Speed Traps: Georgia clears small town of running speed trap, OK that 4 lane highway is 45 mph

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-26-2004 Georgia State patrol clears City of Arcade police of running speed trap

ARCADE, Ga. - The Georgia State Patrol has cleared the Arcade Police Department of accusations that its officers had been running a speed trap to boost the city's revenue.

During a four-month investigation, the State Patrol looked at the number of tickets issued to motorists traveling less than 17 mph over the speed limit.

Under state law, the police department would have been guilty of running a speed trap if the revenue generated from those speeding tickets constituted more than 40 percent of its budget.

State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright said the state enacted these laws in the early 1970s to deal with speed trap problems.

"They were enacted to combat the perception of law enforcement hiding behind bushes," Wright said Saturday.

Arcade Police Chief Dennis Bell has said that his officers concentrate on giving tickets to motorists traveling more than 17 mph over the speed limit...Bell has attributed Arcade's increasing speeding problems to the 2002 completion of the U.S. Highway 129 bypass, where the speed limit drops to 45 mph just inside the Arcade city limit, a decision made by the state Department of Transportation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This town of Arcade is 2 miles north of me. They built a 4 lane limited access highway through the middle of farm fields where a road like this is least needed. All the development is south of me where 20,000 houses and countless strip center stores, restaurants, gas stations etc is being built on a 2 lane Country road that the Head of the DOT already said he has no plans on upgrading the road for at least 10 years.

It couldn't be that the DOT and the Town got together along with the Politicians for this Pork Barrel road and purposely set the speed limit on a clear straight 4 lane highway at 45 mph for revenue? No, of course not.
rolleye.gif

----------------

NewRomeSucks.com helps to slay America's most infamous speed trap

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-01-29-speedtrap-usat_x.htm
"For a half-century, this village of 60 people has harvested a run-down,
one-fifth-mile stretch of U.S. 40 near Columbus for millions of dollars in
traffic fines. In good years, police bring in more than $400,000, more than
90% of town revenue. Nearly all of the money goes back into the police force."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/stossel_gmabtickettrap030131.html
"New Rome, Ohio is one of the smallest towns in America, but it's big on
tickets. New Rome's cops give out more than 2,000 tickets a year ? pretty
remarkable because the town's main street is just four blocks long. "

http://www.nbc4columbus.com/news/2732242/detail.html
"CHAUNCEY, Ohio -- Voters in the southeast Ohio community of Chauncey will
decide in November (2004) whether to dissolve their village."

---

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:51:07 -0700
Subject: [Ernest Hancock Update] Speed Traps

(My show yesterday was about a man arrested for warning his neighbors about
a speed trap ahead. A listener sent me this)

<http://www.newromesucks.com/>http://www.newromesucks.com/

You want to learn about grassroots activism?

Go through every page of this web site dedicated to the punishing of a
speed-trap (and that ain't half of it) town home of 60 residents, 15 cops
and $700,000 in annual revenue.

Well, one night they pulled over the wrong guy (Jim). Jim went to NRome's
court and got screwed. The judge was fond of saying, "I don't care what
Ohio Revised Code says..."

So, he got a web site. Got some news coverage. Got contacted by all the
other folks around central Ohio who got snagged, abused, and brutilized in
this town. Created a web page. Did three marches through the town last
spring. Got some more news coverage.... and... the police department
disbanded and now the Ohio Atty General is suing (papers filed last month)
to have the Village dissolved.

Breath deep... Ahhhhhh Freedom.

Rick
Inspired

"Declare Your Independence with Ernest Hancock
M-F Noon to 1pm - KFNX 1100 - Phoenix, Az.
Heard across the state at 50,000 watts
or live on the Internet at <http://www.ernesthancock.com/>www.ernesthancock.com
Full Archive at
<http://www.ernesthancock.com/archive>http://www.ernesthancock.com/archive

The Year's Number One Freedom Event
<http://www.freedomsummit.com/>www.freedomsummit.com

Century 21's Donna Hancock gives you
Free and Full access to the MLS (Multiple Listing Service)
at <http://www.donnahancock.com/>www.donnahancock.com

The Philosophy of Liberty:
<http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf>http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
And I thought Tuxedo, NY was bad!

(Still one of the worst speed-traps in nation):disgust:

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: Triumph Hooray for the downfall of New Rome!
New Rome, OMG THATS WHERE THE ANTICHRIST WILL COME FROM!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!! :D

Out of interest, Genesys, how much of that End Times / Illuminati stuff do you actually believe?

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Thank god that Finland is the least corrupted country in the world. Sometimes it goes to far for example its not common to tip the waiter because its kind of bribing ;).

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dpm
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: Triumph Hooray for the downfall of New Rome!
New Rome, OMG THATS WHERE THE ANTICHRIST WILL COME FROM!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!! :D

Out of interest, Genesys, how much of that End Times / Illuminati stuff do you actually believe?

ummmm, i dont really believe all that much of it, but i find it highly fascinating.

and do you mean actual scripture, or just any fiction/non-fiction stuff you can pick up off the net?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
This town of Arcade is 2 miles north of me. They built a 4 lane limited access highway through the middle of farm fields where a road like this is least needed. All the development is south of me where 20,000 houses and countless strip center stores, restaurants, gas stations etc is being built on a 2 lane Country road that the Head of the DOT already said he has no plans on upgrading the road for at least 10 years.

1-26-2004 Georgia State patrol clears City of Arcade police of running speed trap

ARCADE, Ga. - The Georgia State Patrol has cleared the Arcade Police Department of accusations that its officers had been running a speed trap to boost the city's revenue.

During a four-month investigation, the State Patrol looked at the number of tickets issued to motorists traveling less than 17 mph over the speed limit.

Under state law, the police department would have been guilty of running a speed trap if the revenue generated from those speeding tickets constituted more than 40 percent of its budget.

State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright said the state enacted these laws in the early 1970s to deal with speed trap problems.

"They were enacted to combat the perception of law enforcement hiding behind bushes," Wright said Saturday.

Arcade Police Chief Dennis Bell has said that his officers concentrate on giving tickets to motorists traveling more than 17 mph over the speed limit...Bell has attributed Arcade's increasing speeding problems to the 2002 completion of the U.S. Highway 129 bypass, where the speed limit drops to 45 mph just inside the Arcade city limit, a decision made by the state Department of Transportation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It couldn't be that the DOT and the Town got together along with the Politicians for this Pork Barrel road and purposely set the speed limit on a clear straight 4 lane highway at 45 mph for revenue? No, of course not.
rolleye.gif

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: alchemize
Does it go from 65 to 45 or 55 to 45?

Not sure, will have to check again. Most 4 lane Highways are 70, so 70 to 45?

Interstates are 70, but Georgia State Highways are NOT 70. Secondly, if you live anywhere near Gainesville(like your proclaim) then Arcade is NOT near you. Arcade is about 2/3's of the way between Gainesville and Athens. Why do you keep lying?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mill

Interstates are 70, but Georgia State Highways are NOT 70. Secondly, if you live anywhere near Gainesville(like your proclaim) then Arcade is NOT near you. Arcade is about 2/3's of the way between Gainesville and Athens. Why do you keep lying?

If you would pay attention I am at least 15 miles southeast of Gainesville but we are stuck with a Gainesville address.
My backyard is literally on the Jackson county line. A dirt road leads to Pendegrass Flea Market, then Jefferson, then Arcade. Very close by to where I live. I am probably closer to Arcade than Gainesville in fact.

365 is a 4 lane State Highway at 65 mph so why not 129? It doesn't matter most of the time you get stuck behind guys in pickups doing 35 mph or less anyway, I'll never understand what it is about pickups that they can't do the speed limit. The gas pedal only goes so far on them for some reason.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

If you would pay attention I am at least 15 miles southeast of Gainesville but we are stuck with a Gainesville address.
My backyard is literally on the Jackson county line. A dirt road leads to Pendegrass Flea Market, then Jefferson, then Arcade. Very close by to where I live. I am probably closer to Arcade than Gainesville in fact.

365 is a 4 lane State Highway at 65 mph so why not 129? It doesn't matter most of the time you get stuck behind guys in pickups doing 35 mph or less anyway, I'll never understand what it is about pickups that they can't do the speed limit. The gas pedal only goes so far on them for some reason.

If the goddamn place is two miles NORTH of you(Arcade that is) then you would be in Jackson County and wouldn't live in your current house. You live in River Elan off of McEver Lake. That is at LEAST 10-15 miles NORTH of Arcade and I am being very conservative. Regardless it is IMPOSSIBLE for a place to be North of you unless you live South of it. Since you live North of it the world would freaking combust onto itself because that would be physically impossible.

General Map of where your subdivision is and the map follows to Arcade.

Now for anyone that gets pissed, I am just posting a general map of McEver Lake Rd(a Road that Dave has mentioned before on these forums, and a place that is listed on his River Elan website that he always posts links to or talks about).

I am just showing how there is no damn way for you to live within even 10 freaking miles of Arcade unless the friggin world explodes. The lies and exaggerations are just getting to be too much. Everything you post is either exaggerated, a blatant lie, or misleading.

Anyone else who kept posting lies and exaggerations would be called a troll, but somehow it is ok for you to do so.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

If the goddamn place is two miles NORTH of you(Arcade that is) then you would be in Jackson County and wouldn't live in your current house. You live in River Elan off of McEver Lake. That is at LEAST 10-15 miles NORTH of Arcade and I am being very conservative. Regardless it is IMPOSSIBLE for a place to be North of you unless you live South of it. Since you live North of it the world would freaking combust onto itself because that would be physically impossible.

