Star Trek spoof The Orville (by Seth MacFarlane)

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I vastly prefer The Orville over Discovery. Show scratches the SciFi itch and delivers some laughs each episode.

REz97RY7DaBURbKkirdPB9-650-80.jpg

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I still think they're doing too much weird relationship stuff on The Orville. That's why the ratings are so low. I also think the first two episodes of this season were the weakest. Ja'loja was a piss pour poor episode, and the one after that was too preachy.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
"I loved Tuvok saying W.T.F."

huh?
bortis is played by Tuvok?!
w t f indeed!

Tim Russ who played Dr. Sherman in a cameo appearance also played Tuvok on Star Trek:Voyager.

Peter Macon plays Bortus.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Jonathan Frakes directs the next episode called "Sanctuary", and Marina Sirtis (Dianna Troy) will be making an appearance. Darn NCAA tournament has pushed this episode to April 11th.

So we've seen two ST Voyager cast members and one director: Robert Picardo and Tim Russ cast, and Robert Duncan McNeill directed 2 episodes.
One ST Enterprise cast member John Billingsly.
Will have ST TNG's Marina Sirtis cast, Jonathan Frakes has directed two episodes, Brannon Braga directed 4 episodes.
Jason Alexander from Seinfeld and ST Voyager.
Patrick Warburton from Seinfeld.

I almost forgot about Penny Johnson Jerald from ST Deep Space 9.

It kind of has the Star Trek Seinfeld thing going on. Just needs Larry David.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I still think they're doing too much weird relationship stuff on The Orville. That's why the ratings are so low. I also think the first two episodes of this season were the weakest. Ja'loja was a piss pour poor episode, and the one after that was too preachy.
The ratings are low because compared to Discovery -- Orville sucks!!

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've been watching it off and on. The episodes where there's been some sort of alien conflict haven't been bad. OK, not awful. Well, not really, really awful.

Sci-fi is like pizza for me. Even pretty shitty shows will get some level of interest. This doesn't really fall in that category though. The stories, since for the most part they have some parallel in one of the previous series, are decent as long as you don't mind that sort of thing.

And even some of the comedy didn't require that you be stoned.

It's the combo that was always awkward. I admit that there were times when they pulled it off - that the jokes worked with the story and had an amusing connection to it. But more often than not either things just weren't funny or they didn't cut it as standalone gags/bon mots.

I'll be a little sad to see the show go but I think I understand why will.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Jonathan Frakes directs the next episode called "Sanctuary", and Marina Sirtis (Dianna Troy) will be making an appearance. Darn NCAA tournament has pushed this episode to April 11th.

So we've seen two ST Voyager cast members and one director: Robert Picardo and Tim Russ cast, and Robert Duncan McNeill directed 2 episodes.
One ST Enterprise cast member John Billingsly.
Will have ST TNG's Marina Sirtis cast, Jonathan Frakes has directed two episodes, Brannon Braga directed 4 episodes.
Jason Alexander from Seinfeld and ST Voyager.
Patrick Warburton from Seinfeld.

I almost forgot about Penny Johnson Jerald from ST Deep Space 9.

It kind of has the Star Trek Seinfeld thing going on. Just needs Larry David.
what are these people's names on their series?
besides cmdr riker and counselor troy

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Jonathan Frakes (STNG, Commander William T. Riker - directed 2 episodes of The Orville).
Marina Sirtis (STNG, Counselor Dianna Troy).
Robert Picardo (ST Voyager, "The Holographic Doctor")
Tim Russ (ST Voyager, Lieutenant Commander Tuvok).
Robert Duncan McNeill (ST Voyager, Lieutenant Tom Paris - directed 2 episodes of The Orville).
John Billingsly (ST Enterprise, Dr. Phlox).
Penny Johnson Jerald (ST Deep Space 9, Cassidy Yates-Sisko, Benjamin Sisko's wife - Plays Dr. Claire Finn and cast regular).
Brannon Braga (ST TNG, ST Voyager, ST DSN, Producer, Director, Writer, - directed 4 episodes of The Orville).
Jason Alexander (Seinfeld's George Castanza, and ST Voyager as Kurros, Plays the Bartender on The Orville).
Patrick Warburton (Seinfeld's David Puddy, Played Security Officer Tharl on The Orville).

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Jason Alexander (Seinfeld's George Castanza, and ST Voyager as Kurros, Plays the Bartender on The Orville).
whats the point of hiring a famous and probably expensive actor if you cant recognize him?
Olix.png

and thx for the descriptions.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I thought the "wtf" regarding the phone text was pretty funny. And the smoking. Admittedly I find most of the humor falls flat though.

Reactions: Ken g6

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So what was the catastrophic event in the orville's universe that got the internet deleted so that they have no clue about our current time?
Did google just hit a point where they said screw this we can't keep up with storage and now we will be deleting the whole internet every couple of years?
One line of text and that episode would at least make a little sense.

Also the earth just almost got destroyed,ah never mind building up forces and searching for ways to protect our planet let's use our warships to transport time capsules full of useless stuff around outer space because 3d scanning,archiving and intergalactic internet wasn't invented in this universe,hey we can establish video calls with distant planets but don't ask us to do the same with data that would just be ridiculous.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
So what was the catastrophic event in the orville's universe that got the internet deleted so that they have no clue about our current time?
Did google just hit a point where they said screw this we can't keep up with storage and now we will be deleting the whole internet every couple of years?
One line of text and that episode would at least make a little sense.

Also the earth just almost got destroyed,ah never mind building up forces and searching for ways to protect our planet let's use our warships to transport time capsules full of useless stuff around outer space because 3d scanning,archiving and intergalactic internet wasn't invented in this universe,hey we can establish video calls with distant planets but don't ask us to do the same with data that would just be ridiculous.
All the servers and data storage were moved to the city of New Berlin which is located on the moon for safety, but were destroyed by the Krill attack of 2316.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
After 40 years of watch sci-fi on the "small" screen I feel that we are being short-changed (pun intended!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just watched last episode, loved it. You go into it thinking this idiot is going to get the hots for siri, and by the end you're feeling sorry for him.

And the one liners were very good. Sorry about my Dick Van ***, lol.

Reactions: DietDrThunder

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Guests:
F. Murray Abraham
Marina Sirtis
others

Did you know Klyden mate was on "The Wire"?

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
What part did Marina play? Edit: Wiki says the school teacher. huh. Didn't recognize her at all.
Anyway, I thought this last show was outstanding. The humor was very good and fit the message too.
This is a really good show.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Advanced alien's surveillance sweep...
look left, check!
look right, check!
fIYp6Dg.jpg

all clear, no bugs here...it's not like this is a military ship where everything is monitored or anything.

We are strong capable women and can defend ourselves...
PdPSgku.jpg

Ooops,never mind...if only there where some jung handsome space cadets to save our wee little lives.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Time travel episodes usually suck and this one was no exception. The ending?

However, Bortus and Clyden dancing was worth watching the whole show for.