Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the reality is they make more money not making a game then they would if they finished it. croberts just isnt good at game design. He was just there at the right time. The moment people play his horrible creation for real they will know and the gig will be up.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
the reality is they make more money not making a game then they would if they finished it. croberts just isnt good at game design. He was just there at the right time. The moment people play his horrible creation for real they will know and the gig will be up.

I'm telling you CRoberts would fit in perfectly at Valve's toxic culture. Both have created great games long agoyet now can't finish/publish any game they try to develop.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'm telling you CRoberts would fit in perfectly at Valve's toxic culture. Both have created great games long agoyet now can't finish/publish any game they try to develop.
what game was in active development that they never finished

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, valve is a private company that doesn't do crowdsourcing. They could kill every game they start and no one would be hurt, other than Gabe and the other owners

Reactions: TechBoyJK

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
good night star citizen...

I don't think this game will effect SC at all. Most (if not all) of the people that care have already put money in. At this point there's no out for them so of course they'll continue to support it. At best this will just delay the game for another few years as they attempt to figure out how to one up it.

Having said that, I can't believe you'd even think this could compete with SC.. I did not see one moment where they talked about being able to poop in space. That right there makes SC the clear winner. duh..

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Is that the SCUM module stretch goal? Star Citizen, now including urination and defecation in space!

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Yes, SC does have urination (not in game yet) but was shown in one of their shows a month or two ago.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
if we are on the subject of "more space sims that will be released before SC" then we can now add: X4 - Foundations

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if we are on the subject of "more space sims that will be released before SC" then we can now add: X4 - Foundations

LOL, after the absolutely botched x3 rebirth launch ill wait out the we finally fixed all the bugs edition in a few years after release.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
LOL, after the absolutely botched x3 rebirth launch ill wait out the we finally fixed all the bugs edition in a few years after release.

There was some cool immersive game play in x3. Some guy started the game flying thru space with only a spacesuit on.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There was some cool immersive game play in x3. Some guy started the game flying thru space with only a spacesuit on.

Oh it became an alright game, by version 2.5 and onward. They just released it about 1-2 years early. I have a very low opinion of devs that try and release an alpha and call it a final release.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh it became an alright game, by version 2.5 and onward. They just released it about 1-2 years early. I have a very low opinion of devs that try and release an alpha and call it a final release.

I do believe he was following up on your comment with a bit of snark. :D

Father Torque

Aug 7, 2011
Dr. Smart has become Squadron 42. He issued the E.LE. back in 2016. Every year has supposed of been the year it all falls apart,yet here we are with 2019 right around the corner and Star Citizen is still trucking along.

Every time he teases about some insider top secret info that will bring down CRoberts,it turns out be fluff.He just needs to away at this point.

As rubbish as Star Citizen is, id still rather buy a jpeg than be forced to play any of his games.

Icarus Roun

Sep 23, 2018
Hey everybody, so I briefly looked at star citizen one day because I was wanting to see what the next big MMOs were going to look like.

I saw about a dozen videos on star citizen but all I saw were literal, movie trailers and stuff like looked like movie trailers. But through all that time to the point where I just got bored and stopped looking at it, I never understood what this was.

I see that there are these miniature planets with bland empty landscapes that you are totally free to run around in. These, totally empty landscapes.... Good job, no one else has EVER done this before.

What I wanted to see was the kind of economy the game would have, the setting, the politics, the nuts and bolts that make the game what it is.

But to date, I dont know a single thing about this game other than it has planes, and vast empty spaces to gauck at.

Can anyone tell me? Like maybe an Eve Online parallel?