Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
No. Not really. Some were hiding the spending from their families. Buying jpegs became a sick release for some and others cheered them on.

Hopefully their wives/husbands will find out and divorce them and they will end up living on the street with no family and no game for their stupidity.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
fvqLgKj.png

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
now they want to make "aquatic vehicles" lmao.

"This week on Calling All Devs, we talk about atmospheric planes and aquatic vehicles, “weapon rest” character positions, and the Aaron Halo asteroid field."

like how much can these people be milked.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
now they want to make "aquatic vehicles" lmao.

"This week on Calling All Devs, we talk about atmospheric planes and aquatic vehicles, “weapon rest” character positions, and the Aaron Halo asteroid field."

like how much can these people be milked.

These vehicles are going to need at least 6 different sets of tires for all the different terrain and seasons on all the planets. I'm sure you have camber adjustment and all that and can part out all of the engine and suspension components for all your vehicles?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
These vehicles are going to need at least 6 different sets of tires for all the different terrain and seasons on all the planets. I'm sure you have camber adjustment and all that and can part out all of the engine and suspension components for all your vehicles?
StarCitizen The Fleeced & Furious: TauCeti Drift

Reactions: Ranulf

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

naw. They would rather make 6 different vehicles and sell them to you.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
The Expanse, season 3. the show is entirely not like that scene for the first 2 seasons though, still great.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Wow I've been a basic backer for 4 years now, this is honestly the first thing that's had me worried. Hope we make the history books at least when they run with all that cash.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
That had me worried. I figured it might fall short of expectations, or that they'd go all EA and charge for stupid stuff, but taking a hostile stance to previously paying customers isn't something I expected.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
That had me worried. I figured it might fall short of expectations, or that they'd go all EA and charge for stupid stuff, but taking a hostile stance to previously paying customers isn't something I expected.

I have the same concern. Although this isn't the first thing that concerned me. This is yet another sign that seems to point to the company not having enough money to finish the games. Broken promises, "warbond", refusing to refund, etc.

When you step back and look at the big picture, everything they've done appears to indicate they don't have enough money. Period. I don't think this is greed. This is need.

At least in my opinion.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Hey.. this isn't so bad. You get a "Imperator subscription" for a entire month with that! From what I've read, you'll be able to buy stuff at a discount and test fly any new ships they put out that month.. so when you think of it, you're really getting the ability to hear how awesome this year has been and will be while knowing you can fly any new ships... that come out during the month.. but hey.. those discounts!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Honestly, how tone deaf can Roberts and company be? I almost want this saga to go on forever, it is too damn hilarious.

Rebel Galaxy devs toss some salt in the wound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlDDZOGWvo

Well, he's apparently not deaf considering he listened to the outrage and changed the policy - his keynote presentation will now be streamed live to all backers for free.

While it's "nice" that he admitted he was wrong, his clarification letter scared the hell out of me. He said he thought it would be a good idea to "take a page out of Blizzard's book".

First off, from the start he told us CIG would be different and NOT be like those big evil companies like EA and Blizzard. Now......he's trying to emulate one of those big evil companies.

But honestly, I think it's ok to emulate a more successful company......if you have the accomplishments to give you the credibility to emulate those companies. Blizzcon is a massive convention packed full of rabid fans who've played many successful Blizzard games. Ok. That makes sense.

But for a company like CIG to go massive having a large conference with presentations on two stages and livestream digital passes.....it makes no sense. CIG has produced a tech demo and shown a video of a pre-alpha demo. That's all they've done. And they want to act like Blizzard? It's hubris.

Chris blamed himself, literally saying "and me, being me" I wanted to go big and be fiscally responsible by subsidizing the cost with digital pass sales. Being fiscally responsible means not gambling in the first place. He went big. He bet big. And he lost.

A little bit of humility and a lot of frugality would really help this company right now.

This project has been fascinating to follow.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Also the basic Blizzcon streams are free. If the basic stuff was free and the rest had been behind a $10 ticket the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as big.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have the same concern. Although this isn't the first thing that concerned me. This is yet another sign that seems to point to the company not having enough money to finish the games. Broken promises, "warbond", refusing to refund, etc.

When you step back and look at the big picture, everything they've done appears to indicate they don't have enough money. Period. I don't think this is greed. This is need.

At least in my opinion.

Well, it is greed. it's feature greed. It's an inability to finish a project properly. It's an inability to lead and to have an actual goal, with an actual plan to get there, and an ability to stay the course and direct the team towards that goal. Overlook what isn't working, stay in your budget, and refine only what is refinable. Perfection will always be the enemy of the good. Somewhere along that path, or maybe it was that way all alonw--I really don't know--this Chris Roberts fella became convinced that no concept or no minutia could ever be unnecessary. This dude long ago replaced in his skull the plan for making a game with the idea of a "way of being." This will never end.

These people had more than enough money to put out a great game. That is without question. Without question. This team had no leaders, and really no competence anywhere at that level.