Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 187 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Well, that is what you get from 15% higher IPC.It is expected, if CPU core has several additional improvements.

Isn't IPC tangential to memory latency/BW ? ZEN2 already has IPC advantage over Skylake cores and very sizable deficit in games and AotS benchmark.
My point is, to get results these good, AMD must have done something to memory subsystem, like cutting quite some latency, core/L3 redesign comes as part of it and on top of that.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Isn't IPC tangential to memory latency/BW ? ZEN2 already has IPC advantage over Skylake cores and very sizable deficit in games and AotS benchmark.
My point is, to get results these good, AMD must have done something to memory subsystem, like cutting quite some latency, core/L3 redesign comes as part of it and on top of that.

Don't have to take the long way to memory if you hit the L3. It's harder to predict how much the unified L3 contributes compared to a straight up increase in cache size but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the single biggest upgrade in gaming benchmarks, even with the rumoured IF speed increase.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Don't have to take the long way to memory if you hit the L3. It's harder to predict how much the unified L3 contributes compared to a straight up increase in cache size but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the single biggest upgrade in gaming benchmarks, even with the rumoured IF speed increase.

Some reddit guy ran VTune:

Looks like straight and hard 30% memory bottleneck, for L3 cache to help, data has to get there somehow, either by evictions from L2 or prefetch from memory, and that prefetch must be correct too, or else it will compete for memory subsystem resources.
Unified L3 will surely help, the question was is that the only improvement they put in.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

Looks like straight and hard 30% memory bottleneck, for L3 cache to help, data has to get there somehow, either by evictions from L2 or prefetch from memory, and that prefetch must be correct too, or else it will compete for memory subsystem resources.
Unified L3 will surely help, the question was is that the only improvement they put in.

I would hope not considering it's a "New architecture/family". Besides, it has to have SMT4, remember? :laughing:

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017

Seems a bit difficult to have a conslusion to say the least, but yeah if this leak is true, Zen3 would have a huge step forward at gaming performance, intel's lead at gaming is vanishing......

OTOH I agree this uplift would mostly due to latency optimization and not only just IPC increase.
to have such a difference between "std 10900K" and tuned 10700K the config of that 10900K must really suck

Nereus77

Dec 30, 2016
Wow that 8 core looks like a beast! Beats the 10 core Intel right off the bat, amazing!
I wonder what a 5600 can do? Go toe-to-toe with an i7 9700K and beat it?

Reactions: Tlh97 and cytg111

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011

I'm not to worried about getting data into the caches, games loop over reasonably small data sets every frame with relatively small changes. You can see the impact cache has on memory bound games in the difference between Zen1 and Zen 2 in something like CSGO.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Remember, AMD said they solved the memory controller issues that plagued previous Zen CPU's with latency. I guess a single L3 cache is the way they are going with Zen3. The big question I have is regarding the coupled mode with the memory clock and fabric clock. Will performance be the same if unequal memory dividers are used. If coupled mode is still required. What will be the max memory frequency that Zen3 will support. They say Zen2 could do 3800mhz in coupled mode but I found 3600mhz worked best on my ancient B350. 3733mhz worked but memory ghost issues appeared which introduced stability issues for me.

Will Zen3 support memory @ 4000mhz or more? Or does Zen3 eliminate all the previous Zen limitations with regards to memory. It would be nice if Zen3 supports whatever speed your memory and motherboard can do.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I feel like there are a few different things going on here. The unified L3 effectively doubles the L3 size as seen by any single process. So, if the game working set has high locality, but spills a bit from a 16MB L3, unifying the L3 to an effective 32MB will be a big help there. The second thing is that, from what rumors we've heard, the IF links between the CCD and the IOD retain the same number of pins. Before, there were two separate pathways between the two chips, one for one CCX, and one for the other. With a unified L3 and a single 8 core CCX, that means that there is a dual ported link between the CCD and the IOD, or, the single link has about twice the bus width. We also hear that the IF speed has increased. What the sum total of all of this means is that, in a situation where there are few heavy threads, such as in most games, there is a massive increase in available bandwidth between the individual core and the memory controller.

Granted, that's all based on rumors that have been passed around, but it certainly speaks to what we're seeing here.

I'd be interested in seeing the memory setup for that 5800x...

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Checking how many weeks to save the little cents.... 5600/5600X should be good enough to replace my 2600.

Sort of on the same boat. Except I'm thinking I'll go to an 8 core version to upgrade my 2600X. Figure it will last awhile. RAM would probably be become a problem before that with a mere 16GB.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I'm eager to see benchmarks and I hope the 5800x is tested with multiple RAM speeds from some reputable source.

I have DDR-4-2933 RAM and I'd like to not be forced to upgrade my sticks if I choose to upgrade my Ryzen 2700 to whatever the low-end 8-core Zen 3 ends up as.

Reactions: Tlh97 and cytg111

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Yep, more or less the same.
I have acceptable 3200 sticks, 2x16GB. And I really don't intend to replace them.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looks interesting so far. The 8th can't come soon enough. Of course some more leaks would be welcomed.

I have a 3700x currently and debating on upgrading it. I don't really need more power, but the tinkerer in me is interested. I guess it depends on the pricing in the end. I can always kick down the 3700x to my son's rig and sell off his 3600 to offset the cost.

It would be nice to see how far my b-die kit will go. It was a pointless adventure with the 3700x once the 1:2 divider kicked in. I figure somewhere around 4000-4200MHz @ C16 is doable.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I'm just going to drop this in here for some evidence of the staying power of good old Haswell-E.

I've been waiting for Zen to eliminate the various real world performance deficits it's had vs. my 5960x. I think this might actually be the time I've been waiting for.