Question Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series pricing

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series retail pricing

• 3700X -> 8 cores at $330, 3800X -> 12 cores at $500, 16 core possibly at higher price.

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • 3700X -> 12 cores at $330, 3800X -> 16 cores at $500

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • They are both too expensive. AMD's high end can't cost that much because no one will buy it

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • They are both too cheap. AMD will go after market share at all cost.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
Apr 4, 2017
measlytwerp.live
I am just saying that it's being sold as gospel that its memory Latency and I haven't seen anyone but Wendal testing it since the patch. Even the ones that are still an issue. Are we absolutely sure it's memory latency and not Windows being Windows? It just reminds me of the game performance being low because of CCX to CCX latency when Ryzen launched sure it might not help. But there was a lot more wrong including again Windows's schedular. But it became gospel because it was the one thing people could see a major difference in early.
It's definitely not memory latency and just a Windows thing.

maddie

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2010
Its not far off being that simple.

If AMD have to supply X chips for consoles, then they can devote X+% chips to that order. Anything left over can be either repurposed or sold to the console OEMs anyway later on.

If they have a shortage of Zen2 chiplets - they absolutely will be putting them into the most profitable products first. In which case do not expect to see Ryzen 3 or 5.

*I suppose, if yields were junk and they were harvesting loads - you might see R3/R5 as a means to get these semi-broken chips out the door.

A lower speed with tighter power use is also same as EPYC.
I'm fairly certain that this iteration of the core (Zen2) on 7nm will not be used for the consoles. Being as cost conscious as they have to be, most likely the chips will use 7nm+ which is expected to bring lower cost as one of it's main advantages. EUV, less mask steps, higher yields.

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
I will also say that much of this 2990wx discussion also is highly influenced by windows. In linux, you don't have near the problem, at least in my experience.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Some of you guys are speculating in the wrong speculation thread it looks like.

Atari2600

Nov 22, 2016
Some of you guys are speculating in the wrong speculation thread it looks like.
If we were speculating on Intel, then there is a chance that we might find out what is actually going on.

With AMD? Not so much. :confused:

[Or :D if you are concerned with system security]

Apr 27, 2000
The posts above mine have speculation that should be in the other speculation thread is all.
Honestly, if @Atari2600 agrees to run some tests with his 2950x, I would be thrilled if he would post the results in the main speculation thread (rather than this price speculation thread).