Spider Vs. Fire Ants

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: lizardth
Hey those aren't fire ants!

Whatever they are, they're getting pwned. Can you imagine that thing going to work on you?

Sleep tight :)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Interesting. I would have bet on the ants. I've seen army ants and fire ants wipe out much bigger prey than that. I have a feeling those were not real fire ants.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
That's a scorpion spider. They move extremely fast in the super hot sand and have one of the most painful bites in the insect kingdom.

It's not a surprise that this type of spider has naturally evolved to deal with other fast moving threats like ants.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
If that was near an ant colony the spider would have been wasted, altho the tight water bottle arena works in the spiders favor.

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
Originally posted by: dr150
That's a scorpion spider. They move extremely fast in the super hot sand and have one of the most painful bites in the insect kingdom.

It's not a surprise that this type of spider has naturally evolved to deal with other fast moving threats like ants.

What are you talking about? That doesn't look like an scorpion spider (Arachnura) at all. Even if it was, they rarely bite, and the venom only causes minor pain. Where did you get this information?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonbull
i think it is a camel spider

prepare to get challenged by people who believe the nonsense that a camel spider is the size of a dinner plate. :roll:

oh and camel spiders, do, however, come in a lovely shade of very light brown (or something close), matching that of sand. that thing was black. not sure what the hell spider that was.
;)

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
Originally posted by: destrekor

prepare to get challenged by people who believe the nonsense that a camel spider is the size of a dinner plate. :roll:

oh and camel spiders, do, however, come in a lovely shade of very light brown (or something close), matching that of sand. that thing was black. not sure what the hell spider that was.
;)

And they aren't spiders.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: CollectiveUnconscious

;)

And they aren't spiders.

got me there, although being in the family of spiders and sharing a very similar body structure, it can be lumped together with spiders. the head, however, is very different..
damn looking at them even more, with more photos of the actual order them belong to, shows these things are even creepier looking than the ordinary spider.
:shivers:
yes... i hate spiders.

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
got me there, although being in the family of spiders and sharing a very similar body structure, it can be lumped together with spiders. the head, however, is very different..
damn looking at them even more, with more photos of the actual order them belong to, shows these things are even creepier looking than the ordinary spider.
:shivers:
yes... i hate spiders.

Not in the same family either. They are in the same order.

Originally posted by: Ranger X
Originally posted by: Lithium381
wind scorpion?
It actually looks more like a wind scorpion than a spider.

Wind scorpion = camel spider = sun spider = Solifugae