Now for anyone that gets pissed, I am just posting a general map of McEver Lake Rd(a Road that Dave has mentioned before on these forums, and a place that is listed on his River Elan website that he always posts links to or talks about).

I am just showing how there is no damn way for you to live within even 10 freaking miles of Arcade unless the friggin world explodes. The lies and exaggerations are just getting to be too much. Everything you post is either exaggerated, a blatant lie, or misleading.

Anyone else who kept posting lies and exaggerations would be called a troll, but somehow it is ok for you to do so.

So What's your point? Gainesville is 15 miles back the other way and Arcade is 15 miles that way, I'm right smack between them so what is your problem? Should I have an Arcade address instead of Gainesville?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

So What's your point? Gainesville is 15 miles back the other way and Arcade is 15 miles that way, I'm right smack between them so what is your problem? Should I have an Arcade address instead of Gainesville?

You must have more drugs in your veins than a freaking research monkey.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

So I was refering to the trio of small towns they ran the 4 lane highway through the farms where it starts. It starts off at Talmo, then Pendergrass, then Jefferson and Arcade. It's only 13 miles if I take 53 across I-85 and get to Arcade at 129. I can get there faster than Gainesville.

So why are you saying Arcade is not near me? and all bent out of shape too???

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

No, no, no. Dave has been called a troll on numerous occasions. (I should know ;) ) Dave is a liar. Plain and simple. But I have a feeling he's just this way on the computer. I think , and it's sad, that Dave gets off by getting reactions from internet people.

Remember that old Off Topic member Lord Raiden? He used to do the exact same thing. Lie for reaction. I had a conversation with him on another forum (a forum where he had a completely different persona...I think you remember Mill) about why he acted the way he did on Anandtech...it was all for reaction. Dave could be his twin.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

So I was refering to the trio of small towns they ran the 4 lane highway through the farms where it starts. It starts off at Talmo, then Pendergrass, then Jefferson and Arcade. It's only 13 miles if I take 53 across I-85 and get to Arcade at 129. I can get there faster than Gainesville.

So why are you saying Arcade is not near me? and all bent out of shape too???

Because you said 2 miles and it is nowhere NEAR two miles from you. It's either another lie or exaggeration, because you like to meddle in everybody's affairs around you. You have to dominate your neighbors and family with your views. You think your home value will drop because of tract housing 10 miles away, yet I bet the real reason your property is dropping is because no one wants to deal with you and your HOA! You complained how people didn't want to pay their dues or drop out of the HOA, and you couldn't understand why. It is because of YOU!

You keep telling people what is right for you, and you refuse to let them make their own decisions. You post misleading thread titles(about 10 on the front page of P&N) and you take every problem in Georgia as if it is in your own back yard. Arcade is 15 miles from you NOT 2, but you wanted to make it appear like you had a personal horse in the game.

Don't think for one minute that you didn't hurt your job status with all the places you were fired from because of your behavior. You politicize everything in life and it gets you in trouble. Maybe radio would be the perfect fit for you? There is such a certain thing as not seeing the forest for the trees...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gaard

No, no, no. Dave has been called a troll on numerous occasions. (I should know ;) ) Dave is a liar. Plain and simple. But I have a feeling he's just this way on the computer. I think , and it's sad, that Dave gets off by getting reactions from internet people.

Remember that old Off Topic member Lord Raiden? He used to do the exact same thing. Lie for reaction. I had a conversation with him on another forum (a forum where he had a completely different persona...I think you remember Mill) about why he acted the way he did on Anandtech...it was all for reaction. Dave could be his twin.

The President lied, I am not lying.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Good point, but just read his River Elan stuff. He seems to meddle in anyone's life that lives anywhere near him. I'd be selling my home for a loss if he moved near me. I like out here where I live; the neighbors leave each other alone and there is no huge divisive issues to deal with.

I think Dave would make a great fit for the radio after all. He seems to have a problem with not getting fired for his "political" problems anyway. ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Good point, but just read his River Elan stuff. He seems to meddle in anyone's life that lives anywhere near him. I'd be selling my home for a loss if he moved near me. I like out here where I live; the neighbors leave each other alone and there is no huge divisive issues to deal with.

I think Dave would make a great fit for the radio after all. He seems to have a problem with not getting fired for his "political" problems anyway. ;)

Good maybe you don't have neighbors that should've bought Trailers instead of a house. These people park their cars, trucks, campers, trailers half on the street half on the grass where we have big enough driveways to park 6 vehicles. They are lazy, slob trashy sob's. You may like people taking your home value down but I don't.