Staples: 200GB PATA $19.95 AR (~$70 OTD) ** DEAD, COUPON EXPIRED PAST 11/24 **

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm... I enter the coupon code and receive this error. :(

"Coupon code
Coupon not available at this time."

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: coloumb
Hmm... I enter the coupon code and receive this error. :(

"Coupon code
Coupon not available at this time."

Well it's 11/25 now, and the rebate is only good for 11/24.
If you haven't gotten in on this deal, it's too late, sorry bud :(

iman00b

Dec 1, 2003
If i bought the drive during the sale in store and the SKU doesnt match the one on the rebate would it still be ok?

ziplux

Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: kama
anyone else have trouble with this drive? the one I bought installed to be only 80gig, and the lable on the HD itself says 80GB * PATA and the labels on the box says DiamondMax 21 but the HD says DiamondMax 20. anyone else has this problem or am I not installing it right?

I had the same exact problem. The serial number printed on the drive matches the one printed on the box, but the model type does not (20 vs 21 just like you). I'm planning to send the drives back to Maxtor.

Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect many of the boxes were affected by this.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ziplux
Originally posted by: kama
anyone else have trouble with this drive? the one I bought installed to be only 80gig, and the lable on the HD itself says 80GB * PATA and the labels on the box says DiamondMax 21 but the HD says DiamondMax 20. anyone else has this problem or am I not installing it right?

I had the same exact problem. The serial number printed on the drive matches the one printed on the box, but the model type does not (20 vs 21 just like you). I'm planning to send the drives back to Maxtor.

Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect many of the boxes were affected by this.

Seagate miss printed their 400GB Sata boxes and oem drives.

iman00b

Dec 1, 2003
Could you guys check where the drives were made in? Is the box red with 1 inch white bands around the edges?

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
These new DiamondMaxs are made by Seagate. The DiamonMax 21 uses perpendicular recording while the 20 does not.

ParatoOptimal

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2004
I tried ordering online before midnight and after midnight last night.
I got the message that the coupon had expired even though the coupon code was STILL on the product's page.
In their hardcopy flyer, the deal was stated as ending at 12 noon yesterday.

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
I got mine today, and it is a DM 21, made in China. It even says 7200.10 at the bottom.

cutty

Oct 30, 2001
How come you all get Seagate?
What I got is a Maxtor Basics. :(
Should it be Maxtor Ultra??? What's the difference?
It's ATA100, 7200rpm, average seek time less than 10ms.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
I got two of the old ATA133 ones, 1 year warranty.

I also got one of the new ATA100 ones, 3 year warranty.

I won't be opening them up to see what lies inside, they are going to eBay.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Originally posted by: cutty
How come you all get Seagate?
What I got is a Maxtor Basics. :(
Should it be Maxtor Ultra??? What's the difference?
It's ATA100, 7200rpm, average seek time less than 10ms.
If you received the Maxtor Basics you have the new one, (which should be a new Seagate drive in it) with a three year warranty. You did good.

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
Weird, my easy rebate doesnt work says order number blah blah is incorrect but it is correct. Will have to call staples and as what the problem is I guess. Can still file for it manually I suppose.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Thanks to all of you for the information. I didn't realize when I bought this that the drive was a Seagate (I knew they acquired Maxtor, but didn't know they were putting out the drives for them yet.) Also didn't know about the 20 and 21 difference. I got a 21 in the new box, so I'm even happier than I was just getting the drive cheap. Thanks again.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
Originally posted by: allisolm
... I didn't realize when I bought this that the drive was a Seagate (I knew they acquired Maxtor, but didn't know they were putting out the drives for them yet.) ...

Yeah, this turned out to be a rather more intesting buy then I thought.

One wonders why, if they are going to the expense of changing the package and the drives, they didn't just drop the Maxtor name, and have them all be named Seagates. There have been a couple of other HD brand names that disappeared once they were bought out. Is there going to be a difference between Seagates and Maxtors?

Maybe its appropriate to reflect on some computer history (or mabe not?)

The Maxtor (MaXstore?) name goes back possibly before consumer priced HDs, if I recall correctly. They had a terrible time competing in the early consumer computer era, but eventually turned that around to become one of the majors.

The Seagate brand goes back to the early days of cheap consumer HDs, when Mr. Shugart, after originating the consumer floppy drive (8 inches back then), started up a HD company, and for years had the rock-bottom priced HD almost to himself. Cheap would have been something like 20 megabytes (yes mega not giga) for $200 back then. I doubt if anyone forsaw 200 gigabytes for $20. The IDE interface was many years into the future, but interestingly was devised by Western Digital, a chip company that had been making the "standard" HD controller, but not HDs, when the SCSI interface they initially selected for IDE turned out to have proprietary info that the HD establishment would not let them see or use. (Years before, WD created a sensation with the first floppy controller-on-a-chip, which made the first consumer floppy drives viable, which in turn made the first consumer-priced computers useful.)

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
While we're talking history:
Maxtor acquired Quantum, a leader in consumer storage as well as enterprise (SCSI HDD's and tape drives) storage. I was sad about that merger because I have been a huge fan of Quantum drives. The Fireball Plus LM series was SO awesome.. basically a SCSI drive in an IDE shell. Loud, but (at the time) very fast and durable. I still have one, and it's used daily.

I am not happy that Maxtor was acquired. The choices are forever shrinking. Hitachi, Seagate, WD and Samsung are the only major players left it seems.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
You're right about the dwindling number of HD mfgs. There is Toshiba and Fujitsu but Toshiba doesn't make 3.5" drives. Just 2.5, 1.8 and the 0.85" drives. Toshiba HDs
Fujitsu also is just into laptop drives and SCSI drives. Fujitsu HDs. No 3.5" HDs as of recently. Although Fujitsu is making perpendicular recording, SATA laptop drives.
That does just leave the four companies that hansmuff mentioned.

ParatoOptimal

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2004
So, where's the next great HD deal to rival this one?

Pappa needs a brand new bag to store his music.