Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
Hi all,
I have 2 JEYI I9-GTK enclosures. Just updated 1.27.24 firmware shared by @windowsjia above.
My problem now is that when I have both enclosures connected, windows will combine both disk under one "Safe eject" menu. I cannot eject any of them individually.
Have tried different serial number, different product name, etc but not helpful. I not sure what is the situation before update since I just got them.
Any insight information?

View attachment 53242
Have you try changing the serial number on one of them? Or maybe the product id.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
Hello, I am French forgive me my English,
I have problems with my realtek RTL9210B hdd case, disconnect etc (firmware 1.23.5).
I would like to update it to 1.27.24, what are the parameters that I must use in the RTL9210B_CG_Lite? ?

Here is my dump:

Code:
Device : [Port3] : CT500P5S SD8 #0
I would copy the settings in the dump.

ehussam

Nov 28, 2021
I would copy the settings in the dump.

the cfg file differs than the dump, but im guessing we should match it to the dump, as much as possible.

my orico m2pv-c3 (rtl9210) isn't being detected on my b450 tomahawk max usb3.2 port, but works properly on 3.1, and im really scared to update to firmware 1.27, i dont want to brick it, my firmware is 1.24.

do you think updating the firmware might solve this problem? or is it not worth bricking the enclosure, as it works on slower usb 3 ports

LuckMan212

Jan 21, 2005
I just got a Sabrent EC-SNVE enclosure, came with an older firmware, so I updated to 1.25.7. I see people mentioning newer firmwares in this thread, such as 1.27.24. Are those any good to use?

magnets110

Aug 8, 2021
Revision A supports NVME, B supports SATA + NVME.
This website claims 1.27.24 fixes an unsafe shutdown count bug (but not for win7).
The problem of hibernation and death was fixed before the 1.23.15 firmware, and the current 1.27.24 version of the firmware has fixed the bug that the number of unsafe shutdowns increased abnormally.

This site shows JEYI staff claiming the unsafe shutdown is reduced not fixed

This post claims 1.26.7 cause drops

is 1.27.24 stable?

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021
I have again issues with a RTL9210 enclosure (1.25.7).......
This time, the enclosure is recognized, I can even put another ssd in it and it works, but the nvme ssd that crashed is now corrupted and unrecognized. I just want to format it but I can't. Any suggestion?

Last edited:

ehussam

Nov 28, 2021
I have again issues with a RTL9210 enclosure (1.25.7).......
This time, the enclosure is recognized, I can even put another ssd in it and it works, but the nvme ssd that crashed is now corrupted and unrecognized. I just want to format it but I can't. Any suggestion?

Connect it directly to a motherboard, and you can access the files or format it, or after connecting via usb run partition disk management from windows, look for the drive, assign it a drive letter incase it wasnt assigned automatically, this will make you access the files or format it.

My experience, i can access the enclosure on usb 3.1, but not 3.2, i narrowed the problem to a bios update i did earlier, it created this problem on my b450 tomahaw max.

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021
OK thanks. I will try to plug it directly to a motherboard asap, but I don't have the possibility to do it currently. What makes me doubtfull on the sanity of the disk is the absence of recognized volume (no disk size, only the USB enclosure), so that I cannot assign a drive letter.

ehussam

Nov 28, 2021
OK thanks. I will try to plug it directly to a motherboard asap, but I don't have the possibility to do it currently. What makes me doubtfull on the sanity of the disk is the absence of recognized volume (no disk size, only the USB enclosure), so that I cannot assign a drive letter.

Use a different usb port and if you have a hub try to use it, mix and match.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah... USB C 3.2 seems to be a pretty flaky interface on my PC. Just the slightest movement of the cable can cause a temporary disconnect of my external Crucial SSD, and I'm using a higher quality cable as well.

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021
Use a different usb port and if you have a hub try to use it, mix and match.

No way to recover the SSD through USB for me (on any computer, any OS). I finally managed to do it by freeing my only M.2 slot to plug in the wrecked SSD, and booting on Ubuntu from USB. Once recognized through the mainboard, it is indeed usable again back in the USB enclosure.

I hope the update to 1.27.24 will improve stability...the above recovery process is a tiny bit tedious.
@formerglory: Thanks for the link by the way.

formerglory

Jan 31, 2021
Need some help and recommendations here. I've acquired several Orico NVMe enclosures that have a built-in fan and temperature read-out LED display (model M2PX-C3). They use the JMS583 chipset. I bought them specifically because of the built-in fan, which has helped solve throttling issues. So far, they work very well on my Windows 10 machine. I've updated the FW on them from previous info on this thread.

The issue that I'm having is this: it looks like there's some sort of bug with Apple Silicon computers and this chipset when the drive is formatted as APFS Encrypted. See this MacRumors thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/slow-usb-c-nvme-ssd-performance-on-m1.2277583/

I've tried a few drives, including an older WD Black NVMe (1st-gen), a Sabrent Rocket 1TB, and a WD SN550 500GB, all give the same slow read/write speed **only when formatted as APFS Encrypted.** When formatted as HFS, exFAT, or APFS non-encrypted, the read/write speeds are what I expect. I'm connecting these enclosures to my M1 Mac mini via USB-C to USB-C, so 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps), verified that the cord is capable of doing as such.

This issue doesn't happen when connecting to an Intel Mac with USB-C (USB 3.1G2) or USB-A (USB 3.1G1 5Gbps), I get expected read/write speeds from those machines. The issue persists on Monterey and hasn't gone away, so it could be a hardware incompatibility. I don't get this issue with Realtek 9210-based enclosures, such as my Fideco with a fan and my passive-cooled Orico (M2PJM-C3) when using APFS Encrypted on an M1 Mac.

My question is this: are there any Realtek-based enclosures with a built-in fan for active cooling? I have this one currently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DJZKGT8, but I'd prefer something akin to the Orico that isn't flashy with RGB/gamer aesthetics. The Fideco is also very tight and won't work with double-sided SSDs and a heat pad.

EDIT: Alternatively, there's always a Thunderbolt-based enclosure, but those are quite a bit more money: https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Thunder-Enclosure-Only-Fledging/dp/B07QY9V2KM

FloydPink

Dec 27, 2021
Hi all, I have tested ORICO M2PJM-C3-GY with RTL9210B. I have installed latest firmware 1.27.24. I have tried to install Linux as well WindowsToGo 10. Both was very unstable. I have a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 ports and I have tried to use as well USBA ports. Speeds was similar but unstable.

Right now I have a combination of ASUS ROG STRIX ARION (ESD-S1C) SSD NVME with 1TB Apacer PP3480 drive. This enclosure contain ASMedia 2362. It is bigger than Orico however it is STABLE and cooler. I use this disk mainly as my WindowsToGo 10 drive with OS build 19044.1415. So far I am happy.

Maybe in future I would like to test TB3/TB4 enclosures, however I did not find something stable with reasonable price.

Reactions: tomyummmm
Jan 4, 2022
Good day folks.. new to this forum, and i have an issue on hand.

some time last year I gotten my hands on an Orico M2PV-C3, with the RTL9210 controller. It worked reasonably well for the first few months, but more recently it has been exhibiting some odd behaviour.

just yesterday i was copying ~100 GB of files to the drive when it completely froze and disconnected the USB devices attached to my PC. I tried different cables (both C-to-C and A-to-C), as well as 4 different PCs. All same.

Earlier today, after reading through this thread (which has a lot of comprehensive information, thank you), I attempted to update the RTL9210's firmware. firmware updating failed a few times, but managed to install 1.27.24.

Tried to connect to my PC again, and the same symptoms occurred: the drive locked up and disconnected all the USB devices

For information

Desktop: Dell Optiplex 7020, using the front panel USB 3.0 ports
Laptop: Dell Vostro 5481, using the USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C) port and the USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-A)
Laptop: Acer Swift 3, using USB-C and USB-A ports

Reactions: tomyummmm

tomyummmm

Jan 12, 2022
Hi all, I have tested ORICO M2PJM-C3-GY with RTL9210B. I have installed latest firmware 1.27.24. I have tried to install Linux as well WindowsToGo 10. Both was very unstable. I have a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 ports and I have tried to use as well USBA ports. Speeds was similar but unstable.

Hi, i have the same enclosure M2PJM-C3, and is very unstable, did you manage to find a firmware that is stable? For mine i have tried 1.23.9, 23.15, 25.7 and 27.24 but always have disconnecting issues. I tried using my Teamgroup MP33 Pro 512GB for cloning of my internal laptop ssd, but has only passed 2 out of more than 20 tries. All other tries fail / eject / disconnect / unable to write even though connected.

It also seems like this has very bad design, the PCB is very loose inside the enclosure and keeps rattling around, and there is back and forth movement causing the usb C port to move in and out. I think this has caused issue where the drive is very sensitive to being moved about after plugging it in, like it only works at certain angles.

I think i will be purchasing a generic adapter from aliexpress, tool-less design and much cheaper than the orico which i bought for about 30USD, also seems more secured and screwed down PCB.

US $14.78 29%OFF | SSD M2 NVMe Case,Dual Protocol M.2 NVME PCIe NGFF SATA M2 SSD Adapter Case HD Externo for 2230 2242 2260 2280 M.2 SSD RTL9210B https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0S6AWC

Or is there other suggestions?