Sports card grading?

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Around 10 years ago I heavily collected basketball cards. I kept my most prized in excellent condition, and now I would like to have them graded. What service is recommended for this, how much should I expect to pay (I'm assuming the price per card goes down as the # of cards you have graded goes up), and how much does a card's value increase if it receives a good grade? I know the market is down, but I'm not doing this just to sell, but also for myself.

eber

Dec 5, 2002
Try looking around for information on PSA...I think they're the most respected. I'm pretty sure they have a website with their pricing. The grading is expensive and only worth it for cards that already have a high book value or cards that are really old and hard to find in good condition. The value of graded cards (especially Gem Mint 10) can increase a cards value by a lot. For GM10 cards, 10x or more usually of the normal Beckett type 'mint' graded cards.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
PSA's site is http://www.psacard.com . They will have all the information there about cost, etc. Cost varies based on how fast you want them graded, but I think the lowest price is $8 per card. You better know if the cards are worth sending in, because otherwise you can waste a ton of money. Check ebay completed auctions to see what certain cards go for.

Better yet, you might get to a card shop and buy a few cheap cards in PSA 8, 9 and 10 to see for yourself what those grades look like.