Speeding Ticket - What to do now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
yeah, I appeal my tickets all the time. Of course, under the presence of a good friend that's a friend of all the cops and judges at traffic court. ;)

I've never paid for any tickets that cost more than the $15 overdue meter. Beat 3 speeding tix (my friend got 6 speeding tix's waived).

All in all, if you are going to speed, look around first. Make sure you don't see any cops around, usually black or white cars.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999

<< 2) Pay via check by mail. Write the check for $5 over. They are required by law to send you a reimbursement for the difference. DO NOT CASH THIS CHECK. You will still lose the cost of the fine plus the $5, however >>

Big urban myth.

IJump

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
<< but he said he didn't clock me, but paced me with a car next to me that he clocked doing 80mph. >>

I guess my argument would be that he didn't clock me, he clocked someone else. If he was gauging my speed by the car next to mine, he can't really know who he clocked and at what point he clocked them. The other car could have slowed down 5 or 10 mph by the time the police officer looker from he radar gun to the car or he could have clocked someone in another lane. If he did in fact clock the other car at 80, why didn't he pull that car over. This sound fishy to me. If he never clocked you, I would challenge it, there are to many things that could be put into doubt. He does not have a radar reading on your car, so he can't really prove that you were speeding.

Legal Disclaimer: You take this and any other advice at your own risk, do not blame me if you take this advice and it does not work for you. This message also does not condone speeding, there is a reason for speed limits.

Mule

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Since this is my first offense I want to try to &quot;appeal&quot;. Does this mean contest the ticket?

And how do I go about contesting(appealing) the ticket via mail. I want to try to get a fine reduction as well as traffic school.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Im not sure what the laws are in CA, but i think the cop pulled you over because you passed on the right side, not the left as usual.
then again i dont know the whole situation,
good luck apealing it!

CrackRabbit

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Mule - daaaang man, I just saw you are in SLO, I'm in Arroyo Grande. Where'd you get the ticket? I got one two weeks ago Wed. in AG :frown: I don't know how long it takes them to send notice, I haven't gotten it yet. My court date on the ticket is 6/20...

Outersquare gave me some advice on getting out of the ticket that I'd be happy to fwd to you if you like...

/edit - okay I see you were in San Jose...well, it's probably not worth contesting unless you can do it by mail...

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
FACE IT YOU WERE SPEEDING AND GOT CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE A FOOL TO DRIVE 85 THE REST OF THE TRIP!!! A DAMN FOOL!!!!

YOU DESERVE TO GET ANOTHER ONE...DON'T BE CAUGHT UP IN YOUR GLORY

-(nikhil)

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
You know, if you had been driving an SUV, you would have really gotten an earful from the replies in this thread.