Spiderman 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i think even tobey buffed up a bit for the role of spiderman1, i guess topher grace need some serious CG help. either that or Steroid help

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
What I don't like about the "new generation" of superhero movies, such as Spider-man 1 and 2, is the way the romance is done. In the Superman movies (only II and half of one were good) the romance was based on a mutual attraction; neither Lois nor Superman were "dominant". Sure, Supes had the power, but there was a certain chemistry there. In the new superhero movies, the hero tends to act whipped around his love interest. I like a good romance, but I don't like seeing a character who comes off as "the nice guy". No confidence outside of his costumed persona, and he winds up putting his love interest on a pedestal, worshipping her, even even she comes off as shallow, judgemental, or generall b1tchy. Batman Begins, the Spider-man movies, for example.

Spider-man 2 was alright, I just hated the typical angsty romance where Peter had no spine around MJ. "I can't be with you." "Now I want to be with you, even though I still have my powers." "I've lost my powers, but now I want to be with you. Oops, changed my mind, I want my powers back and want to dump you."

As mentioned before, in the case of the Spiderman movies, the love-interest between Peter Parker and MJ stays pretty true to the comics.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Wasn't Mary Jane super hot in the comic? Why Kirsten Dunst?!?

Also, was she an actor in the comic or a reporter?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Yes and who knows.

If you notice one thing about both Spiderman movies, pretty much everybody with the exception of Harry Osborne and Jameson's son looks more ordinary and not like movie stars. This was especially evident in Spiderman 2.

model turned actor.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Linux23
Originally posted by: raystorm
Topher Grace as Eddie Brock/Venom?? I assume Venom will be all CG cause Topher is a small dude. Eh..so is Tobey and he's a fine Spidey but still.

what????:Q

I really hope thats a joke.

I was thinking the same thing. Eddie Brock was a big guy, even before becoming venom.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Hot!

Originally posted by: MBrown
Spiderman 1 was alright. Spiderman 2 was aweful. I don't think I want to see spiderman 3. Its they are suppose to be action comic book movies but instead they turn it into love stories and I hate love stories. Batman Begins is a good comic book movie.

Attention whore. :roll:

Dec 27, 2001
1 was a fantastic movie. 2, I wouldn't even give a passing grade.

Still, as a married father of two with a full time job, the question for 3 isn't so much whether I'll "go see it", but, rather, will I pick it up for $10-12 the first time there's a deal on it and the answer to that would be yes.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Still, as a married father of two with a full time job, the question for 3 isn't so much whether I'll "go see it", but, rather, will I pick it up for $10-12 the first time there's a deal on it and the answer to that would be yes.

1 was alright, 2 was awesome.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Yes and who knows.

If you notice one thing about both Spiderman movies, pretty much everybody with the exception of Harry Osborne and Jameson's son looks more ordinary and not like movie stars. This was especially evident in Spiderman 2.

model turned actor.

What's with all the kirsten Dunst bashing...I think that she is pretty hot. :thumbsup:...but probably according to you I am blind...:D

Regards

ng

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: raystorm
Topher Grace as Eddie Brock/Venom?? I assume Venom will be all CG cause Topher is a small dude. Eh..so is Tobey and he's a fine Spidey but still.

Still doesn't make sense. Eddie Brock was a fvcking massive tank before he got the venom suit. He just plain doesn't have a build for that character, no matter what his diet is. He'd have to take HGH to even get close.

Venom's Bio

I'd totally have to agree. :) There's no way they're gonna make Topher 6'3 and 260.

jc

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
dunst is pretty hot, but she needs to gain some weight, the last pic shows off her boney back pretty well.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
What I don't like about the "new generation" of superhero movies, such as Spider-man 1 and 2, is the way the romance is done. In the Superman movies (only II and half of one were good) the romance was based on a mutual attraction; neither Lois nor Superman were "dominant". Sure, Supes had the power, but there was a certain chemistry there. In the new superhero movies, the hero tends to act whipped around his love interest. I like a good romance, but I don't like seeing a character who comes off as "the nice guy". No confidence outside of his costumed persona, and he winds up putting his love interest on a pedestal, worshipping her, even even she comes off as shallow, judgemental, or generall b1tchy. Batman Begins, the Spider-man movies, for example.

Spider-man 2 was alright, I just hated the typical angsty romance where Peter had no spine around MJ. "I can't be with you." "Now I want to be with you, even though I still have my powers." "I've lost my powers, but now I want to be with you. Oops, changed my mind, I want my powers back and want to dump you."

I think times have changed. The days of Steve McQueen slapping Ali MacGraw and she just takes it are over.

Spiderman was always an insecure character, so the movies are fairly consistent that way. What I find funny is that Clark Kent in Smallville is just as insecure, even though he has no reason to be. Perhaps writers are putting too much of themselves in their writing.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DaShen
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

1 was alright, 2 was awesome.

I'll take that as validation.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
Hot!

Originally posted by: MBrown
Spiderman 1 was alright. Spiderman 2 was aweful. I don't think I want to see spiderman 3. Its they are suppose to be action comic book movies but instead they turn it into love stories and I hate love stories. Batman Begins is a good comic book movie.

Attention whore. :roll:

As shown here...most people think he has no taste:

Proof 1

Proof 2

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
i agree that 2 was much better than 1.

i'm not a big fan of venom, either. i'd have liked to see spidey in his black suit for a movie or two before it goes over to Brock.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ngvepforever2
Originally posted by: Queasy
Yes and who knows.

model turned actor.

What's with all the kirsten Dunst bashing...I think that she is pretty hot. :thumbsup:...but probably according to you I am blind...:D

Regards

ng

I don't think Dunst looks as good in Spiderman as she has in other movies. I think that is by design by Sam Raimi though. Like I said, everyone in the Spiderman movies looks pretty ordinary compared to the usual movie star looks.