Question Stablebit Scanner, my server and warnings about a 3.5 and 2.5" hard drive

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My Win 2012 R2 server has four 3TB HDDs in a Stablebit drive pool. The boot disk is a Crucial 250GB SSD. Another Crucial SSD -- same size -- is used with PrimoCache server edition to cache the drive pool's physical components.

Three of the 3.5" HDDs are Hitachi -- I forgot which model. I don't buy high-end enterprise disks. My hardware only needs to work with the OS, the controller card, and Stablebit.

The fourth drive, probably replaced for a bad Hitachi a couple or three years ago, is a Seagate ST3000******* 3TB drive, and I have a hot-swap 2.5" Seagate which backs up the most essential files of the server -- in addition to the OS, the "serious" computer files of my practical life. I use Syncback SE to schedule and do these server backups, rather than the Win 2012 R2 backup feature. All works just fine.

Stablebit scanner, for as long as I remember or when it reached some specified count, reports that the Seagate drives show no signs of failure or malfunction, but that the heads have parked too many times beyond some limit, suggesting this may be a matter of a firmware setting -- possibly something that can be changed.

But no problem with these drives. Does anyone have an idea as to what I might do about the warning? Some way to change a setting so the the drive behavior doesn't include so much head-parking?

Thanks.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Those early seagates were the first 1TB/platter drives and suffered head problems in addition to an overly agressive head parking firmware.
Check that seagate has a firmware update for your particular S/N. They released one to address the headparking issue on many of them.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Those early seagates were the first 1TB/platter drives and suffered head problems in addition to an overly agressive head parking firmware.
Check that seagate has a firmware update for your particular S/N. They released one to address the headparking issue on many of them.
I can do that -- it's just another chore to add to my busy summer. Truth is, after I began noticing the stablebit warning, I ordered a spare Hitachi to keep as a spare in event the Seagate went south. But the firmware upgrade, if I can find it, is the first path for correction.

As for the 2.5 backup drive, i could really use one with a 4 TB capacity, and I had one -- another Seagate -- which died. I DO have spare 2.5 drives in my parts locker in the event the current one fails, but they're likely smaller.

But I appreciate the "intel" on this. It confirms something I'd read about it before. In the meantime, the disks just take a licking and keep on ticking . . . . Probably the biggest hassle will be locating the serial numbers or precise model codes. Maybe Windows will tell me, but I guess I'll find out.