Spore delayed indefinitely

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

UPDATE
Reports that Electronic Arts? highly anticipated Spore has been further delayed are ?misinformation,? the publisher told Next-Gen today.

It?s one of the most anticipated games of today, and any word of further delay for Will Wright?s Spore is sure to make headlines.

But reports making rounds today are basically old news being made into ?new? news, EA said.

?There seems to be some misinformation flying around,? explained a rep in a phone interview. ?Nothing?s changed since our call on May 8, where [CEO] John Riccitello specifically said that we were moving Spore from fiscal ?08 to early fiscal ?09."

EA's fiscal 2009 runs from April 2008 through March 2009.

During that May earnings call, Riccitello stated, "?Spore is a title we have enormous confidence in. I've had the chance to review the title three times in the my short return to EA and it looks fantastic. I will also tell you that it's right up [to] the bubble in Q4 [of fiscal ?08], if not sometime in early fiscal '09, so we don't feel comfortable in forecasting it."

There has yet to be a firm announced released date for Spore. An "early fiscal '09" release means that the game could theoretically launch in spring 2008.

The rep said that the rumor of the additional delay was exacerbated by a quote making the rounds in the games press lifted from the latest issue of Game Informer which says that the game is ?delayed indefinitely.? Apparently, the information from the conference call was misconstrued, the rep determined.

?It?s the same information we said in May. Spore?s progressing and it looks great,? she added.

Link

Game Informer is reporting that Spore has been delayed past fiscal 08 into fiscal 09. Could this mean that EA is prepping it for a launch with a console or two? Or does the game need a massive overhaul? Either way it?s a huge blow to PC gamers. Will Wright who has created some of the most critically acclaimed games such as Sim City, The Sims, everything Sim pretty much, is behind Spore. I would love to hear an official word from him rather than an EA rep, but that will have to make do. Lets just hope for some concrete info at E3 coming up in July.

Source: Game Informer

Link

The latest Game Informer reports that Spore has been "delayed indefinitely", but reached for comment today, Electronic Arts says that "Spore has slipped out of fiscal 08 and into fiscal 09". Either way you cut it, it means that the game we've all been waiting to play on our computers isn't coming anytime soon.

With all of the videos we've seen of gameplay showing off the different stages of Spore development and all of the media stops Will Wright has done talking about the game, it's kinda hard to figure out exactly what is taking so long. Could they be trying to port it to a console for a dual launch? Did the game need a major overhaul? Does Will Wright hate me and just like torturing me with some sort of non-existent Sisyphusian game?

Actually, I don't really care what the reasons are, I just want me some Spore. Brian Crecente

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
EA is going through a major reorganization, this game is probably just caught in the cross fire of developers being shifted around.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:(

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
After looking at screen shots I lost interest in this game... but EA sucks more and more these days.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Also, remember it's fiscal year 2009, not 2009. FY 2009 could start in August 2008 for EA for all we know.

Oct 19, 2000
I don't understand the hype for this game. It just does not look intriguing to me at all, quite boring as well.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I don't understand the hype for this game. It just does not look intriguing to me at all, quite boring as well.

I think if you enjoyed Populous or Black and White then you might enjoy Spore. I was intrigued, but it is beginning to sound like one of those wonderful visions that never quite becomes reality.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas
Also, remember it's fiscal year 2009, not 2009. FY 2009 could start in August 2008 for EA for all we know.
It starts in April 2008 actually. FY 2009 is Q2 2008.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have a feeling that Spore will end up like Fable... Molyneux (aka Wright) promised the world and delivered... ummm Czechoslovakia?

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Aikouka
I have a feeling that Spore will end up like Fable... Molyneux (aka Wright) promised the world and delivered... ummm Czechoslovakia?

OT: hmmmmm Czechoslovakia doesnt exist for 14 years ;)

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
That's fine--take as long as you need to make an incredible, and revolutionary game. :)

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: warcrow
That's fine--take as long as you need to make an incredible, and revolutionary game. :)

Seriously...no rush. It'll come out eventually.

They have a lot riding on Spore, so they probably want to make damn sure it's as amazing as it looks.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'd be shocked and appalled if EA delayed Spore indefinitely. Its easily the most innovative title to come down the pipeline and at least a decade. Its also the most interesting product in EA's portfolio and has a great deal of potential, unlike most of the mediocre crap they crap out.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I'd be shocked and appalled if EA delayed Spore indefinitely. Its easily the most innovative title to come down the pipeline and at least a decade. Its also the most interesting product in EA's portfolio and has a great deal of potential, unlike most of the mediocre crap they crap out.

By delayed indefinitely I'm sure they mean "Don't hold your breath" rather than shelving it.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007

Don't compare Will Wright to Peter Molyneux, jesus.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Skacer

Don't compare Will Wright to Peter Molyneux, jesus.

Yeah, Will Wright has just created sim games over and over again, a one trick pony. Peter is more than just one game and has developed many original and different types of games.

Crafty35a

Feb 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: aka1nas
It starts in April 2008 actually. FY 2009 is Q2 2008.

But Spore was not scheduled to be released until late this year, right? So that doesn't seem to jive with the quote from EA that the game has slipped into Fiscal Year 2009.