Speculation: Will intel be able to challenge AMD in the HEDT market?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
God, I feel old now. Seems like only yesterday Intel were the ones whose crudely slapped-together MCM solutions were being widely jeered and ridiculed, and AMD's monolithic designs were being heralded as the way of the future. :p
QFT. I still remember the 'sticky taped C2Q' jokes, but now MCM is being touted as the way forward :)

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
QFT. I still remember the 'sticky taped C2Q' jokes, but now MCM is being touted as the way forward :)

QFnotT. That's because it was 2 dies 'sticky taped' together. Or if you prefer, 'glued' like intel calls it. Also, obviously it IS much different today due to the size of the transistors and the complexity of developing these nodes. Scaling is is touted as the way forward because it is the way forward. How is intel going to be able to compete against 32, 64, 128 cores without the use of MCMs.

Assuming AMD continues their spot on execution, what could intel have that can compete with Castle Peak with Zen2 cores due out next year? Maybe they will just abandon the HEDT market altogether. I bet they would prefer that than play second fiddle in the highest performance market.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
QFnotT. That's because it was 2 dies 'sticky taped' together. Or if you prefer, 'glued' like intel calls it. Also, obviously it IS much different today due to the size of the transistors and the complexity of developing these nodes. Scaling is is touted as the way forward because it is the way forward. How is intel going to be able to compete against 32, 64, 128 cores without the use of MCMs.

Assuming AMD continues their spot on execution, what could intel have that can compete with Castle Peak with Zen2 cores due out next year? Maybe they will just abandon the HEDT market altogether. I bet they would prefer that than play second fiddle in the highest performance market.
Lol, I'm not disagreeing with you. Do you see me saying anywhere that going forward monolithic was superior to MCM?

I'm just slightly amused at the 'shifting goalposts' WR to monolithic vs MCM over the years. They each have their merits though it's hard to argue against the epic (excuse the pun) core counts that MCM can provide for the HEDT platform.

Reactions: PeterScott

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Intel didnt abandon the high-end in the P4 days, they are definitely will not abandon HEDT this time.

If you used the past to predict the future there wouldn't even be a need for this response to your statement....Only time will tell what the future holds.