Stalker 2

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I loved others too, hopefully this is going to come out and not get canceled.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
certainly not going to play it on some hyped up console, that's for sure
It's coming to PC, too.

I mean, part of what made the original trilogy so tense was the threat of the game crashing at the worst possible time...
I think I had 1-2 crashes tops for each game during their respective playthroughs. Also Stalker CS is completely stable with DX10 on Windows 10 where it would consistently crash on Windows 7. This is good because DX10 runs faster and looks better than DX9 in that game.

Same thing as Gamebryo games. Everyone says they have constant crashes, but they're always stable for me. I think it's a combination of mods and overclocking, which I don't do.

But your comment highlights an interesting point: because it's coming to a console, it should have more QC and testing than the original PC versions, so it should have less bugs overall. Especially since the consoles are all basically PCs now.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
At 1:12 in the trailer, that's the first town we start in, in Shadow of Chernobyl. There's no doubt about it. But it seems to be older. I bet we start there once more in the second game. If not, we revisit it for sure. Maybe the original bunker we come out of is still there; we'll see.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
At 1:12 in the trailer, that's the first town we start in, in Shadow of Chernobyl. There's no doubt about it. But it seems to be older. I bet we start there once more in the second game. If not, we revisit it for sure. Maybe the original bunker we come out of is still there; we'll see.

They said old locations will also be included in the game and the story may take place after Pripyat, it would be interesting to know which ending they go with as cannon. I had a bit of a nostalgic feeling when I saw the starting location,

I hope they remake the town of pripyat. It was one of the creepiest places in the entire series, and in real life is still abandoned today. Also noticed one of the new locations is the Duga radar tower, great idea for a location.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Never played the Stalker games, but I have Call of Pripyat in my library. My understanding is that the game is very open, more like Fallout 3 without the RPG elements.

Played Metro 2033 and the game just wasn't working for me. Felt a bit too on rails. I enjoy commitment to a story in a game, but Metro just felt like I could push the forward key and click the mouse button a few times and the game was just scripted events with a slight bit of FPS inbetween.

Wonder where Stalker 2 is going to fall on this spectrum (also am I right in my assessment of the prior games?

STALKER 2 doesn't look very next gen though, wonder where all the incredible lighting effects this gen promised are?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Never played the Stalker games, but I have Call of Pripyat in my library. My understanding is that the game is very open, more like Fallout 3 without the RPG elements.

Played Metro 2033 and the game just wasn't working for me. Felt a bit too on rails. I enjoy commitment to a story in a game, but Metro just felt like I could push the forward key and click the mouse button a few times and the game was just scripted events with a slight bit of FPS inbetween.

Wonder where Stalker 2 is going to fall on this spectrum (also am I right in my assessment of the prior games?

STALKER 2 doesn't look very next gen though, wonder where all the incredible lighting effects this gen promised are?

Call of Pripyat is by far the most polished of the three games and not nearly as buggy as the other two. It has three big maps of which you will spend at least 70% in the first two, its not linear which is nice, but does have some good scripted moments near the end. Personally I enjoyed Pripyat the most with its custom weapon variants/modifications, and overall polished feel compared to the others. This is a squeal to Chernobyl however it doesn't require you to have knowledge of prior games.

Highly recommend Atmosfear 3, and Absolute Nature 4 mods for COP to bring it up to date while keeping the original artistic vision in tact.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Call of Pripyat is by far the most polished of the three games and not nearly as buggy as the other two. It has three big maps of which you will spend at least 70% in the first two, its not linear which is nice, but does have some good scripted moments near the end. Personally I enjoyed Pripyat the most with its custom weapon variants/modifications, and overall polished feel compared to the others. This is a squeal to Chernobyl however it doesn't require you to have knowledge of prior games.

Highly recommend Atmosfear 3, and Absolute Nature 4 mods for COP to bring it up to date while keeping the original artistic vision in tact.

- Good info but a bit of a facepalm on my part: I actually have Shadow of Chernobyl, not Pripyat or Clear Sky.

I've heard it can be a brutally difficult game, and it's long, neither aspect of which are my jam at the moment, but I'll get around to it some day.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've heard it can be a brutally difficult game, and it's long, neither aspect of which are my jam at the moment, but I'll get around to it some day.
Call of Pripyat is the easiest of the three. You start off with reasonable gear and every zone has a safe base at close distance.

Clear Sky is the hardest by far. The game's start in particular is really brutal with bleeding damage from combat. It does have the most powerful artifacts, though.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Clear Sky is also the buggiest by far. Make frequent backup saves. There's also a plethora of great mods out there for all the games.

Also, aside from Bannerlord, this is probably my most anticipated game of all time. Now I must leave this topic forever so I don't build up so much hype that the actual product can never attain.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
First one still my favorite, despite some of the rough edges. Brain Scorcher will haunt me forever.

The moment you reach the plant as well. Oozes atmosphere.

Clear Sky is also the buggiest by far. Make frequent backup saves. There's also a plethora of great mods out there for all the games.

Also, aside from Bannerlord, this is probably my most anticipated game of all time. Now I must leave this topic forever so I don't build up so much hype that the actual product can never attain.

It will be interesting to see how moving to the unreal engine will affect mods. They are saying mods will be supported day one of release.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh yeah I remember now why I never got into STALKER.
Too many bugs. At least there were on initial release. I suppose some of them have been fixed by now.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i bought clear sky on release, made it past the first area, and my game got completely corrupted; started again, got past the first area, bam, game corrupted. none of the saves would work. even if i stayed in the first area, the save would load, and after 2 minutes it would CTD.
1st patch - saves no longer work - restart for the 3rd time. get to the third area, save corrupted.
2nd patch - saves no longer work - restart for the 4th time, everything fine except otehr game breaking bugs - event triggers fail, NPCs are not loaded, etc.

eventually i played it with the Complete mod, and liked it a lot.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I suggest the following viewing material for anyone slightly interested in the franchise. Great documentary on the trial and tribulations of its development and possible future, which now is confirmed happening with STALKER 2.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Oh yeah I remember now why I never got into STALKER.
Too many bugs. At least there were on initial release. I suppose some of them have been fixed by now.
You uhhh, you better keep your expectations pretty low so you're not disappointed if you play it again.

The games have a lot of fan patches that fix most of the more glaring issues, but it's still a giant buggy mess for some quests, especially the "someone died here, go get their stuff" quests in Clear Sky.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Some in-game teaser footage released. Its speculated for a 2021 release, but that would be a brisk pace for GSC considering their track record.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not sure it can be a 'real' STALKER game without the buggy proprietary engine but will certainly play it.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Yeah that's true haha, but if it means they can spend more time on the game instead of engine development then so be it.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
everybody MUST watch this STALKER video, thank me later. (spoilers obvisouly)

Last edited: