Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
specs:
Phenom 2 965
MSI G65
6 gigs ddr3 ram
GTX 280 oc edition
900 watt Tagan
Windows 7 x64 home premium (legit from newegg.com)
All latest drivers and using latest WHQL Nvidia drivers.

So i recently built this new rig, i just installed W7 full format not 1 week ago.
Got Stalker COP (legit btw). Install went fine. I clicked on game and nothing.
So i went to BIN folder and clicked on Xrengine.exe.....nothing
OhK.... i tried Run as Admin, then tried Compatability with both XP and Vista........nothing

So at this point i'm ready to grab a pair of pliers and rip the fillings out of my teeth.:twisted:
I then tried to uninstall, rebooted and reinstalled. I then defragged and CCleaner.......nothing.

I noticed that in taskmanager, Xrengine.exe is running. At this point i'm feeling insanity click in and i feel :eek:

So i drink a couple four beers (lightweight here) and :awe:
i'm inspired to download the crack. ():)
Click on cracked .exe and...........................nothing:'(

Now i could mail it back assuming i kept my reciept and package it came in plus the fact it sat on my desk since release day but its likely another copy would do the same. I don't think there has been any U.S. patches yet.

So if anyone has any suggestions before i beat something or someone, i'd much appreciate it :awe:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I have 64 bit windows 7 and it runs just fine for me. My computer is basically the same as yours, except that I am running an i7 on an asus board.

Maybe try reinstalling?

Good luck. Sounds frustrating.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Did you try the new nvidias? They just came out 2 days ago (196.75)

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
^lol yeah, sounds serious issue too. Stalker would be the last of my problems then lol.

I did one more reinstall of the game. Launched directly from CD and same issue. The engine is running in task manager but nothing on screen.

Mar 10, 2005
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Fraps

Version history:
3.1.2 - 4th Mar 2010
- Fixed STALKER: Call of Pripyat not loading with Fraps running
- Fixed slow recording speeds for some users in Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Fixed Guild Wars crashing when moving between zones
- Fixed videos being recorded at double width on some nvidia configurations
- Fixed colors being inverted in video captured from some DX10 games
- Fixed multiple FRAPS32.DLL crashes

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Close anything that has an on-screen overlay (fraps, xfire, etc). CoP won't launch with those open for some reason.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I don't know how Win 7 handles DirectX (despite using it right now to type this...), but Win XP use to do this occasionally (not starting games) if DirectX wasn't installed/updated properly. Just a thought.

I have an i5 750 and a 5770, it runs great but I have the Steam version.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Had you googled, you would have found this issue on the steam forums.

In case anyone else has problems, diable the ingame steam community.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Had you googled, you would have found this issue on the steam forums.

In case anyone else has problems, diable the ingame steam community.

i dont use steam, its a retail CD. nor did i come across it when i googled. Google soley depends on what key words you use, not all of us can happen across the website with the answer. thats when forums come in handy.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
^lol, well really, who wants to sit there googling key words and clicking on websites, part of which refer you to irrelevant drivel, Adversites or theres always a torrent or crack site listed, a few russian sites maybe, youtube sites but mostly forums where you spend hours reading post after post? Mostly since i don't use Steam, thats the last place i'd think to find a solution.
lol, i mean i'll google a bit, but i'd rather post a question and do something i like doing while i wait for a hopeful solution.

still though, respect all the suggestions and help, i'm really lovin this game.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
-I also found that my second GTX285 only ran @60&#37; in SLI until I set in the ICON prop.
under the Compatibility Tab ,the Disable desktop composition check box , both cards ran at 100% and same temp after that.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
what does disable desktop composition do exactly? besides help run SLI better of course.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Geez. Now I can't get in this game. I read this last week going "poor guy, built a new system can't play a game he's been waiting for - hate that." Well low and behold, I just finished my new build i7 920, x58 mobo, 6 gigs DDR3, ATI 5850, newest Catalyst drivers w/ Windows 7 and I'm freezing right at the beginning of choosing Novice/stalker, etc. I choose it and I lock up indefinitely.... Dang it.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
The engine itself has always been buggy. Why different things affects some and not others in all the various PC games out there, is something i never could understand. This is the one nice thing about console games, they work no matter what unless the disc is damaged or console is damaged.

i'm guessing drivers and 3rd party apps are the #1 cause. DRM is probably #2. Might try disabling all your running applications and services, its something i should have done from the beginning but now i know to try for next time.