Sprained ankle...compress it while I sleep?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Right now the part under my ankle is purple. Anyone know if I should continue to compress it while I sleep? I can't find an answer online, thanks.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Compression may or may not help. I assumed you used a coldpack on it when you first injured it? Did you take any NSAIDs to help stop the swelling?

Ace bandage would be good tomorrow to help with stability/support while you are walking, it would be better tonight to try and elevate it while you sleep.

If in doubt remember RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

In your case you need to elevate to help ward off more swelling/pain

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
A firm wrap while you sleep could really mess it up. If you got it too tight, it might really be a pain before it finally woke you up.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Compression may or may not help. I assumed you used a coldpack on it when you first injured it? Did you take any NSAIDs to help stop the swelling?

Ace bandage would be good tomorrow to help with stability/support while you are walking, it would be better tonight to try and elevate it while you sleep.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I haven't used any drugs. I think I might take a motrin tonight before I sleep. I elevated it last night and today took a bucket of ice water and put my foot in and out every 20 minutes (it's about half the size of when I originally got it 2 days ago). When I'm not icing it I'm compressing it. Basically I'm trying my hardest to be able to play volleyball next week.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: 50
Originally posted by: DeathBUA

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I haven't used any drugs. I think I might take a motrin tonight before I sleep. I elevated it last night and today took a bucket of ice water and put my foot in and out every 20 minutes (it's about half the size of when I originally got it 2 days ago). When I'm not icing it I'm compressing it. Basically I'm trying my hardest to be able to play volleyball next week.

Motrin is good for swelling, just make sure to have a small snack or milk so it doesnt tear up your stomach. Ice is good but once the injury is >72 hours consider heat as an option as well.

Also with compression you arent supposed to keep an ACE wrap on for more than 3-4 hours. That being said if you want to play volleyball next week, rest it as much as you can, motrin is your best friend to keep swelling down somewhat. Beyond that ACE wrap during the day for stability and just take it off every 3-4 hours for about an hour then reapply to make sure blood flow and circulation stays adequate.