splinter cell blacklist review plz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's still Sam Fisher but voiced by somebody different. The game play videos I've seen sound very different, but tolerable. Definitely not a good fit IMO.

Also funny people say he looks like Shepard considering you're in complete control of what Shepard looks like... And what gender he/she is.

I always went with the default male Shepard, he looked the part.

What I would like to know even though I'm pretty sure what the answer will be, is which game is Blacklist more similar to: Chaos Theory (stealth) or Conviction ("stealth")?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I always went with the default male Shepard, he looked the part.

What I would like to know even though I'm pretty sure what the answer will be, is which game is Blacklist more similar to: Chaos Theory (stealth) or Conviction ("stealth")?

It looks like a mix of both. You have better options for stealth though. I like how the missions can be pretty long since you can take your time and go quietly.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
thnx so answer is physx and particles is cpu bound and aa all that is gpu bound i would rather oc my cpu first before buying blacklist

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I found the game took a step back in the right direction and then tried to compromise to please these "new gen" gamers. Considering how the Conviction bastard child was, at least they went in the right direction first and then tried to please the new kids and not the other way around. There definitely are elements in the game that remind me of COD and Mass Effect but it is a stealth game once again.

The outdated engine has been heavily nodded and updated and despite it being OK with this release, I seriously hope its retired after the DLC's.

The charm of the first entries in the series was that one guard could make you hold your breath, it had nothing to do with mark &execute 20 baddies at once. This latest entry kinda took a step back towards that. I am too much of a SC fan to help anyone decide whether to get the game or not because I had to get it even if I knew it sucked. Fact that the games of this genre are on the decline lowers my standards anyway but the game is enjoyable and replayable too.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I found the game took a step back in the right direction and then tried to compromise to please these "new gen" gamers. Considering how the Conviction bastard child was, at least they went in the right direction first and then tried to please the new kids and not the other way around. There definitely are elements in the game that remind me of COD and Mass Effect but it is a stealth game once again.

The outdated engine has been heavily nodded and updated and despite it being OK with this release, I seriously hope its retired after the DLC's.

The charm of the first entries in the series was that one guard could make you hold your breath, it had nothing to do with mark &execute 20 baddies at once. This latest entry kinda took a step back towards that. I am too much of a SC fan to help anyone decide whether to get the game or not because I had to get it even if I knew it sucked. Fact that the games of this genre are on the decline lowers my standards anyway but the game is enjoyable and replayable too.

Yeah i wasn't a fan of mark and execute. In the first few games you planned everything cautiously step by step. It felt like the levels were more laid out towards stealth. It had a certain feel to it that only appealed to some but it got you hooked to that style of play. This one brings it back somewhat but I feel like they added all these other elements to make it easier for the rest.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
so answer is particles cpu bound all that is gpu blacklist i would rather oc my PhysX cpu and aa first before bound buying thnx

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Well I've been playing it, not bad but not great either. The story and everything I don't much care for...it talks a lot about the complicated stuff that happened in previous games that I don't really remember about, and it doesn't recap it for you so I just kind of go with the flow.

Personally I suck at stealth games and tend to end up running and gunning, which is actually pretty fun in this game. The gun combat has definitely been improved. Stealth is about the same as always, though I haven't gotten to the part with the dogs yet...Missions have little side missions within them, like finding a piece of data or securing a VIP on the most wanted list. You get extra money for doing that stuff which you can use to upgrade your weapons/gadgets.

There are still some silly things, like how Sams goggles still shine bright in the darkness but nobody sees it - and now your suit has 2 green indicator lights that light up whenever you're hidden, seems kind of counter intuitive but of course enemies don't see the lights.

They also kept in the execute thing from the last game, after you get a stealth kill or whatever you can select 1-3 targets and press execute and Sam will auto kill them for you...Makes things convenient, but pretty gimmicky. They also added in the cover-to-cover auto-move like they did in the last Ghost Recon. This I guess helps you stay in cover but having the game automate so much for you makes it feel like less of a game.

Oh and they added a hub of sorts in the form of a super modified plane with a sort of battle map which you use to select your gear, buy upgrades, and select your mission. There are campaign missions, side missions, and multiplayer missions. I have yet to try multiplayer.

As of now the game is still kind of buggy. Almost every time I alt+tab for whatever reason, it crashes. Whenever I change certain video settings I get stuck at a blank white screen, and the game keeps resetting itself to DirectX 9.

All in all it's still Splinter Cell, even if Sam looks and sounds completely different (so do the other characters, like Grimmsdotor or whoever - she's now a hot, seemingly young, nicely bosomed, redhead who's also a CIA intel genius - but I think she's truly in the game for the former, not so much the latter).

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
so answer is particles cpu bound all that is gpu blacklist i would rather oc my PhysX cpu and aa first before bound buying thnx

Hahah. This is the perfect answer. I think i'll follow this template for his threads going forward.

Seriously, I think his english is fine - there's just no effort. That's why he's using stupid ghetto lingo with words like "plz" "thx" with no capitalization. You don't need a strong basis in English to get the bare minimums in sentence construction, he just isn't putting any effort in. There is no reason to use "plz" "thx", that is laziness.

Anyway, using soundmanred's template from here on.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hahah. This is the perfect answer. I think i'll follow this template for his threads going forward.

Seriously, I think his english is fine - there's just no effort. That's why he's using stupid ghetto lingo with words like "plz" "thx" with no capitalization. You don't need a strong basis in English to get the bare minimums in sentence construction, he just isn't putting any effort in. There is no reason to use "plz" "thx", that is laziness.

Anyway, using soundmanred's template from here on.

He did mention English is not his first language. I'm not even remotely sure what you quoted there lol.

I think he is using a horrible online translator.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah besides the keyboard slang, the sentences just mostly don't make sense.

"So (the?) answer is particles (are?) cpu bound (and?) all that is gpu blacklist I would rather oc my PhysX cpu and aa first before bound buying thanks"

Just fixing the shortened slang words, and attempting to fill in gaps, still doesn't make that sentence coherent.

No offense to the dude, I just don't get it.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
should i close my account on anandtech looks like people have too much problems with me moderator close this thread and guide me to close my account as soon as possible thanks

splat_ed

Mar 12, 2010
should i close my account on anandtech looks like people have too much problems with me moderator close this thread and guide me to close my account as soon as possible thanks

I think it's mostly that we like at least some punctuation. All languages use something to mark start/end of sentences. This just feels lazy. Otherwise people here are actually quite tolerant of second language users.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This is a forum, it is not your texting account on your phone.

that is the only issue.

We use full sentences, and real words. We don't type "plz" and thnx" and all that.

Words.

We get that English isn't your first language--thing is, you obviously know English well enough to not type like a kid raised by texting.

Reading posts when people type as you do is actually quite off-putting for most.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
what did u mean by that????????????????????????????????????????????

Stop using "U". "PLZ". "THX". Stop using that dumb ghetto lingo and put some effort into your typing - you're not texting your buddies, this is a forum where common courtesy is based on putting at least minimal effort into your sentences.

I realize that English isn't your first language, but it is quite obvious that it isn't the issue here. It seems to me that you have a pretty good grasp on how to actually TYPE English, the issue is you are just lazy. You're not typing full words when you clearly know how to - instead, you use ghetto lingo "PLZ". "THX". You're not capitalizing when you clearly know how to.

Again, we're all quite tolerant of those who don't speak English primarily. But laziness is just annoying.

Last edited: