Spirit Airlines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
More once in a blue moon pricing averages for August:

SFO to Denver:
Southwest RT: $300
Not Southwest: $240

Dulles to Chicago:
Southwest: $300
Not Southwest: $115

Atlanta to Orlando:
Southwest: $100
Not Southwest: $80

Now there are cities where they are close in price but they are a far cry from generally being a better deal. I would be willing to bet a decision is going to be more about departure time and total flight time than amazing savings Legacy vs Southwest (or vise versa) aside from select dates. And I saw all this as an A+ member of Southwest

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I went through the Spirit website a few days ago looking for a flight. It felt like I was dealing with RyanAir again. I will never touch anything that's like RyanAir at all.

SouthWest reminds me of EasyJet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They are a very successful and growing company, I've bought their stock several times (SAVE), but not made money... bad timing. They are budget, based in the south east (FL, I think), on the east coast. They have few amenities, charge you for things other airlines give you free, but it's cheaper, as long as you don't bring extra luggage, stuff like that. They certainly are not a "scam!" A travel agency could conceivable be called a scam if they are predatory, an airline could never survive.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The people who spread Sprint hate are people who can't or won't read the fees that Sprint charges. It is true that Sprint has marginally less leg room and it is true that they seem to be late more often than other airlines, however the rest of the complaints is just people not doing their research. A lot of the complaints about spirit is about their fees, their biggest fee is checked luggage at the gate - $100. I've read a lot of complaints about that fee, and I place the blame squarely where it belongs - on the people who did not read the Sprint fee tables. Sprint is upfront about the fee, and if someone is stupid enough to roll the bag that is too big to be a carry on up to the gate, it's on those people, not on Spirit. I don't fly much, but I flew Spirit a year and a half ago because even after all their fees they beat the competition by $50. I'll take those savings. Basically they're fine as long as you know how much luggage you'll be taking with you on the trip and can do math ahead of the time.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
It is true that Sprint has marginally less leg room and it is true that they seem to be late more often than other airlines, however the rest of the complaints is just people not doing their research.

"if you can look past the fact that you're squashed in like sardines and your flight may or may not pick you up and drop you off at your intended time, Spirit is great!"

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
I flew Spirit once, not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I didn't fit in the seats and its not because I'm fat. The distance from my hip to my knee is greater than the back of the seat to the seat in front of it. I had to keep my knees basically at my chest the entire time. Granted I am 6'2", but holy shit.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
"if you can look past the fact that you're squashed in like sardines and your flight may or may not pick you up and drop you off at your intended time, Spirit is great!"

The rest of the airlines are not that much better.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I flew Spirit once, not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I didn't fit in the seats and its not because I'm fat. The distance from my hip to my knee is greater than the back of the seat to the seat in front of it. I had to keep my knees basically at my chest the entire time. Granted I am 6'2", but holy shit.

I'm 5'11 and had the same problem, I was also too wide at my hips, not waist, hips. While I'm not skinny there's only about an inch between by skin and hip bone and I used 100% of that space.

We had to get redirected to another airport, bad weather. No big deal, not the airlines fault. What I saw next was amazing... By the time we land and taxi off the runway were 6 planes at the small airport 2 Spirit, 2 AA, and 2 Delta. We line up to refuel, only one at a time but we're #3 in line. Cool.

First 2 fill up, we sit still. 2 more planes come from behind us and fuel up. Then 2 more, then more, then more (more planes were landing). People on the plane were getting pretty irritated, it was the red eye and pushing 1AM and we were hundreds of miles away still.

Why the wait? The attendants said "other airlines get to refuel before us." I guess Spirit has deals in place to be a second tier customer for cheaper fuel, one of the things they give up is priority on refueling. No idea, but it easily cost an another hour on the tarmac waiting.

But it was cheap.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Why the wait? The attendants said "other airlines get to refuel before us." I guess Spirit has deals in place to be a second tier customer for cheaper fuel, one of the things they give up is priority on refueling. No idea, but it easily cost an another hour on the tarmac waiting.

But it was cheap.

:D