SSD with bad blocks?

eegad

Feb 16, 2014
I've got a 3-4 year old pc. It came with a 1TB HDD, and right away I bought another internal 1TB HDD and ran Macrium Reflect to clone the original drive, then disconnected the clone. For 3 years, every 3-4 months, I would connect the 2nd drive, clone the boot drive to it, shut down, and swap the drives (leaving the just-cloned drive disconnected). In this way, I was sure the cloning process worked since I then started using the clone as my boot drive right away. And I had a complete system backup with the other drive in case the boot drive ever died.

6 months ago I bought a Sandisk 1TB SSD and cloned my boot HDD to it, then swapped the SSD as the boot drive. It went flawlessly, and I've been loving the boot-time, file copying, etc speed boost. Today I decided to clone the SSD back to one of the HDD's since it's been overdue. It failed 3 times in a row at 22% with a "unable to read from disk" error. Running Sandisk dashboard utility shows the drive as being in good health, but if I run the long diagnostic test it fails (but of course doesn't tell me WHY it fails)

I've just downloaded EaseUS Partition Master and run a "surface scan". It shows 13 bad blocks on the drive (actually it says "sectors", but I thought SSD's use "blocks"?). So now I need some help :

- How can I find exactly what files were damaged by those bad blocks so that I can (hopefully) replace them?

- Has Partition Master automatically "locked out" those bad blocks so nothing else will attempt to be written to it? (does it work for SSD's or only HDD's)

- Is there a free cloning utility that will run under windows 7 (no need to use a boot CD or anything), and that will ignore errors due to bad blocks?

(i believe the SSD should be under warranty and replaced by sandisk, but my main goal right now is to get the thing cloned onto the HDD and replace any damaged files, then i'll deal with that)

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I suppose you have run chkdisk to attempt to retrieve data and fix the drive ? See here for details

https://appuals.com/chkdsk-f-r-vs-chkdsk-r-f/

If that is unsuccessful, I would image the drive and restore the image to the HDD target. See Macrium Reflect Free version for the operating steps. It restores the image to the target via a PE environment boot device. My theory is that while the affected data may remain irretrievable, the image will not transfer bad blocks.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Macrium reflect is pretty good, but my favorite utility for cloning from a problematic drive is Paragon HDM. Paragon costs money, but it is better at cloning from damaged or corrupt drives.