sport bike for casual riding?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Since dying or being handicapped sucks and stuff, in your opinion, would riding a bike casually and only for fun (not your main transportation), be less dangerous?

Mnementh

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: OS
Since dying or being handicapped sucks and stuff, in your opinion, would riding a bike casually and only for fun (not your main transportation), be less dangerous?

Stop and think about your question for a second. Less riding = less experience, riding for fun normally means doing things you wouldn't do during normal use, which when riding a bike normally means slightly more dangerous tbh.

If you're a new rider then you need to ride as much as possible to get as much experience as possible imho.

You can never tell when you're gonna have an accident you could ride once a month and have somebody pull out on you or you could ride every day and have nobody pull out on you, the only thing you can do is gain as much experience as possible and always always ride defensively, just keep thinking everybody else on the road is an a$$hole and is out to get me and you will find your riding is much safer.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Yeah, don't become an FWB, or even worse, an FWWB!

(FWB = Fair Weather Biker, FWWB = Fair Weather Weekend Biker)

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Yeah, you should drive the bike "just trying" on every kind of bad road that you might find in your area (wet, with water film, dust/sand and so on). This might just save your life sometime. Also, you should learn to keep control of the bike during "crash braking" - there could be moments when you will brake as nothing else would matter.
Try to brake and, when the speed slowed, maneuver out of the imagined danger zone. I would have saved big repair to my car if I would have maneuver it once the speed slowed a bit, instead of braking like possessed.

But know just that: the accidents hunts you when you are leisurely riding for fun

Calin

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
However the more time you are on the road, the more chances there are for someone to cut you off, pull out in front of you, turn into you, etc. But I agree that themore experience you have, the better the chances you'll be able to recover from a sitution like that anyway.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Riding a sportbike as a casual hobby or even a daily commuter will turn you off from biking, easy as that. It's like using a Ferrari to drive down your driveway to get the mail, and that's it.
Having ridden for 19 years, the last 4 being on a sportbike, I can honestly say that within the last 2 years I've become less interested in riding on public street/highways, completely due to the fact that I use mine for commuting and the odd ride on the weekends. If I lived near a track or two, or had an abundance of great mountain roads in my area, I would imagine I'd never be home though!
Consider getting yourself a dual sport(like a KTM Duke) if you're just going to commute and ride for fun on weekends. Cuz a sportbike will make you want to get your money's worth out of it, and if you're riding once a week that's going to get you in big trouble, like Mnementh said.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: RedRooster
Riding a sportbike as a casual hobby or even a daily commuter will turn you off from biking, easy as that. It's like using a Ferrari to drive down your driveway to get the mail, and that's it.
Having ridden for 19 years, the last 4 being on a sportbike, I can honestly say that within the last 2 years I've become less interested in riding on public street/highways, completely due to the fact that I use mine for commuting and the odd ride on the weekends. If I lived near a track or two, or had an abundance of great mountain roads in my area, I would imagine I'd never be home though!
Consider getting yourself a dual sport(like a KTM Duke) if you're just going to commute and ride for fun on weekends. Cuz a sportbike will make you want to get your money's worth out of it, and if you're riding once a week that's going to get you in big trouble, like Mnementh said.

Thats total malarky..
Ive only had a bike for the last 8 years... no cars at all..
before that i had both for most of my life...
during my divorce 8 years ago the old lady took the stang.. and ive been biking it ever since...
1996 GSXR 750 and now a 2001 CBR 929 RR are my most recent bikes... the GSXR had over 40k miles on it when i sold it in 2001 to buy the 929.. the 929 now has 20k miles on it..

VERY few of those miles could I say is work related... most is on weekends when I put over 300 miles a day riding with my friends all over..
its about 80 miles to the beach 1 way and we make that trip several times every weekend... other times we ride out to the country and do curves...

Anyway just to prove that riding to work every day does not burn you out on bikes..
I also hold a CCS/CMRA race license that Ive held for 4 years now .. Bikes are life man.. sportbikes are the only game in town...
using the HOV lane = great
6 dollar a week gas bill even better....
not sitting in traffic EVER..= priceless