Stalker won't start

yzedsled

Jan 28, 2008
I got this game with my mobo, installed it, updated to 1.04. Tried to start it, the small splash comes up, then nothing. It doesn't even show up as running in the task manager. I patched to 1.05 with the same result. I've read about this problem on other forums, but didn't run across a solution. Any tips to starting this thing would be great!

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
What kind of splash? Do you see a THQ intro? Try opening the exe file rather than shortcut(?)

By the way, I see you have Asus mobo and e8400 - did it recognize the processor at the first boot? (The question has nothing to do with the game)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Its been awhile, but as I recall Stalker doesn't get along well with programs like AnyDVD and similar emulation software ... if you have any installed on your system try running with it disabled & see if it helps.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I just had a similar problem with several of my games. It ended up being due to a program/driver called "Host Open AL" or something like that (it said "Host" in the name and was separate from '"Open AL"). Once I uninstalled that my games started working. It all seemed to be tied to my Creative sound card.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: yzedsled
I got this game with my mobo, installed it, updated to 1.04. Tried to start it, the small splash comes up, then nothing. It doesn't even show up as running in the task manager. I patched to 1.05 with the same result. I've read about this problem on other forums, but didn't run across a solution. Any tips to starting this thing would be great!

Have you tried running game "as admin" and " XP SP2 compatibility" mode?....right click on exe file of Stalker select properties,go to compatibility tab and you'll find it in there.

I played Stalker from start to end on my Vista x64 with Audigy 4 sound card,it was pretty stable even then with an older patch.

yzedsled

Jan 28, 2008
Thanks for the replies, it turned out to be my soundcard driver. I updated it and it starts now!