Spy Pics of '05 STS - Better this time.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
angled
front
rear

The exact source and date of this picture is unknown to GMI, though our sources adamantly claimed it to be authentic. We tend to believe this given the facts listed on the sheet along with the pictures. Also note, that the picture appears to be a scan of a photocopied version of the original document (say that three times fast!), leaving graininess that makes this a unlikely candidate for any photoshopping tricks. However we must keep in mind that in our high-tech world anything is possible. Interestingly, there are no copyrights or internal markings that would designate it's source anywhere on the document.

Another item pointing towards the authenticity of the pictures is that in comparison to the the spy pictures released on other sites the cars proportions seem to match up exactly. Adding to the mix, even the wheels seem to be very similar. Remember the STS being based on the Sigma chassis is essentially an enlarged CTS, however it will wear all new panels. This is illustrated by comparing the highlighted body panel in the picture immediately above to this spy picture of the STS . This body line is very similar on the two STS pictures, but very different on the Cadillac CTS. This alone is a very strong factor in proving the documents validity.

The only alarm on this picture is that the documentation lists the car as "Seville", and not "STS", which is the name we are all hearing. Though at first this is worrisome, remember that GM referred to the CTS as "Catera" for a while before its launch and at it's root CTS does stand for "Catera Touring Sedan". The same is true of "STS" which stands for "Seville Touring Sedan" and has so for a while. Either way GM has yet to publicly refer to the Seville replacement as "STS", so it is entirely possible for them to refer to the car as Seville until it's new name is official.

One last thing to remember is that the age of this document is unknown, and about a year ago Bob Lutz ordered the STS to have a slight redesign. It is unknown if our document is representative of that change or not. There is a lot of Cadillac Sixteen in the rear which points to it being the new design, however muddying the waters, the front is pure CTS Art & Science. It is known that Lutz is a had a huge hand in the design of the Cadillac Sixteen, so much so that the new styling treatment is jokingly called Art & Bob at GM. Judging by the other spy pictures, if there were any changes from this design they were small changes in the front and rear. Either way take the details of the picture with a grain of salt.

I guess we'll find out in due time how accurate these pics are...

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
hopefully they loose the FWD - that is a NoNo on a luxury car - one with lots of power at that.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I thought Caddy was going to drop this vehicle name?!!?
rolleye.gif

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: B00ne
hopefully they loose the FWD - that is a NoNo on a luxury car - one with lots of power at that.

It's using the RWD Sigma platform taken from the CTS. It may get an AWD option in a few years.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
That is not the '05 STS.

That is an early clay model of the '04 STS. Bob Lutz saw it, declared it was far too ugly (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and ordered it redesigned. That's why the car was pushed back one year.

Take another look at the Car Connection spy shots. They look nothing like that.

That picture was not supposed to be leaked to the public. I only saw it, because I know somebody who works at GM on another message board. He sent it out to a bunch of "trusted" people; someone must have leaked it to GMIN :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shantanu
That is not the '05 STS.

That is an early clay model of the '04 STS. Bob Lutz saw it, declared it was far too ugly (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and ordered it redesigned. That's why the car was pushed back one year.

That picture was not supposed to be leaked to the public. I only saw it, because I know somebody who works at GM on another message board. He sent it out to a bunch of "trusted" people; someone must have leaked it to GMIN :p

Thank God Shatanu, that car is downright fugly. I hope the new STS kicks the new 5-Series' butt in looks :p

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Forget the fugliness of the front for a moment...I HATE THE HIGH TRUNKLINES IN ART & SCI!!! GOOD GOD THOSE BACKENDS ARE GODAWFUL!!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHIP THE ENTIRE DESIGN DEPARTMENT TO SOUTH AMERICA SO THEY CAN REMEMBER WHAT A GOOD ASS LOOKS LIKE!!!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Forget the fugliness of the front for a moment...I HATE THE HIGH TRUNKLINES IN ART & SCI!!! GOOD GOD THOSE BACKENDS ARE GODAWFUL!!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHIP THE ENTIRE DESIGN DEPARTMENT TO SOUTH AMERICA SO THEY CAN REMEMBER WHAT A GOOD ASS LOOKS LIKE!!!

LOL!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
as long as they keep 19s it'll be nice, whatever it ends up being

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: Shantanu
That is not the '05 STS.

True it may be an early clay model, but Lutz called for minor changes (specifically rear end I believe).. so this willa t least hint at what we will see.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Uhhh.. No. That model dates back to 2000, according to the guy who works at GM. He said that by the time Lutz came, they weren't even using that model anymore.

The '05 STS will look like a slightly larger CTS with SRX style headlamps, and an XLR like backend.