Spybot S&D: Record for most spyware found?

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
What's the record for number of spyware programs\files\registry keys\etc you've found either in your system or a system you've worked on using either Spybot or AdAware.

I found 1056 using Spybot on a friend's system who had a tendency to click yes on certain sites. Yours?

Most I've found on mine was 9.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
The first time I ran it, I found something like 8 programs. I haven't gotten anything since I began using Mozilla/Firefox about a year and a half ago.

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
1056 is a lot.........the most i've found on someone elses pc was around 600 and I thought that was alot.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
5 billion.

Really. Don't ask for a screenshot though, it was a while back.

;)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
My sister's computer. In a 3 month period from when it had been gotten brand new. 124 instances of spyware programs (not counting tracking cookies, etc). Symantec found 24 separate Virii too.

ZV

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ClueLis
The first time I ran it, I found something like 8 programs. I haven't gotten anything since I began using Mozilla/Firefox about a year and a half ago.
Try the latest beta "version 1.3 beta 6"of Spybot, which DOES detect Mozilla/Firefox spyware cookies.

Text

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
The only kind I usually get are a few (under 10 cookies). My PC remains pretty clean :)

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: vailr
Originally posted by: ClueLis
Try the latest beta "version 1.3 beta 6"of Spybot, which DOES detect Mozilla/Firefox spyware cookies.

Text

Yeah I just did a couple days ago. I ended up with 1 tracking cookie, but I don't really consider that spyware (compared to programs like Gator).

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Not sure about Spybot, but for the few days I worked at Best Buy - they had a screen cap of a customer's computer - over 10,000 viruses found by Norton AV. I can't begin to fathom how you get that many viruses on a computer.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
About 450 on a computer I was helping with.

On the same computer, it was so virus infected, it had more virus files then my windows folder had files. Around 13,000. I couldn't even run the programs on it, I had to take out the hard drive and scan it after I put it in my computer.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Oh god I have you all beat.

I went to a friend's house to fix his computer. He, his daughter, son, and wife all like to install freeware/shareware/trialware screensavers, gator, etc etc. It got to the point where his computer would crash on a 20 minute startup because it was trying to load so much stuff on boot. The first thing I did once I could do anything with the computer was to run spybot.

It had over 3100 things on it. It took spybot nearly an hour to detect and delete them all. I set it to run on the next boot and rebooted. It found another 80 or so programs to get.

So then I ran norton antivirus. He had about 20 viruses.

I then tried a disk defrag, and the windows defrag utility crapped out. It basically said: "dude, you're on your own" as the hard drive had something like 90% fragmentation. I had to download a 3rd party utility and let it run overnight to fix it. He said it was still running in the morning (~10 hrs after I had started it).

It was a P2 350 with 64 MB ram running win98 IIRC. He hadn't done any of the normal maintenance to it since he had bought it.

rky60

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Most i've seen was 4 virus's and about 950 or so spy stuff found usin Ad-Aware on one puter

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
It's amazing how much you can get in just one day if you relax the security settings in MSIE. I mean ALLOW EVERYTHING! :Q

Cheers!

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
Originally posted by: silverpig

I went to a friend's house to fix his computer. He, his daughter, son, and wife all like to install freeware/shareware/trialware screensavers, gator, etc etc. It got to the point where his computer would crash on a 20 minute startup because it was trying to load so much stuff on boot. The first thing I did once I could do anything with the computer was to run spybot.

It had over 3100 things on it. It took spybot nearly an hour to detect and delete them all. I set it to run on the next boot and rebooted. It found another 80 or so programs to get.

I then tried a disk defrag, and the windows defrag utility crapped out. It basically said: "dude, you're on your own" as the hard drive had something like 90% fragmentation. I had to download a 3rd party utility and let it run overnight to fix it. He said it was still running in the morning (~10 hrs after I had started it).

It was a P2 350 with 64 MB ram running win98 IIRC. He hadn't done any of the normal maintenance to it since he had bought it.

:Q

That post made me laugh.

Then after it all sunk in, I almost felt like crying.

Still laughing though.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: silverpig

:Q

That post made me laugh.

Then after it all sunk in, I almost felt like crying.

Still laughing though.

And that's the short version. You should have seen how much stuff came up in the win98 version of the task manager. You'd sit at a blank desktop for about 10 minutes while all that crap tried loading. He knew about ctrl alt del and said if he killed <list of 7 or 8 things here> then it would get into windows about 1/3 of the time. After that EVERYTHING ran slow. I can't even remember half the stuff that was wrong with it because it was so traumatizing.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Just think about how many people who don't have knowledgeable friends to bail them out. I wonder how many new computers are purchased for that very reason... And, I wonder how many perfectly (albeit needing a format and reinstall of windows) good computers are thrown out.

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
One guy had like 5000 viruses that was found. Took like 8 hours to find it. Hehe and the first time it was going, it crashed about halfway and so had to restart it. Once that was done, spybot found around 3000 things.

-fk

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Lately I haven't found any with spyBot..did they all give up..or did spyBot launch an attack and kill em all??...:confused:

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I had a system in RI last week that had over 500 adware entries and 5 viruses including some adware virus that nothing could properly remove. I had to kill it manually. Damn thing had 2 processes and as soon as I killed one it would start another. Finally I ran adaware and it either went low key or was slowed down enough that I could finally kill both processes. Really wish these places would police their own employees.