SSD Windows boot time

InnovativeDan

Apr 14, 2013
Hi, I've recently upgraded to a Samsung 840 128GB SSD from a WD 1TB Black HDD, however, prior to the SSD upgrade, I was getting an approximately 40s boot time. But after the SSD upgrade, windows boot time skyrocket to about 2mins, with most of the time spent on the windows logo loading.

How is that possible? Isn't a SSD suppose to speed up windows boot time significantly? What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm using the old HDD as a storage media now at D:/ if that info helped.

P.S. am using windows 7 for both scenario & SSD is plugged into INTEL 6GB/S SATA PORT on my motherboard

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
How did you do the upgrade? Are you using AHCI and the latest Intel RST drivers?

Can you disconnect the old HDD (it might be an issue with it and Windows is stalling during the bootup process because of that) for a quick test?

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Use Samsung magician and do a benckmark, to see what speed it's reporting.
Post picture with results.

You did a clean install of windows on the SSD or you cloned the data from your WD to the SSD?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Is it a clone partition from the HDD to SSD? A clean install and AHCI enabled shouldn't be causing problems.

InnovativeDan

Apr 14, 2013
@all, yes, it is a clean install & AHCI is enabled on BIOS.

@mikeymikec, I did not do any configuration for Intel Rapid Storage Technology or any drivers for that

@Piotrsama
Here is a screenshot of Samsung Magic benchmark
samsungmagic.png

cantholdanymore

Mar 20, 2011
@all, yes, it is a clean install & AHCI is enabled on BIOS.

@mikeymikec, I did not do any configuration for Intel Rapid Storage Technology or any drivers for that

@Piotrsama
Here is a screenshot of Samsung Magic benchmark
samsungmagic.png
Your results looks pretty much like mine (yours showing better Reads and mine slightly better Writes) But my windows boot time is a lot faster than using a HDD.:confused:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Check the event log for anything unusual during startup?

Did Windows 7 take 2 minutes the boot from the first actual OS boot (ie. not during setup)?

Last edited:

aviator78

Aug 12, 2012
Can you please do a benchmark, using AS SSD Benchmark and post the screen of the results! AS SSD also shows used driver and block alignment. It is freeware, just google it.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Is this the first few boots after installation or does it still happen after a dozen reboots?

What does the Event Log show, particularly System and Application?

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Do you have a 120gb Samsung 840 or a 128gb 840 pro? Either way, your results are way screwed up. I've got a 120gb 840 series in my parents' desktop and a 250gb 840 (both slower non-pro models) and both boot w7 in the low 20 second range.

What motherboard model do you have? Latest firmware installed? You're sure it's an Intel 6gbps port and not a Marvell one?

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
^He's got a non PRO 840, results of the benchmark are in line of what you should expect for a 840 120GB.
Something fishy going on....

In Samsung's Magician, go to "OS optimization", and follow the instructions, maybe it helps.

The SSD is only one partition with the 120GB allocated to it?
You have some free space on the SSD or it's almost full?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Fast. 10-15 seconds to load Windows. Maybe add 5sec to get apps loaded and responded once logged in. (Vertex 3 90GB.)

Of course, I have a 15 second BIOS delay and a EaseUS backup bootloader to wait through too. But that's not bottlenecked by the SSD.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
My SSD boots up pretty fast but I'm an impatient bastard and I want FASTER....FASTERRRR! Seems to me like Motherboards play a significant role in boot time as well. My motherboard hangs for a few secs during bootup it seems. I really wanted a blazing bootup speed. Gotta be something I can do to increase bootup speed, anyone got some methods? Would an overclocked CPU help with bootup speed much or would it be miniscule?

running win 7 x64 bit.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Possible fix for this is enable ReadyBoot in services ,,,,,,,, It might be turned off or OS turned it off but anyhow,, just make sure readyboot is set to enable.... gl

Feb 25, 2011
My SSD boots up pretty fast but I'm an impatient bastard and I want FASTER....FASTERRRR! Seems to me like Motherboards play a significant role in boot time as well. My motherboard hangs for a few secs during bootup it seems. I really wanted a blazing bootup speed. Gotta be something I can do to increase bootup speed, anyone got some methods? Would an overclocked CPU help with bootup speed much or would it be miniscule?

running win 7 x64 bit.

CPU wouldn't matter. You should be able to tell the BIOS to skip memory tests and set the startup delay to 0 or 1 seconds.

I purposefully have mine set to 10 seconds because I sometimes zone out and it gives me time to go, "wait... F2 for setup or F10 for boot... why was I rebooting again? Huh.... I don't rememb- OH, YEAH! **F2**"

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Theres still something fishy going on. Your benchmark speeds look normal, but at boot speed is abysmal. My parents only have a pentium dual core (sandy bridge based) 2.6 ghz and they get a 20s boot time.

Try booting from a different sata port to see if it speeds up. Try disconnecting all hdds except the ssd and all USB drives except keyboard and mouse and see if anything changes.

Also, this slowness is repeatable, right? It's not after a windows update, right?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
To be clear, are you counting from when you turn on the computer or hit the POST screen? Has the POST gotten longer (you can put a delay in there or take it out sometimes)?

Just got me a new Intel 520 and using an SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) port and it's slightly faster. I wouldn't say there's a huge difference from turning on/POST to when I hit the log on screen. On the other hand, actually logging in and opening programs, everything else is way faster. Seems in line with the sticky FAQ at the top of this forum.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Did we ever do like Mikey said and get rid of the HD and boot from just the SSD?

I bet they are crossed up like mine were.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
It took a week to remember why my boot times got slower it had do with a install disc in cd.
I then reset bios for only one boot item and my pc is normal again.