Sprint Needs Better Coverage

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I do a lot of travelling, and frequently I run into areas in upscale metro zones (i.e., Pasadena, CA) where Sprint fades from zero to 2 bars. I go one block away and get 4 to 5 bars. Does that indicate another tower is needed?

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
It indicates that your city has some dead zones. More towers could help, sure.

FWIW, I love the Sprint Airave. I'll take perfect reception at home any day of the week.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Maybe they could strike a deal with Verizon. I've got great service but all the phones are crap.
Actually, there was a time last year when Verizon was considering acquiring Sprint. That would have been a good thing for most of us consumers.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Allow your phone to roam and it shouldnt be a problem. There are roaming agreements between the carriers.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Actually, not talking about a phone, but about an aircard/laptop connection. They don't roam.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Alot of the problem is Sprint only has 1900mhz (PCS) licenses. The shorter wavelength doesnt penatrate building nearly as well as carriers using 850mhz (cellular) licenses. Since all the 850mhz had already been allocated by the time sprint came about, their only choices were to aquire 850 licenses thru mergers and buyouts, or by building out new spectrum, which they chose.

hebrewbacon

Apr 1, 2008
I've got to say that my new Touch Diamond has very impressive call quality. I won't vouch for the interface now since it's got quite a few kinks in it. Anyway, this just goes to say that if your phone has a good radio, that's half the battle in terms of going into a bad coverage zone. If you have a 7 year old Motorola, that's probably your problem.

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
Been on the SERO plan for almost 4 years now, and never once have I had bad coverage.

(I live in the metro-Detroit area)

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: hebrewbacon
I've got to say that my new Touch Diamond has very impressive call quality. I won't vouch for the interface now since it's got quite a few kinks in it. Anyway, this just goes to say that if your phone has a good radio, that's half the battle in terms of going into a bad coverage zone. If you have a 7 year old Motorola, that's probably your problem.

Actually an old Moto would win.