Star Wars (EP 4-6): Blu-Ray?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I may not be with the times but have they FINALLY released remastered versions for the ORIGINAL trilogy where Han shoots first, etc.? Or am I dreaming? I thought these were due for release. No CGI BS.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Where did you hear that from? Fat shit Lucas refused to release the originals, and I haven't heard anything from Disney stating the contrary. If you have some new news, please share.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Where did you hear that from? Fat shit Lucas refused to release the originals, and I haven't heard anything from Disney stating the contrary. If you have some new news, please share.

This.

I'd love an un-touched remaster.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This was my hope when Disney bought the rights, but I haven't heard of anything happening. I know Lucas called the original masters were destroyed when they made the special edition.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I remember reading an article not too long ago about this, and I thought the premise was that rumor had it that they would be here at some point if not just for the fact that it would milk $$$.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I would think that if it was possible, Lucas would have already released them to get as much money as possible before selling. Unfortunately I really do believe that they're gone forever and we're not going to be seeing a re-release of the original trilogy.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I would think that if it was possible, Lucas would have already released them to get as much money as possible before selling. Unfortunately I really do believe that they're gone forever and we're not going to be seeing a re-release of the original trilogy.

This I would think.

If I'm wrong I would be happy to be corrected.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Except for Lucas it wasn't about the money, it was about the perfect film in his mind.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sadly the best we have is a fan remaster of the special-edition DVDs and Laserdisc versions, unconverted to 720p. It's pretty awesome though considering it's one guy doing everything.

Link deleted as it is illegal.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I think we'll see them again someday just to milk more money from the franchise.

I'd go with that. After they've squeezed every last penny out of the franchise and have run completely out of ideas on how to get kids to buy one more piece of crap toy the original versions will magically be found. They just have not gotten desperate enough to do it yet. It seems completely impossible for the original masters to be lost given how iconic the film became so quickly. There had to have been backups of backups of backups.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'd go with that. After they've squeezed every last penny out of the franchise and have run completely out of ideas on how to get kids to buy one more piece of crap toy the original versions will magically be found. They just have not gotten desperate enough to do it yet. It seems completely impossible for the original masters to be lost given how iconic the film became so quickly. There had to have been backups of backups of backups.

Arstechnica did a good article on it.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...us-the-remastered-unedited-star-wars-we-want/

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I may not be with the times but have they FINALLY released remastered versions for the ORIGINAL trilogy where Han shoots first, etc.? Or am I dreaming? I thought these were due for release. No CGI BS.

When most people say "remastered" they mean the version where Han shoots after. "Original" is where Han shoots first. Granted, we all want an HD transfer of the original for HD/BD with restoration done where necessary and a remastered audio track. "Remastered original version?"

Wasn't it released in the theatrical box set (DVD not blu ray)?

They were bonus discs exclusive to a particular retailer, IIRC (Walmart?). Also, they were Laserdisc-sourced, so... not exactly DVD quality and certainly not HD. Also, you can't get those new anymore so you might as well just get the old Laserdiscs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This was my hope when Disney bought the rights, but I haven't heard of anything happening. I know Lucas called the original masters were destroyed when they made the special edition.

IIRC, the real reason behind his not releasing them is an IP and $$$$ settlement issue between he and his X-Wife; and this isn't any kind of conspiracy--she does, in fact, own some percentage of the value of the original Star Wars franchise and so whatever percentage of profit of any new release of those will go back to her.

To what extent the supposed "destroyed originals" story and the explanation that his constant tinkering is merely a ploy to profit off of material that is different enough from the original to exclude her from any $$$ can probably only ever be speculation, but it sounds legit enough, imo.

All of that being said, I think it is 99.98% unlikely that any copy of the original 35 or 70mm print (I seem to recall the original SW having some amount of a 70mm print, no?) was every destroyed in any kind of restoration. ...unless he stupidly converted everything to 1080P and directly burned the prints, forever condemning the only source of this material to shitty 1080, as he did with filming the shitty prequels.

Now, the original prints were in very, very bad shape. I just don't think Fox would have allowed those to so easily be destroyed without a proper, and very careful restoration.

Anyway: They will almost certainly be released upon his X-wife's death or expiry of whatever statue of limitations applies.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
IIRC, the real reason behind his not releasing them is an IP and $$$$ settlement issue between he and his X-Wife; and this isn't any kind of conspiracy--she does, in fact, own some percentage of the value of the original Star Wars franchise and so whatever percentage of profit of any new release of those will go back to her.

To what extent the supposed "destroyed originals" story and the explanation that his constant tinkering is merely a ploy to profit off of material that is different enough from the original to exclude her from any $$$ can probably only ever be speculation, but it sounds legit enough, imo.

All of that being said, I think it is 99.98% unlikely that any copy of the original 35 or 70mm print (I seem to recall the original SW having some amount of a 70mm print, no?) was every destroyed in any kind of restoration. ...unless he stupidly converted everything to 1080P and directly burned the prints, forever condemning the only source of this material to shitty 1080, as he did with filming the shitty prequels.

Now, the original prints were in very, very bad shape. I just don't think Fox would have allowed those to so easily be destroyed without a proper, and very careful restoration.

Anyway: They will almost certainly be released upon his X-wife's death or expiry of whatever statue of limitations applies.

Just remember, NASA taped over the original footage from Apollo 11. Never underestimate human incompetence.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I remember reading an article not too long ago about this, and I thought the premise was that rumor had it that they would be here at some point if not just for the fact that it would milk $$$.

Yes, I remember also reading that there would be a blu-ray release for the remastered original theatrical releases and I thought it was due in fall of 2015. You would think that if the rumor had merit, they would've made it out already to coincide with the release of the new movies and the holiday season.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I bought the fudged Blu-Ray versions for my son for Xmas. He will forever think Han is a "good guy". Take that Star Wars snobs!

Oh calm down now.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I bought the fudged Blu-Ray versions for my son for Xmas. He will forever think Han is a "good guy". Take that Star Wars snobs!

Oh calm down now.

Unlike you, your son has already seen the original cut from a laserdisc rip.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005

You can forget about remasted originals. Disney does not own the rights. They won't get the rights to episode 5 for years. And they'll never have them to A New Hope. Fox owns 4 in perpetuity. I suppose a Disney/Fox collab is not impossible, but they may not possess the collective brain cells to calculate that 50% of a buck is more than 100% of nothing.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You can forget about remasted originals. Disney does not own the rights. They won't get the rights to episode 5 for years. And they'll never have them to A New Hope. Fox owns 4 in perpetuity. I suppose a Disney/Fox collab is not impossible, but they may not possess the collective brain cells to calculate that 50% of a buck is more than 100% of nothing.

Considering people would kill each other to pay $100 a set for the original trilogy on Blu-Ray, I don't think a Fox/Disney agreement is that much of an impossibility.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Sadly the best we have is a fan remaster of the special-edition DVDs and Laserdisc versions, unconverted to 720p. It's pretty awesome though considering it's one guy doing everything.

Link deleted as it is illegal.
admin allisolm

The DeSpecialized Editions floating around are more than upconverted low quality materials.

link deleted

If you want to discuss them, fine, but no links.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
They were bonus discs exclusive to a particular retailer, IIRC (Walmart?). Also, they were Laserdisc-sourced, so... not exactly DVD quality and certainly not HD. Also, you can't get those new anymore so you might as well just get the old Laserdiscs.

I have these and refuse to watch any others, even though it's garbage stereo and 480 (I think).

Eff you, Lucas. :mad: