Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
i mean even if its biased thats a good thing ASSUMING that its true..
to be fair to everybody i treat this week leaks as fake anyways since i cant believe that amd managed to not leak a single thing for a year now and suddenly everybody has leaks...
they are obviously controlled ones to sandbagin and gauge how well its recieved but i assume that either its well below what we are seeing or this leaks are not for navi 21

Of course rumors must be verified - no one should trust leakers blindly. But leaks suddendly appearing have a logic - as they start when the boards arrive to AIB partners... which may be very difficult to control for AMD. And we saw not only leaked scores... there are PCB shots, and now even box shots. This is indicative that the boards are ready for the launch.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well, not if you're a NVIDIA fan

But anyway, the die sizes definitely didn't add up to the rumoured cu counts. But that was assumed to be due to the infinity cache. Still, this seems to be next level sandbagging AMD has engaged in

It's even a good year for NVidia fans. The 3080 is basically a Ti card that's back to $700. The only real gripe is the memory maybe being an issue several years down the road.

People like to pick on Ampere for the power consumption, but as numerous people have pointed out you can undervolt and get the card down to a more typical power draw without losing more than a few percentage points of performance.

AMD releasing a really good card if their own doesn't suddenly make the 3080 a bad card. It looks like NVidia will have an edge in ray tracing still, so there's a reason to prefer it over AMD's cards, or at least some excuse you can use to comfort yourself if you're a real diehard.

2020 is going to be remembered as a banner year for great computer components.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Even if the cards are very impressive, AMD will price it in line with Nvidia's prices. So the only advantage will be more ram. Let's see what how else they offer to attract buyers. Game bundles, or something.

DDH

May 30, 2015
It's even a good year for NVidia fans. The 3080 is basically a Ti card that's back to $700. The only real gripe is the memory maybe being an issue several years down the road.

People like to pick on Ampere for the power consumption, but as numerous people have pointed out you can undervolt and get the card down to a more typical power draw without losing more than a few percentage points of performance.

AMD releasing a really good card if their own doesn't suddenly make the 3080 a bad card. It looks like NVidia will have an edge in ray tracing still, so there's a reason to prefer it over AMD's cards, or at least some excuse you can use to comfort yourself if you're a real diehard.

You misunderstand me, i don't cast shade on the 3080 but rather the lack of availability

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Even if the cards are very impressive, AMD will price it in line with Nvidia's prices. So the only advantage will be more ram. Let's see what how else they offer to attract buyers. Game bundles, or something.
It all depends on manufacturing. IF both AMD & Nvidia can't supply the total market demand, then prices will be fairly stable with maybe small adjustments. If on the other hand, we get no supply constraints, a price battle will ensue for market share.

With Zen3 here, falling prices in Nand and ram, possibly a GPU price battle, early next year will be a amazing time to assemble a new PC.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
The quiet before the storm makes landfall on the 28th. It'll be interesting to get a better idea of what Big Navi brings to the arena. Gun to a knife fight? A knife to a gunfight? Should be worth a watch at minimum.

Nether.

It will not be competition. It will be a black hole of endless consumer demand that both manufacturers shovel as much product into as they can.

( in other words, I am speculating both manufacturers will be dealing with supply shortages for the next six months+ )

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Of course rumors must be verified - no one should trust leakers blindly. But leaks suddendly appearing have a logic - as they start when the boards arrive to AIB partners... which may be very difficult to control for AMD. And we saw not only leaked scores... there are PCB shots, and now even box shots. This is indicative that the boards are ready for the launch.

By now it's well established that there are hundreds of thousands of people that do not care at all if the leaks are real or not, if the leaker is telling some truth or not, people will believe in anything. Heck, some even seems to take pride in their own deceptions showing off their knowledge of the latest "leaks".
This a whole new industry.
They can say anything without consequences and still make money with the views. All this secrecy was a blessing, I can bet that some are having plenty of fun making bets trying to predict how good these new GPUs will be.

On a side bet it's a pity that Jim from AdoredTV decided to quit business. If he could take things less seriously and try to avoid calling out everyone else he could live making a decent buck. But yeah, I give credit to him for sticking with his principles.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

The 3080 is a x080 class, hence the name. The 2080 was just atrocious when compared to the previous generation.

The Ti card is the 3090 which is a price increase over previous gen.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006

You are surely joking right? Without seeing actual supply for the Radeons, 2020 will be remembered as the year of components no one could buy. Just like it is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year for everything else.

Reactions: Leeea

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If AMD is able to get their uArch situation sorted out, I wonder if it makes sense for them to have their GPU designs lag behind on an older node (sort of like NV did with Turing) to keep their costs down, margins up, and availability high.

Lot of discussion in this thread about relatively low margin RDNA parts competing with fab capacity with Zen 3.

Essentially, AMD would stagger the tick/tock of Zen with a Tock/Tick of RDNA so that their GPUs would get their Arch update when Zen gets its Node update, then vice versa.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Now if only AMD can price the 6800XT at $650 and have good availability then we can truly say consumers are the beneficiary in this next gen GPU wars.
I agree with the good availability bit (checked Newegg and all 3080s are out of stock). But, if AMD delivers 3080 performance, their GPUs should sell for around the same price ($750+/-). It's just business. As consumers, we are getting a really large performance boost this cycle - we can be glad for that. If our budget is lower than that, both companies will offer products for those segments too. I'm hoping to upgrade my 1070 next year sometime and I expect to get a huge boost in performance for around the same $$s.

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
I agree with the good availability bit (checked Newegg and all 3080s are out of stock). But, if AMD delivers 3080 performance, their GPUs should sell for around the same price ($750+/-). It's just business. As consumers, we are getting a really large performance boost this cycle - we can be glad for that. If our budget is lower than that, both companies will offer products for those segments too. I'm hoping to upgrade my 1070 next year sometime and I expect to get a huge boost in performance for around the same $$s.
Is it just me, feeling economically assaulted, by the humongous rise in pricing?
Remember buying fairly high end around the 300 USD mark. That feels like fiction today, what happened. Until now, I have never paid much more than that either, feels kind of discusting that the prices have more than tripled in several cases. It's like, the same performance per dollar, every year, if you want something better, you have to pay up.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Is it just me, feeling economically assaulted, by the humongous rise in pricing?
Remember buying fairly high end around the 300 USD mark. That feels like fiction today, what happened. Until now, I have never paid much more than that either, feels kind of discusting that the prices have more than tripled in several cases. It's like, the same performance per dollar, every year, if you want something better, you have to pay up.

It is exactly like that, but it seems some people have big pockets and dont care.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
By the way, here is another rumor/leak about Navi21 game performance.
And yes, take it with your grain of salt.

So according to him, in the presentation AMD will show the 6800XT in 10 games where they win/lose 8/2 against a 3080 at 1440p and win/draw/lose 5/3/2 against a 3080 at 4K. We'll see how real his leaks are in a few days.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah, $300 bought a great card, 15 years ago. By average US inflation rates, that's $400 today. That doesn't include the increased cost of designing and producing leading edge large die GPUs.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
No big pockets here. Just an understanding of the business case. Mind you, if AMD's 6800XT matched the 3080 and cost $300, my wife would be buying me a nice Christmas present ;)

Most likely you won't be unwrapping, swapping gpus, rewrapping a 6800XT box for Christmas. I see no hope for the scenario....Sadly.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I don't like the fact that for sub 300$ GPUs we will have to wait till Q1 of next year.

Be it from Nvidia, or from AMD. The only thing that we might get is price cuts on current gen hardware. Maybe...

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
I don't like the fact that for sub 300$ GPUs we will have to wait till Q1 of next year.

Be it from Nvidia, or from AMD. The only thing that we might get is price cuts on current gen hardware. Maybe...
Even that seems non existing for GPUs. Like they all vanish. The ol stock of 2080tis worth a small percent of the former price? Poof.
Any 5700xt's for 150-200usd soon?
Don't think so.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Even that seems non existing for GPUs. Like they all vanish. The ol stock of 2080tis worth a small percent of the former price? Poof.
Any 5700xt's for 150-200usd soon?
Don't think so.
I would be happy with even 5600 XT price cut to 200$. Anything.