Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I dunno, selling in game ships for a game about ships seems pretty normal to me and as of now 2023 many of at least the working ships can be bought with in game currency provided you grind for a while. I’m not totally convinced there is a perfect ship. They all are sort of purpose built and come with their own drawbacks.
Basically everything I’ve seen follows the choose one that you’re great at and choose one that you’re terrible at (or cannot do) and everything else is balance as in small fuel tank usually means smaller size, smaller size means less range.
Surprisingly there appears to be no Uber ship you must have.

Feb 4, 2009
It's because we all know they're awful. Plus they don't release new games, they just reskin the old ones.

Star Citizen comes from a development pipeline that, years ago, people were hoping would produce a legitimate title of quality. It quite clearly has failed to do so which is why so many of us still follow that train wreck with avid interest. Mobile crap is beyond hope.
Yeah and this is a very fair thing to say.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Chris is probably siting back sipping on some wine and smiling at Bethesda's attempt at a space game.

He literally has no competition, No Mans Sky is good not great, and Elite Dangerous is irrelevant.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Why? Starfield has likely already sold enough copies to put revenue above $600 million.
Err it's going for 70 on steam. You saying it has sold over 8 million copies already? SC2 sold about 6M copies over its lifetime for comparison.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Err it's going for 70 on steam. You saying it has sold over 8 million copies already? SC2 sold about 6M copies over its lifetime for comparison.
It's #1 seller on Steam. If it doesn't outsell Diablo 4 (which has already hit $700 million) I'll be surprised.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Chris is probably siting back sipping on some wine and smiling at Bethesda's attempt at a space game.

He literally has no competition, No Mans Sky is good not great, and Elite Dangerous is irrelevant.
Better buy another ship so he can afford that thousand dollar bottle of of wine to celebrate the game he will never release.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
It's #1 seller on Steam. If it doesn't outsell Diablo 4 (which has already hit $700 million) I'll be surprised.
I read 185 million total east instead sales as of this morning.
Better buy another ship so he can afford that thousand dollar bottle to of wine to celebrate the game he will never release.
hey I wonder what the head guy at Starfield is spending is billion plus on?

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012

I doubt it.

I mean, it's clear now that in its current incarnation Starfield doesn't do what Star Citizen is really trying to do. But Starfield will only get better, and I suspect it will get better faster than SC will. I could see more seamlessness getting added in the eventual expansions, and if that that, then some mods.

The length that the development of SC has gone on for has certainly weakened it. If Starfield becomes "good enough," will people still care? That's my thought process.

I also think reality has ran counter to that. They're still making money no matter what I guess. But I really hope that Starfield has SOME sort of impact on SC. I hope it lights a fire under them.

Also...why is Elite Dangerous irrelevant?
I read 185 million total east instead sales as of this morning.

hey I wonder what the head guy at Starfield is spending is billion plus on?

While the true answer is "nobody cares," the issue with Roberts is that he raised his money in a fund raising fashion. Nobody cares that a typical CEO who made money in the typical CEO way does CEO things. It's easier to find outrage with Roberts: "He's living the high life off of a promise he didn't keep!"

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Feb 4, 2009
I doubt it.

I mean, it's clear now that in its current incarnation Starfield doesn't do what Star Citizen is really trying to do. But Starfield will only get better, and I suspect it will get better faster than SC will. I could see more seamlessness getting added in the eventual expansions, and if that that, then some mods.

The length that the development of SC has gone on for has certainly weakened it. If Starfield becomes "good enough," will people still care? That's my thought process.

I also think reality has ran counter to that. They're still making money no matter what I guess. But I really hope that Starfield has SOME sort of impact on SC. I hope it lights a fire under them.

Also...why is Elite Dangerous irrelevant?

While the true answer is "nobody cares," the issue with Roberts is that he raised his money in a fund raising fashion. Nobody cares that a typical CEO who made money in the typical CEO way does CEO things. It's easier to find outrage with Roberts: "He's living the high life off of a promise he didn't keep!"
Sure

Feb 4, 2009
Well I’m still having fun there is lag, there are crashes and incomplete game loops.
Been mining & doing salvage missions with the intent to find drugs. I have nearly achieved Captain Sternn status. I just haven’t been caught yet and forced to bust rocks to pay for my crimes. Yes breaking rocks in prison is a thing that can happen to a high crime stat player in SC.
Skip to 2:50

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I've been up and down about this game over the years. I guess the fact that the dev time has gone on long enough for me to form a stance and then change it is something to be said unto itself.

But man, that trailer was some damn good work. I want to be excited for this. But I'm tempered by my past experiences.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been up and down about this game over the years. I guess the fact that the dev time has gone on long enough for me to form a stance and then change it is something to be said unto itself.

But man, that trailer was some damn good work. I want to be excited for this. But I'm tempered by my past experiences.
Join me provided you are okay with crashes, not constant crashes but they do happen and some lag plus not all game systems being fully fleshed out.
Overall I find enough stuff to do, game does require some free time just because of various travel times and such.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I still have only flown my fighters/explorers, not my Retalliator. I will at some point but keep wanting top wait for release, even if I miss out on stuff.

Feb 4, 2009
I still have only flown my fighters/explorers, not my Retalliator. I will at some point but keep wanting top wait for release, even if I miss out on stuff.
Yeah that’s my opinion, I’m not buying anything new but maybe a paint pack until there is a more fleshed out game. You can “melt” ships and try out new stuff but again I don’t want to bother. Dude I play with does it frequently and as long as you understand the “rules” of doing so it is a valid thing to fiddle with.
Edit:
You can buy ships with in game currency, so far I have lost one to a new version however that doesn’t happen often. Just be aware *some* new versions will require a wipe & fresh start but not all require that.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You can “melt” ships
Don't do this unless you understand and are fine with all consequences.

Once you melt a ship, you can no longer "gift" it (sell it) if you buy it back with Store Credits (or if you buy another ship with those Store Credits). The only way out is to buy a small ship with new cash and apply upgrades to that ship using Store Credits. So you have to dump more money into this bottomless pit.

Feb 4, 2009
this game is so woke! what's up with all these races and genders in my space game??!!!!!
Funny I thought it was odd in the modern sense that when there’s a patch you have to remake your toon and there are two choices Male or Female.
I guess that’s changing in the future. I avoid citizen con videos because I don’t want to be disappointed.
BTW, want to run drugs with me?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski