Staples Pacific Digital 16x Dual Layer Int DVD±RW $69.94AR

time4cash

Aug 7, 2001
Couldn't find this listed anywhere...
Sorry if it's a dupe

Staples has this on sale this week. $6.9.94 = 99.94-$30 rebate
Get it for less if you still have your $15 / $75 coupon.

DVD+/-R DVD+/-RW DVD+R9 CD-R CD-RW CD-ROM DVD-ROM
16X/8X 8X/4X 2.4X 48x 24x 48x 16x

Is it a rebadge NEC/Liteon/etc???
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

T4C

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Not sure what it is, but I was going to mention that - these guys commonly rebadge NEC/LiteOn drives. We carry Pacific Digital at OfficeMax (The Job O Som) and I'd say probably a good 60% of the drives turn out to be rebadged good stuff.

If you take an interest, just ask the associate if you can open the package and look at the drive. Check the model number for the win.

Chang10is

Jun 19, 2002
What kind of serial numbers do the BenQ drives have? I took a look at some Pacific Digital drives, and I found two different batches. Neither of them have firmware revision numbers on the boxes, but they all have serial numbers. One group had s/n's with 8 numeric digits, and other group had serial numbers with around 12 digits, mostly numbers with a couple of letters in the middle.

time4cash

Aug 7, 2001
YES, how to decipher the SN on the boxes??
What would be the order of preference b/w Benq, LiteOn, and NEC

Thanks

Chang10is

Jun 19, 2002
Anybody who has gotten a BenQ, Lite-On, or NEC drive (regardless of whether it was rebadged as a Pacific Digital, I/O Magic drive, etc.), could you please post up the info on your drive that would help us figure out how to decipher who made what? E.g., first 3 digits of your serial number, the number of digits that are in the s/n, whether there are any letters, what the part number is, etc.

I can say right now that if the serial number begins with a P, then the drive was made by BTC.

madalien

Oct 12, 1999
I just got one of the Pacific Digital 16x DVD Recoders at Staples using a $20 coupon. it is a BenQ. There is a paper label stuck over another on the back. At the bottom of this label is this: "Label Part#: 1852-16-BQ-3". End label reads PN: U-30265. Hopethis helps some body.

bigballer

Mar 12, 2001
One more thing, madalien. What does the Serial # look like? 13 digits with letters? 9 digits only? These are the two types of serial numbers I've seen on these boxes. Thanks.

pxc

Platinum Member
May 2, 2002
My staples only has a few benq drives. I need a black faceplate anyways.

Oh well, i can get a retail NEC3500A for $71 with free shipping at dell after 20% off storage coupon and I have a $75 concession coupon.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: time4cash
YES, how to decipher the SN on the boxes??
What would be the order of preference b/w Benq, LiteOn, and NEC

Thanks

I'd take NEC, then LiteOn, then BenQ.

Overall drive ratings are probably like this:

madalien

Oct 12, 1999
Bigballer, The serial number contains nine numbers - mine is with 143XXXXXX. I may return this as well as I really want a black faceplate, but the BenQ seems to begetting some pretty good reviews. For ~$50 plus tax and a safe Staples rebate, not a bad deal.

BoGMan1a

Oct 30, 2004
Actually, it is generally thought that the BenQ and the NEC are fairly neck and neck in write quality and along with Pioneer drives are regarded as the top choices in DVD burners. The Lite-on and Sony drives are actually clones, SOHW in the Lite-on model numbers stand for SOny HardWare or something to that extent.

EDIT - I probably should clarify that Lite-on is the actual manufacturer of the drives for both companies but the model is identified as SOHW.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Chang10is
What kind of serial numbers do the BenQ drives have? I took a look at some Pacific Digital drives, and I found two different batches. Neither of them have firmware revision numbers on the boxes, but they all have serial numbers. One group had s/n's with 8 numeric digits, and other group had serial numbers with around 12 digits, mostly numbers with a couple of letters in the middle.

all numerals most likely Liteon(encountered 4 PD boxes this morning..was polite to the manager and..) 123123AAA123 type of s/n ..:D BenQ DW1620

bigballer

Mar 12, 2001
Hmmm... I got one with a serial number containing all numerals (9 didgits) and it's a BenQ 1620 (August 2004). Serial number is 143505824.

the Juice

Dec 21, 2004
Sony is crap. They have really lowered their standards of quality. Unless you have a big coupon just go to Newegg. I have installed the Aopen and Samsung 16x in many computers and they are really nice so far. Of course NEC is always a favorite but I just had one die and I RMA'd it.

time4cash

Aug 7, 2001
Help!
Got at BENQ one also...
trouble in paradise ..... light on drive stays on and doesn't go off as long as there is a CD in the drive ; digital CD audio gives continuous high pitched sound; this is the 2nd BENQ from staples tha has done this.
My old Lite-on RW 52-24-52 had no problems; and when I swap it back it's OK.
Any one else having problems with BENQ drives??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
I do not think the BenQ works kprobe..this is a liteon utility

BenQ probably has the best dvd+r burning abilities, a little less on good -r media...I would BenQ slightly better then NEC...Liteon is ok but after making the 811s that was just OK I am staying away from their dvdrw(I loved their cdrw)