the instock alert/notice but manually tried to order and went thru as instock (as of 9am EST), in case anyone else is waiting/looking for it. Good luck.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyGamer
Update: Never got the instock alert/notice but manually tried to order and went thru as instock (as of 9am EST), in case anyone else is waiting/looking for it. Good luck.

thanks, just placed an order

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
meh

star wars games

How many times can you hear a shotgun blast and a grenade go off before it gets old?

That's a really ignorant position to take. Trust me. I thought the same thing. I hadn't liked a Star Wars game since Tie Fighter.

KotOR is one of the best games ever made - I would say it's the best RPG ever made regardless of how you feel about Star Wars.

Go get a copy. at $10, it's not like you're losing anything, whereas if you don't pick up a copy, you ARE losing quite a bit.

It didn't get game of the year from over 50 publications for no reason. I was going to upgrade for HL2. Now I'm putting that off to upgrade for KotOR 2. It's that good.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
true, but I have been disappointed with star wars games. I'll wait for it to be cheaper, or if they release a double pack with the next one, depending on its ratings.... I'm playin RTW right now which takes up most of my gaming time atm

I'd prob go for <$5 bargain bin tho :)

RaNDoMMAI

Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by:

KotOR is one of the best games ever made - I would say it's the best RPG ever made regardless of how you feel about Star Wars.

i dunno, chrono Trigger was pretty awesome, so was shining force 2.

anyway, do i need a good vid card to play this game? i only have a Ati radeon 9000

~RaNDoM

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!

I bought it about two weeks ago at $20. Spent almost a week solid of nearly every spare minute playing it. Beat it 4 times. It's fun but here are the problems.

1. TOO DAMN MANY/LONG/UNAVOIDABLE cutscenes! I swear, about half the playtime is watching cutscenes. First time it's fine, but you can't turn the damn things off for replays, and most of them the text can't even be skipped through.
2. No sex cutscene. Oh theres a sex scene... but it goes from you seducing her to her telling you how awful it was. with a 3 second blank screen in between. You don't see so much as a snuggle.
3. Running. Oh dear god so much running. The teleport function doesnt work in 90% of the places you'd use it. And half the time it doesn't let you teleport back for whatever reason.
4. Dark side is for pansies. You want to be a dark jedi? Ok you sacrifice everything for power, shrink away from your comrades and display a growing distaste for mankind. WRONG! You threaten old people, act like a petty street thug and lie about how much you love the light side. Oooo ominous.
5. REALLY imbalanced. Soldier/Guardian can drop the end boss (on normal) without using a single healthpack or even bothering to stop him from healing (he has like 8-12 full heals he uses at about 40% health each) Scoundral/consular can't freaking kill him without running around and tossing grenades everytime he holds still for a second.
6. No attack ground with nades command
7. You can't have more than one character doing noncombat activities at a time. So whenever I want to bash a twelve foot wide door down. I bash on it for two freaking minutes while my two companions twiddle their damn thumbs.
8. At no point do you get to control your entire group in a sweet mass-battle .
9. STUPID AI and no balancing feature for the game. So when I was a guardian/soldier I could Kill the endboss at the first encounter in ONE round of combat. I would attack him, he'd go down to 1VP and then freeze me and run off. I'd find him, again knock him down to 1vp instantly. Then a cutscene where I'm frozen and he's telling me how even my entire group is no match for him (Mind you I can solo kill him in less than a second at this point in the game). Then I... I ! run away from him.
10. Really small and pointless zones. Manaan is so damn small the whole damn thing could have fit inside one, two zones tops. But instead we get about ten zones just for the freaking town. Most of them have one or two npc's and otherwise are just wastes of time running to and from zones on either side. Tattoine has like three zones and some buildings... but the zones are huge and 99% empty space. Takes about three minutes of nothing but running to get to where you are going.
11. Confusing maps + knight speed. With all that running knightspeed is a godsend. You run about 150% as fast as usual. But your vision is blurred in what I describe as "The stupidest game effect EVER"! I've ran in circles through manaan more than once.
12. Crummy equipment. The equipment is just plain crap in the game. Largely because it's so short.
13. Useless sidequests. Unless you really need ls or ds points, quests are mostly useless. The exception being swoopraces which pay out in big amounts of cash.
14. A couple really stupid puzzles
15. occasionally there is a problem with a memory leak

Im sure I could think of more, but I'm tired. Anyway, even with all those problems it is a decent game good for at least two plays (one light, one dark). But you can tell they really stretched it with some filler that will be quite irritating the second time around.