Question SpeedFan: Only Works When Speed Is Set To > 65%

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
Having and odd issue with SpeedFan where the Fan RPMs do not change at all, but Fan % does change on Auto setting with custom Fan Curve.

RPMs do not change at all until 65%. As soon as the Fan % reaches 65%, Fan RPMs immediately go to the max 5000+ RPMs (going from 65%-100% does not make any difference). As soon as Fan % drops below < 65% Fan RPMs go to lowest setting (going from 60% down to 0% does not make any difference).

To summarize I can only get Lowest RPMs or Highest RPMs out of SpeedFan. If Speed < 65% I get Lowest / Min RPM. If Speed > 65% I get Highest / Max RPM. Nothing in between. No matter what I try I can only get Min or Max fan setting.

BIOS only has Low / High / Auto Fan presets, I tried all 3 doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any advice on what I could try next would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware: Dell Precision T7610

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Is this the CPU fan you are talking about? Since this is a Dell, it might be a limitation of the BIOS. Though there may be an update that could help. Another alternative is to look into installing a new, better, cooler, that would probably run plenty quiet AND cool at the same time.

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
Is this the CPU fan you are talking about? Since this is a Dell, it might be a limitation of the BIOS. Though there may be an update that could help. Another alternative is to look into installing a new, better, cooler, that would probably run plenty quiet AND cool at the same time.

Thanks. Yeah I had same thoughts as well and tried multiple BIOS versions but issue was still there. I feel it likely has to do with voltage values DELL uses.

I worked around the problem by installing an extra fan in front of the CPU cooler to give it a push / pull setup. This helped a lot, but still would be nice to get SpeedFan working so I could define a custom fan curve.