Spending on Security, Iraq Seen Hurting U.S. Cities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
I know one thing for sure. When the budget is tight around here we don't go making unnecessary expenditures.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Now we are left holding the bag and it's definitely hurting us at home in our spending for essential programs.

Isn't stopping terrorists from turning your beloved cities into a smoldering crater enough of an "essential program" for you?

which will lead to either cities having to raise the money themselves or cuts in police and fire departments.

Just get over yourself and realize that your definition of "essential" is yours and yours alone. There's plenty of us that would prefer the cities didn't get a dime from the federal government.

I know one thing for sure. When the budget is tight around here we don't go making unnecessary expenditures.

You must be talking about "unnecessary expenditures" for worthless crap like football stadiums. The cities have shown again and again where their priorities lie, and it's not in your "essential services."

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: glenn1
Now we are left holding the bag and it's definitely hurting us at home in our spending for essential programs.

Isn't stopping terrorists from turning your beloved cities into a smoldering crater enough of an "essential program" for you?

which will lead to either cities having to raise the money themselves or cuts in police and fire departments.

Just get over yourself and realize that your definition of "essential" is yours and yours alone. There's plenty of us that would prefer the cities didn't get a dime from the federal government.

You must be talking about "unnecessary expenditures" for worthless crap like football stadiums. The cities have shown again and again where their priorities lie, and it's not in your "essential services."

What does the war and occupation of Iraq have to do with stopping terrorists from attacking cities? The definition of essential I'm using includes police and fire. If you think they aren't essential next time you are the victim of a crime or your house is on fire don't bother to call the police or fire department. Take care of it yourself. Football stadiums have nothing to do with it. You are way off base. You have some very strange ideas about cities. You seem to hate them. Can you tell me why? And what is it you have against cities?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: nowareman

I've already told you that the gov't isn't held to budgetary rules like you or I are. The sooner more people realize this the better. WE need to force our gov't to change - not just bitch when they don't spend $ on things you want. If you want it to change you need to FORCE our elected officials to force themselves to change. I'm with you on this - now lets get more people to tell the gov't to create a bugetary spending guidelines that actually work.:)

CkG

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

I've already told you that the gov't isn't held to budgetary rules like you or I are. The sooner more people realize this the better. WE need to force our gov't to change - not just bitch when they don't spend $ on things you want. If you want it to change you need to FORCE our elected officials to force themselves to change. I'm with you on this - now lets get more people to tell the gov't to create a bugetary spending guidelines that actually work.:)

CkG

I'm all for more efficient and streamlined government. Let just start by abolishing the federal employee's union :)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
What does the war and occupation of Iraq have to do with stopping terrorists from attacking cities?

You have got to be kidding.

The definition of essential I'm using includes police and fire. If you think they aren't essential next time you are the victim of a crime or your house is on fire don't bother to call the police or fire department.

My fire and police services are great. That's one of the reasons i live in the suburbs, where the government knows what the hell it's doing and doesn't piss away my tax dollars like a sailor on shore leave in Bangkok. Our schools don't suck ass like your schools do either.

Football stadiums have nothing to do with it. You are way off base.

So a city like Philadelphia spending $400 million over the last couple of years to buy both a football and baseball stadium has NOTHING to do with not having money for fire and police services? You're stupider than i thought.

You have some very strange ideas about cities. You seem to hate them. Can you tell me why? And what is it you have against cities?

Because they're full of morons like you.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: rufruf44
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

I'm all for more efficient and streamlined government. Let just start by abolishing the federal employee's union :)

:Q

CkG

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: glenn1
What does the war and occupation of Iraq have to do with stopping terrorists from attacking cities?

You have got to be kidding.

The definition of essential I'm using includes police and fire. If you think they aren't essential next time you are the victim of a crime or your house is on fire don't bother to call the police or fire department.

My fire and police services are great. That's one of the reasons i live in the suburbs, where the government knows what the hell it's doing and doesn't piss away my tax dollars like a sailor on shore leave in Bangkok. Our schools don't suck ass like your schools do either.

Football stadiums have nothing to do with it. You are way off base.

So a city like Philadelphia spending $400 million over the last couple of years to buy both a football and baseball stadium has NOTHING to do with not having money for fire and police services? You're stupider than i thought.

You have some very strange ideas about cities. You seem to hate them. Can you tell me why? And what is it you have against cities?

Because they're full of morons like you.

Well if you have to resort to that type of reply I guess you really don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. The suburbs may be nice but living in the city has its advantages too. And not all cities spend money on football and baseball stadiums even though in reality sports and other types of entertainment bring people into the city and that adds money to the economy. When people want to go to the game what would you have them do? Watch it on TV. You know it has to actually be played somewhere and cities are usually where stadiums are built. They have the transportation infrastructure to handle tens of thousands of people in a few hours as well as facilities for entertainment afterwards. The schools in the city I live in are excellent. What is it you have against America's cities? Millions of Americans live and thrive there. I wouldn't think of attacking you or your suburbs so don't attack city dwellers. We're no different from you.